Choosing your specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Duderino

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I am closing in on graduation, and I have NO idea what field I would like to get into. This is beginning to make me a little bit nervous. All through medical school, I've just been waiting for a moment of clarity, how I will just stumble across the perfect specialty. Alas, this has not happened. All the specialties that I am even considering have significant negatives, and I really don't know how to get closer to picking one.

The ones I am considering right now: Neuro, psych, em, rads, ophtho, path, pm&r, im and ortho. (Almost in that order.)

I don't want this to degenerate into a specialty vs specialty slagfest, but I would very much appreciate input on how those of you that were in my situation (i.e. you had rotated at pretty much everywhere but STILL didn't know) managed to pick one and go for it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it would help a little if we knew something about you. The difficult thing about choosing a field in medical school is that you're making a decision based on relatively sparse and often inaccurate information. What I mean by that is that your impression of a particular field isn't necessarily representative of how well you would fit that specialty in private practice.

For example, IM is (almost) nothing like the academic IM rotations. A single resident or attending can alter your perception of a specialty drastically for the better or worse, but it may have nothing to do with how well the specialty fits your personality. You may have personal problems during a particular rotation that colors your feelings about a particular specialty.

So again, what are you like, and what do you like about medicine? What are your goals and constraints outside of work?

If you'd like to advertise on SDN, please contact Lee Burnett about the current rates.

Posting an ad is a TOS violation.

So again, what are you like, and what do you like about medicine? What are your goals and constraints outside of work?

Well, for one thing, I definitely value the lifestyle factor. Also, I've found that I'd rather interact with colleagues than with patients - I'm personable and generally well-liked by patients (or so they tell me), I just find I'm more relaxed and more to my advantage when discussing things with other doctors. Also, it has become clear to me that my attention to clinical detail is somewhat sub-par (i.e. I'm always the one that remembers the results of the POINTLESS-study, but also the one who forgets to ask patients about their smoking habits). This has not caused any problems yet (because I have always had the option to go back in to the patient and ask additional questions), but has certainly been enough of a factor to weigh in on my career choice.

This has led me to considering the diagnostic specialties (path, rads, neuro (emg/eeg etc)), but they all have their limitations and drawbacks (autopsies are not my bag (no pun intended), rads is virtually impossible to get into, neuro is... Well, maybe neuro is where it's at.

And Ratty, I'll keep an eye out for your book, but I could do with a teaser to keep my interest up until december... :)

El Duderino, I sent you a private message.

Dude dude... Diagnostic Radiology. Period. I'm no William Osler either and that's just fine with me. Yeah Rads is tough nowadays, but look at me--I'm a Caribbean dud--and I matched somehow (still thanking my lucky stars)! If I can do I'm almost positive a U.S. grad like yourself can do it. Go for Rads my friend--use Neuro as a back-up if you want, but go for Rads.

Dude dude... Check my location (it ain't Sweden, Georgia, either) and tell me again I have a shot at rads. :)

OTOH, I haven't really made up my mind as to whether I'll actually be going across the pond for a residency either, and if I decide to stick around these parts rads and ophtho definitely move up the list.

Every which way, I appreciate your comments (and thanks again for the PM, gyri).

"Neuro, psych, em, rads, ophtho, path, pm&r, im and ortho"

Just restating for reference as I type, and others read. :)

A good place to start your decision-making: do you want to do primary care or specialize? i.e. do you prefer to look at the big picture, or the details? Do you want to be seen as an expert? Are you comfortable knowing a little about a lot? Answers to these questions could push you to or away from IM.

Then consider whether you would miss doing surgery, would prefer not to do it, or don't really care. Obviously ophtho and ortho would include it, so decide if that's important.

Then try to figure out what the remaining choices have in common. Practice characteristics? Lifestyle? What draws you to them?

Good books: Anita Taylor's "How to Choose a Medical Specialty" and Kenneth Iserson's "Getting into a Residency".

Why is it the radiology hopefuls never talk about the excitement of the field, but only about the major bank they'll make and the great lifestyle? Is the specialty itself not appealing? I don't think I've ever heard a med student planning to go into radiology say anything about the field other than the lifestyle aspects.

