Choosing your medical school!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phez

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy. To all of you who have been acepted into multiple medical schools (osteopathic and/or allopathic) which school did you end up attending and why?

I remember when i first started applying i had the notion that i would be lucky if i could get accepted to even one medical school. As of now I am fortunate enough to have the choice between four schools: COMP, DMU, NSU and CCOM. Every school I go to has the "greener grass" if you know what I mean.

Even if you didn't have the choice; which one would you choose and why? Location is not a factor for since I will be in a building studying or attending class 96% of the time.

-Phez

Members don't see this ad.

Phez,

First of all, congratulations on your acceptances! It is a great feeling of relief isnt it. I kinda felt the same way that you did about feeling lucky to get into one school. So far I have been accepted into two schools and have made my decision on where to go. Both schools are great schools, but I went with the school that I thought was a perfect fit for me. It is a tough decision to make, but I think that all the schools have something great to offer each applicant, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Good luck in your decision making and I know that you will make the best choice for you. Once again, congratulations.

Aaron

I am very familiar w/ all the schools you have been accepted except the California school. B/w the other three I give the nod to DMU, b/c of the extra friendly people in the area and at the school, its OMM, and the new bldg which unfortuately will not be done till Spring 2005. Chicago does have a real campus, though w/ a late 60s early 70s kind a look. Students there are friendly too, but DM city folk are friendlier than Chi-town folk, but the Chicago amenities of course outshine those of the Iowa capital. Nova does not have the winters, but class is mandatory, so you'll be still be indoors. All schools have decent rotations. DMU just recently improved theirs; once the new facilities are done in Des Moines the school will only improve...

Members don't see this ad :)
dude, forget the green on the ground- think about the green still in your pocket if you come to LECOM - one of the most inexpensive schools around ;)

H0mersimps0n - that's great. In fact, I'm having a hard time deciding between LECOM-South and WVSOM. Both would be PBL for me, but WV I've visited, whereas I only visited LECOM's main campus. The cost difference however just may be the factor that tilts me towards FL.

Anyone else know of pros/cons between WV and LECOM-South that I should consider, other than that LECOM-South is new.

How much is tuition going to be at FLECOM?

There is a thread around here somewhere about some of the professors heading to LECOM-south. It sounds to me like they are really gathering up the best they can lure.

Personally, I would not EVER make a decision like that until you've visited both schools and the area around them. As I have said to nearly everyone in your position, the most important determinant next to quality of education (which really only comes into play for international vs US schools), is how comfortable you are in the surrounding communities. You are going to face the most demanding situations you've ever faced before, stress and emotions you can't imagine and your HAPPINESS (what really matters) depends on what the community has to offer. If a night life is what calms the nerves then find an area with good bars and friendly people. If you're into shopping a lot and can't be more than 15minutes from a Best Buy then maybe that's your thing. But that all boil's down to what things help you relax and feel comfortable? Do NOT wait until you are in to try and figure out what in life maintain's (not generates- you should be innately happy with yourself) you're happiness when under stress...

it's a learning experience in so many ways, now I know why everyone and their brother writes a book about this experience.

Good luck, feel free to PM me anytime