• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

All Branch Topic (ABT) Choosing state to license in?

ramborhino

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2013
For those active duty how did you choose which state to license in? I know you just need any state license to practice in the military but feel like there are a few other factors that play into it.
-The state with cheapest licensing fees that accepts your licensing exam.
-The state that you practice in the military, so you can moonlight.
-The state you will eventually land up in after your service.

Thanks for any insight/tips!

About the Ads

ModifiedBass

7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2013
  1. Dentist
If you do the AEGD with the military then don't you get the NY license without need for taking the licensing exam?

From USAREC Form 601-37.26, signed prior to accession during 4th year - "I understand I must take and pass Part I and II National Boards and a State or Regional Board examination which will lead to state licensure prior to entering active duty. I further understand I must obtain a valid unrestricted dental license within 1 year of graduation . . . New graduates who have not achieved state licensure after the 1 year waiver period are subjected to involuntary separation and recoupment of any or all incentive/scholarship monies paid. Failure to complete this requirement will result in revocation of appointment and/or active duty orders."

So no, you cannot just complete the AEGD 1-year program.

ramborhino

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2013
From USAREC Form 601-37.26, signed prior to accession during 4th year - "I understand I must take and pass Part I and II National Boards and a State or Regional Board examination which will lead to state licensure prior to entering active duty. I further understand I must obtain a valid unrestricted dental license within 1 year of graduation . . . New graduates who have not achieved state licensure after the 1 year waiver period are subjected to involuntary separation and recoupment of any or all incentive/scholarship monies paid. Failure to complete this requirement will result in revocation of appointment and/or active duty orders."

So no, you cannot just complete the AEGD 1-year program.

Interesting little difference between the branches then. Navy requires us to have license within 12 months of graduation, or within 18 months if doing AEGD/GPR. Navy gives option to pursue a license through PGY-1 program. No regional licensing exam is required if you want to go this route, but you do forfeit the 20K bonus for the first year so there is little incentive to go this route, but it does take the pressure off a bit if you are doing a GPR/AEGD.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.