Geddy

Originally posted by GeddyLee
Why is it the radiology hopefuls never talk about the excitement of the field, but only about the major bank they'll make and the great lifestyle? Is the specialty itself not appealing? I don't think I've ever heard a med student planning to go into radiology say anything about the field other than the lifestyle aspects.

Geddy

Actually, the interventional and neurorads guys are generally pretty stoked about their work. They get to play with cool gadgets and do some pretty interesting procedures. And they get paid a serious buttload of money.

If I'm going to be in a dark room with harsh flourescent lighting every day and be sterile by age 30, I'd want to be paid lots or at least work from my yacht.

-Todd MSIV USC

Originally posted by Dr. Cuts
You jest... but this is a very real possibility in the forseeable future... I can just see myself reading films from my 108-footer... on the way to my tropical island bungalow... that too fully equipped with a high-speed telerads station, satellite dish, and of course, a hammock...

:cool:

You jest, but this was a major concern of mine about going into radiology. Probably not in the immediate future, but it may decrease the demand for diagnostic radiologists in the future.

The simple fact is that diagnostic radiology generally is not a profession that requires you to be physically present in the same place that the images are being taken. This sounds all well and good if you're dreaming of reading films on a yacht in the Caribbean, but the end result is that it will decrease the demand. Any job that can be done from a distance with no significant loss in effectiveness is a job that is in danger of being exported. Ask all the unemployed programmers around the US how they feel about so many tech jobs being exported to India.

Granted, this isn't going to devastate the specialty any time in the immediate future. Licensing issues will present a barrier to exporting radiology, but it's not an insurmountable barrier. All our night-time CT's are read by Nighthawk, a group of radiologists (all US licensed, I believe) in Australia. They don't need as much pay since it's cheaper to live there, and you don't have to pay them extra to be up at night since our night are their daylight hours anyway. I've talked to many other colleagues at other hospitals, and they seem to cover a fair number of US hospitals. Those are jobs that would otherwise (and probably previously did) go to US-based radiologists. And since they consolidate the scans from a number of institutions, they can probably do the same job with quite a bit fewer radiologists than would have been needed had each hospital hired its own night radiologists.

If I had gone into radiology, I would without a doubt tried for interventional or neurorads. Much more interesting work, no fear of job exportation, vastly superior income, and for me better job satisfaction. YMMV.

heyall
was just thinking...with all this "radiology will be exported" talk:
what does someone think about this as a likely scenario

train a 100,000 radiologists in China....and pay them <20K USD a year. Setup massive data centres and information tech database driven systems...Have each film reviewed by three separate radiologists and have it classified as Code 1,2 or 3 - each one an increasing order of magnitude in terms of the seriousness of the diagnosis...If more than 2 radiologists differ in their opinion, then have it re-reviewed by an expert in that area and sent over to the US physician. BTW, you could circumvent the laws by making the US physician sign off on every report. Nothing illegal about getting your film "seen" by some radiology tech in China or India rite? Of course, could have malpractice issues?

And then the US radiologist with stock options in this company does real real real well when it floats on the NYSE?? :clap:

is this plausible?

Ha ha ha.... you guys are pretty clueless. But, I can't blame you since I was also the same a few years back.

Chinese radiologists? That is a good one. This type of widepread teleradiology has been thought of before.... and guess what, it has always failed. Why? Well, it is pretty simple, it is hard to read studies. It takes a tremendous amount of reading and training to get really good at reading films, especially advanced modalities such as CT, MRI, PET. If some radiologist is going to sign off a bunch of reads from Chinese radiologists (or Indian), he better have BALLS of steel to take on that liability. Frankly, you have to read every film when you "over-read", because your ass is on the line if something is missed, unless you have absolute trust in your Chinese rads.... yeah right.

Truth be told, clinicians such as the general internist will be replaced way before a radiologist will. Why? Because dependence on radiology has never been higher. The internist and many of the other docs at our institution are nothing more that expensive apes who come to us hoping we can figure out what is wrong with the patient. We make more diagnoses when it matters most than anyone else in the hospital.

