Choosing most meaningful activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSTPround2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like your feedback on my my choices for most meaningful activities. Right now I am planning on choosing my shadowing experience and an award I won for a design project in my biomedical engineering curriculum. For shadowing I am stressing my enthusiasm for the process of medicine and then for the project understanding the target population, how that is utilized when translating research, and communicating the relevance of my work in the big picture.

My question comes in what I should choose for my third. Right now, I am considering clinical volunteering (where I would stress collaboration in medicine), a student org I am the president of and hosted a conference for (where I would stress collaboration in research and communication between industry and academia), or a fellowship I received (where I would talk about grant application process and planning a research project)

Right now I am leaning towards choosing the student org but would be interested in hearing what you all think

Members don't see this ad.

I would like your feedback on my my choices for most meaningful activities. Right now I am planning on choosing my shadowing experience and an award I won for a design project in my biomedical engineering curriculum. For shadowing I am stressing my enthusiasm for the process of medicine and then for the project understanding the target population, how that is utilized when translating research, and communicating the relevance of my work in the big picture.

My question comes in what I should choose for my third. Right now, I am considering clinical volunteering (where I would stress collaboration in medicine), a student org I am the president of and hosted a conference for (where I would stress collaboration in research and communication between industry and academia), or a fellowship I received (where I would talk about grant application process and planning a research project)

Right now I am leaning towards choosing the student org but would be interested in hearing what you all think
Choose the experiences that are most meaningful to you. It's easy to distinguish the person that chose experiences based on internal values from the person that chose experiences by soliciting advice from others.

Reactions: 1 user
The experiences are another place to show up your love for becoming a clinician-scientist. You must select at least one research experience as the most meaningful. Often a clinical experience is also highlighted as most meaningful. After all, your application must go thru Medical and Graduate reviewers, and should be clear why not just scientist or not just physician, rather than pursuing both.

When describing your research experiences, focus upon the hypothesis that you were testing rather than just describing the techniques that you used. In the research experience essay, you can expand how these experiences turn you on into a clinician scientist and have led to presentations/manuscripts (if any).

Members don't see this ad :)
To echo what others have said, as long as you dump your heart and soul into describing the activity you'll be alright. Stay gold ponyboy.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I am sticking with my heart and going with the student org. Will also work to incorporate a bit more passion in since I think I am a bit too logical / too the point haha