choosing specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to work in a university health center; would primary care be the most common specialty for this? i hate working with older populations as well as dealing with families and only enjoy the university setting and its patient population; i also do not want to go into academic medicine so is primary care the best option for me in order to work in a university health center?

Members don't see this ad.

So you want to work in a university setting without doing academics? That seems kinda tough.

I think op is talking about working at student health at an university judging by his older posts. Yes, I was confused too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think op is talking about working at student health at an university judging by his older posts. Yes, I was confused too.

Took me awhile to figure it out as well.

To the OP...either FM or (preferably) IM with a women's health focus. In a college student health setting you're going to be spending a lot of time looking through a speculum but still need to do some general IM/prev med sort of stuff.

Also, expect to top out ~125K salary-wise. On the upside, <40h/wk and never being on call has a nice ring to it. Tack on the chance for IBR/Loan forgiveness (assuming it still exists 1 or 2 election cycles down the road) and the chance to do some BS public health research that could get you $70-140k in NIH Loan repayment grant funds and you might find yourself debt-free, working hours that would make a banker cry and still score a low 6 figure salary.

Alternatively, do Peds or Med/Peds with an adolescent fellowship and do PP adolescent med.

how competitive are physician jobs in university student health centers, since it seems to be a nice lifestyle even with less money

how competitive are physician jobs in university student health centers, since it seems to be a nice lifestyle even with less money

High turnover. People usually dont stay

People who work these gigs are usually part time physicians who care more about their family and their kids then they do their work. Thus, part time.

The salary CAPS at low 6 figures. CAPS as in "if you are the medical director and work every day" you get 6 figures. Most positions are sub 100k. Working for an undergraduate or university health care facility does NOT qualify you for IBR - students paying 50,000 dollars a year are not underprivileged.

People DONT want these jobs because they are boring. People LEAVE these jobs because there are better ones around and the pay is crap. People TAKE these JOBS because they are just that: a job