Doing the basic work up and H&P can be done by a PA or nurse practitioner. I would not be surpized as CT and MRs get even faster to see everyone who walks into the ER get one. It would be a very streamlined system, maybe one ER doc overseeing 10 PAs, with radiologist making all the diagnoses. Sounds pretty efficient.

Rads is where it is at, because we are on the cutting edge. We make diagnoses. The history and physical exams skills are becoming a lost art, especially as docs are seeing more and more patients. We are indespensible and this will only increase as the residents who are training now are even MORE reliant on imaging than the ones before them. And who are the experts in medical imagine, yup.... us.

As for my job, I love it, and would rather do nothing else is medicine. We play a critical role, have patient contact if we want it (IR, ultrasound, women's imaging), make most diagnoses, and make an ass load of money. The worst part of the job is dealing with *****ic clinicians.

Lifestyle is not what it used to be, we work hard, take more call than ever, and are expected to be there 24/7. Hey, but this is the prce we pay for the ever going dependence on our services. Plus, the increase in money makes is a pretty fair trade off. Working hard is not bad when you get 10 or 12 weeks vacation a year anyway.

Only a jealous fool will talk **** about rads, probably because they wish they were in it. To anyone considering it, I say go for it 100%. No other job in medicine can provide the same level of interesting work, job flexibility, and healthy compensation.

radrules, I am an ethnic Chinese and I have doctor friends in China. You can not hire a Chinese doctor with <20k to work for you full time. They earn more than you assume. Also, they read more films than you do because they have more patients to see, even with CT and MRI. Ask somebody who have been to China and visited Chinese hospitals to confirm this. Please DON'T assume.

Why do I feel like I always have to be the voice of reason when RADRULES posts.

Clinicians have a much different set of skills and knowledge than radiologists. Yes, there is more reliance on radiology than ever before due to a combination of faster more readily available scans and a decrease in both physicians, patients, and lawyers tolerance of mistakes. Thus, even if the diagnosis could have been made without an imaging study, a CT or MRI is performed in order to make the diagnosis more exact. For example, 20% negative laparatomy for appys are not acceptable anymore with the availability of high quality CT.

Now to the topic of teleradiology. I personally do not think it will be a serious threat. Clinicians want a radiologist they can talk to and confer with in person. In addition, radiologists must protocol and sometimes re-protocol studies as they happen in order to obtain good diagostic quality images. MRI has the most need for radiologist monitoring and involvement, but CT must also sometimes tailored to the pathology being evaluated.

Liability issues will also be a significant road block to the mass exodus of radiology jobs overseas as mentioned by many posters.

Originally posted by Whisker Barrel Cortex
Why do I feel like I always have to be the voice of reason when RADRULES posts.

Maybe because his posts are such obvious trolls? Really, if all his posts are like that, then he/she/it is obviously just trying to get a rise out of people. Juvenile.

Actually, it is because I speak the truth. I have been through the fire and paid my dues, and you may not like what I say. Bottom line is that I am not interested in feeding people BS, I tell it like it is.

Maybe is was a little too much to call all clinicians "*****ic", so I apologize. But, I will certainly have more respect for them when they start acting the part. First off, don't ask for a study if you are NOT going to follow up on it. Second, don't give the radiolgist attitude when we call to ask for more clinical history. Believe it or not, "chest pain" or "followup" is not a f*cking history. Third, dust off the ol' Bates and re-learn (if you ever knew it in the first place) how to make a diagnosis based on H&P. Forth, don't order stupid unindicated exams. Finally, don't tell me you can do my job as well as I can, even though obviously you cannot.

I always found it funny how a clinician will "consult" cardiology, but "order" radiology exams. People need to start realizing that the hospital would shut down if it were not for us.

To the PGY-2 rad resident, you made a good choice and have my respect, but are still an infant in the radiology world. Come back and read my posts in a few years after spending some long nights on-call dealing with total BS and you will see that I speak the truth. I do not need anyone moderating what I have to say.

Later!

Dear Chinese guy,

If you read carefully, you will see I did not say anything about Chinese radiologist making 20k or whatever. My point was about teleradiology with foreign rads, be it Chinese or Indian or whatever, and why it will not likely happen. Please read my posts more carefully before replying. Cheers!

