Choosing your GMO tour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayoh

turning mountains into molehills
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried to gather as much information as possible by searching these forums, so I apologize if this has been discussed previously.

I am starting med school next fall, and I am in the process of applying for HPSP/HSCP and leaning strongly towards the Navy because I am prior service USMC. The idea of a GMO tour doesn't sound too bad to me, because it sounds like it could offer some pretty awesome experiences. Dive medicine really sounds interesting to me, and I think it would be a fun way to spend a few years. I understand that there are downsides, but I plan on pushing for 20 years, so I feel like taking ~3 years at the beginning of my career could be kind of fun.

My question is that if I am proactive in pursuing a GMO duty, is it possible/probable to have a good shot at dive medicine? Is this something that you apply for during your intern year? Or is it completely random/needs of the service?

Members don't see this ad.

You apply fro Flight and Dive or you just don't get selected for residency (or choose not to do a residency) and you do a GMO tour-either on a ship or with the Marines. Dive is somewhat competitive, but I'm guessing a prior service Marine in good shape would have a leg up in the application package process.

You apply fro Flight and Dive or you just don't get selected for residency (or choose not to do a residency) and you do a GMO tour-either on a ship or with the Marines. Dive is somewhat competitive, but I'm guessing a prior service Marine in good shape would have a leg up in the application package process.
Thank you, good to know. Are dive/flight not considered GMO tours? They are still ~3 year assignments pre-residency right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, good to know. Are dive/flight not considered GMO tours? They are still ~3 year assignments pre-residency right?

They are similar, but technically speaking, they separate them out> Flight/Dive or GMO. But yes, they are both operational tours done between internship and residency. GMO tours are typically 2 years, Flight/Dive are generally a 3 year delay in training (6months of school + 2yr tour).

If I wanted to do a dive tour, does it matter what specialty I am? Or could I specialize in anesthesia and still get that tour? If not what kind of tour could I get in anesthesia?

If I wanted to do a dive tour, does it matter what specialty I am? Or could I specialize in anesthesia and still get that tour? If not what kind of tour could I get in anesthesia?
Whoa, back up.

Navy GMO tours (including flight and dive) come before residency, so those people have no "specialty" to speak of. It's a rare and crazy person who goes back for another dive/flight tour after residency.

Whoa, back up.

Navy GMO tours (including flight and dive) come before residency, so those people have no "specialty" to speak of. It's a rare and crazy person who goes back for another dive/flight tour after residency.
Thank You very much

Reviving this. I'm in for HPSP with AF, but it is unclear on how to go for flight surgeon. The health professions recruiters are knowledgable about direct residency tracks, but not sure on how to navigate the "GMO and GTFO" route. Can any of you guys advise?

Be careful with the FS/UMO, though. Some specialties require repeating intern year if 3 years have elapsed. EM for example.