Mr. Radrules,

I'd say that radiologists more often confirm diagnoses rather than make them. Big difference if you ask me.

From the way you talk, it would seem you freakin invented MRI or something. Really, your hubris is impressive!

It's probably a good thing that you're in radiology. It's frightening to imagine what you'd be like around patients.

Indeed, you're quite an ambassador for the field of radiology.

Have a nice day. :)

I think WBC is right in that people like to personally talk to the radiologist about the study. It just makes things more exact and conclusive for the clinician, rather than to just read the 'impressions'. I would never do radiology, but every time I have to talk to one about a study, and when they take me through it I learn something new. I can't imagine teleradiology becoming the norm, except maybe for very routine cases. But then again, if it's routine, why are we asking for a radiology consult anyway?

Rads folks are really sharp, and it does sound like interesting work, but it just isn't the medicine I'd like to practice.

OP - I'm a third year, and I've become so lost in what I wanted to do ... Wanted to do peds, and totally couldn't stand it ... Wondering what you'll end up doing ...

Simul

Originally posted by SimulD
OP - I'm a third year, and I've become so lost in what I wanted to do ... Wanted to do peds, and totally couldn't stand it ... Wondering what you'll end up doing ...[/B]

Not an uncommon phenomenon. What was it about pediatrics that you found unpleasant, or how didn't it meet your expectations? Are you absolutely sure that it's pediatrics as a field that you now don't like or was it perhaps just an unpleasant rotation for other reasons?

I can't remember the URL but there is an online quiz in which you assess how important various factors (working alone vs. part of a team, caring for children, etc.) are which in turns lists how your profile compares that to of various specialities. I believe the site is based on the book How to choose a medical speciality. If someone else remembers the link and doesn't mind posting it, it might help you narrow down your choices somewhat.

"I'd say that radiologists more often confirm diagnoses rather than make them. Big difference if you ask me."

Ha ha... I got a good kick out of this one!! You wish pal.

Originally posted by RADRULES
"I'd say that radiologists more often confirm diagnoses rather than make them. Big difference if you ask me."

Ha ha... I got a good kick out of this one!! You wish pal.

This guy is such an obvious troll I'm not sure why I'm replying.But I can't resist.

You're dreaming if you think radiologists are crucial to most diagnosies. Besides the occasional incidental pulmonary nodule or adrenal mass, imaging is absolutely there only to confirm or clarify a diagnosis. And the key word here is IMAGING, not the radiologist. I don't know what vacuum you live in Radrules, but in most practices 9 out of every 10 imaging studies are looked initially by the person that ordered them, with the radiologist's report being an afterthought that is often overlooked. This is especially true in surgical subspecialties such as neurosurgery, ENT and ortho where you really need a fellowship trained radiologist to make any contribution. And clinicians are going to become even less reliant on the radiologist now that PACS is a reality with quality workstations available all over the hospital.

In the future, radiologists will have to be more mindful of their roll as a consultant. Teleradiology will inevitably destroy a local radiologists monopoly on reading films. And if as a radiologist you are an as*hole who is not useful to "*****ic clinicians" you will find these clinicians willing to go with a teleradiologist's cheaper read.

Radrules, it's unfortunate that you chose a specialty that does not get much respect when you so obviously crave it. But the way to get that respect is not to badmouth your colleagues and lecture clinicians on the need to do a good physical exam (quite humorous coming from a radiologist).

"You're dreaming if you think radiologists are crucial to most diagnosies. Besides the occasional incidental pulmonary nodule or adrenal mass, imaging is absolutely there only to confirm or clarify a diagnosis. And the key word here is IMAGING, not the radiologist. I don't know what vacuum you live in Radrules, but in most practices 9 out of every 10 imaging studies are looked initially by the person that ordered them, with the radiologist's report being an afterthought that is often overlooked. This is especially true in surgical subspecialties such as neurosurgery, ENT and ortho where you really need a fellowship trained radiologist to make any contribution. And clinicians are going to become even less reliant on the radiologist now that PACS is a reality with quality workstations available all over the hospital. "

This maybe true. But I am sure that none of your neurosugical, orthopedic or ENT clinicians want to assume legal responsibility for the study. They are not trained in the full spectrum of radiology and often look at imaging with a VERY narrow focus. Radiology is very difficult and being ingorant thinking that you know more than the radiologist is very dangerous for you and the patient.

In any case, I would much rather read some gomers scan and go to sleep than spend the whole night in the OR patching him up.

Well, I have to say there are going to be some very disappointed new radiologists in this country. Do you honestly believe that you will continue to be immune from medicare cutbacks? Radiology is the fattest cow in medicine. At the very least, cutting reimbursements may be seen by medicare officials as a way to lure vacationing radiologists back to the office to help with the rads shortage. At best, declining reimbursements for radiology would save a heck of a lot of money. With all of the hype about a "shortage of radiologists", one must ask, how do radiologists get so much vacation? But if radiologists aren't willing to accept reduced reimbursements and increase productivity to deal with "the shortage", teleradiology will certainly become the only viable option.

Radiology is faced by a very serious threat from teleradiology. Don't fall into the belief that "clinicians want a radiologist they can talk to." That's BS....ever since we got PACS at my institution, clinicians pull up the study at their desk and look at the images. In fact, I haven't been down to radiology hardly at all since we got this system. Harvard is doing teleradiology right now.

The technology is available, the people are available, everyone wants to cut cost in our medical system, and the precedent is set. And you all know that physicians have absolutely no spine when it comes to standing up for their rights. What on earth would stop this from happening? In fact, there is legislation in Washington right now, spear-headed by several physicians and one Pennsylvania Senator which is aimed at changing the law that prohibits medicare from reimbursing foreign docs. I wrote to this senator and expressed my concerns. His response was that they were looking at any possible way to cut costs and ease the shortage of radiologists.

Sitting on your hands pretending nothing will ever come of teleradiology may be the equivalent of cutting your own throat. I think there is a real need for concern, and certainly a necessity to be proactive and insure your own future as a radiologist in this country.

Geddy

"ever since we got PACS at my institution, clinicians pull up the study at their desk and look at the images. In fact, I haven't been down to radiology hardly at all since we got this system. Harvard is doing teleradiology right now. "

Its really easy to look at a study with a radiologists report backing you up!

Originally posted by oldandtired
[BIts really easy to look at a study with a radiologists report backing you up! [/B]

Which is exactly why tele-radiologists will be fine in the vast majority of cases. The little one liner to confirm what we already know is pretty much all thats needed. As a third year med student, I've been learning a lot about how to interpret plain films and CT scans on rotations thanks to the new PACS system. By the time I'm an attending, I doubt I'll need to consult the radiologists that much. Ofcourse I will sometimes, but very rarely. It's true that I do almost always learn something when the team goes down to the dark rads room for a consult, but I'm also usually glad to leave, and couldn't imagine sitting there all day!

Now all of the counter attacks begin.

First, as a radiologist in training, I can confidently say that, with the exception of some of the mentioned highly subspecialized physicians (neurosurgery, ent, ortho), radiologists are MUCH better at interpreting studies than clinicians. Even on something as basic as a chest x-ray or abdominal film, you would be surprised how much differently and more critically you can examine a study than the vast majority of clinicians. when it comes to MRI and CT, clinicians don't even come close. If you consider the reports as an afterthought, you will miss things and get burned.

Second, clinicians do often discuss scans with radiologists. Maybe you don't see your attending doing it, but trust me, they do. I see them all the time. We receive multiple calls daily to assist in interpreting every imaging study, from plain films to CT to MRI. Have you ever read a trauma CT or cervical spine x-ray? I'd like to see any of your expertise on interpreting transplant liver ultrasound. I have yet to see a non-radiologist who can pick up a small PE on CT angio or tell it apart from an obvious artifact. Thats ok, cause a PE is an incidental finding that will not affect patient care, right!

Third, part of the radiolgists role is to assist physicians who are not experts in a field. I reviewed a cervical spine film today with a internal medicine physician who kept mentioning the odd appearance of the C3 vertebrae posteroirly. It took me a while but soon I figured out that she was referring to the normal spinous process. I am not pointing this out to show the ignorance of clinicians, just that they do not know imaging beyond their scope. Of course, if this were a trauma surgeon or ED physician they would know what normal looked like. Another internal medicine physician asked what the large mass near the liver was. I told him he was looking at the stomach abutting the liver. Again, not enough experience. A surgeon would have known. An ED doc asked be to look at a foot film on a diabetic with a neuropathic foot. Only after I pointed it out did he notice that the enitire proximal 5th metatarsal was gone. I'm sure an orthopod would have seen it. Multiple times surgery residents have missed decent sized pneumothoraces on truama patients until I told them about it. One time they did not notice the growing apical fluid cap (luckily only due to sternal fracture). All of these and more and I have been a radiology resident for only 4 months! I did not realize how little I knew about imaging until I started doing it full time.

All of you need to realize how much more the radiologist sees on an image than you do and utilize this resource or you will be bound to make mistakes. Anyone can pick up the huge finding. Undertanding what exactly you are seeing is another issue. Moreover, subtle, sometimes relatively unimportant, but often very important findings will be missed by clinicians 9 times out of 10.

I wish you all luck in your chosen specialties. I will continue to help clinicians in every field from internal medicine, to pediatric nephrology, to orthopedics, to neurology, to general surgery on a daily basis and know that not only am I doing what I find to be the most interesting job in medicine, I am making a significant difference in the care of patients. Next time you see a finding with the radiologist sign (the arrow), realize that you very likely would not have seen that finding had it not been for the radiologist.

As for who gets paid, in our EM practice the ED docs bill for the read on plain films unless the radiologist is there reading it at the time (which is practically never unless we specifically ask). That was HCFA's decision. I'm chewing on that.

I fully agree that radiologists are by far the most qualified to read radiology studies. That's a no brainer. Clearly, radiologists are in general going to catch more reading studies than any other specialty. That said, the mistakes go both ways. Just the last two days, I went back to look at the CTs from patients that I simply didn't believe the radiologists interpretation of "normal study". One was a trauma scan which showed a fairly obvious rib fracture. I had the advantage of knowing exactly where I pressed on the patient's chest when he yelled in pain, which is the advantage of the clinician who lays hands on the patient. The other was a CT for flank pain where the radiologist again interpreted as "normal" in which there was a clear distal ureteral stone. Is this typical? No, but it does happen. Part of it is that as a resident, our program didn't have constant radiology coverage, and none for CT's at night. We read all our own CT scans at night and many of them during the day, and as a whole program we had a surprisingly few number of significant misses.

Dr. Cuts, don't take it as an affront to you or your specialty when I (or anyone else) says that we couldn't stand to sit in a dark room reading films all day. It's not an insult, it's just a statement of fact that I'm not built for that kind of work. I'm glad you and others are, because we do need experts in this field, as we do in all specialties.

Personally, I practically never talk to the radiologists but once in a long while. When I do, I usually just call them up on the phone, whether they're the in-house radiologists or the Nighthawk guys in Australia. It takes just slightly longer to get the Australians on the phone on average, and sometimes they answer faster than our in-house docs!

I think the interesting thing is how obviously obsessed Dr.Cuts, and many other budding radiologists are with the money they expect to make. That was the original reason I replied to the thread. Is there NOTHING about radiology that's exciting...you just do your job and get paid and Dr. Blow does whatever he wants? This is precisely the kind of attitude that makes me feel very little compassion in the event that teleradiology take US rads job prospects. I mean, come on Dr. Cuts...do you really think reading films on your 108 foot yacht is even possible? much less appropriate? Are you really that jaded by medicine that you only care to make a quick buck, regardless of how useful your work may be? Now certainly I think radiologists are very useful, but many attending don't see it that way.
I thought the money hungry got screened out somehow in interviewing...at least that's what I was always told.

Geddy

Geddy Lee on SDN, when did he become a doc? Oddly enough, I have rush playing right now. Oh well! Okay now for a serious post here.

If you like anatomy and pathology, radiology can be interesting. Yes, if you sit in a dark room all day, you're never going to see a patient. But I think of it this way, when a patient's film is slapped in front of you, you have to review the case and form you own DDX based on what you see, so you better know medicine, anatomy,and pathology. And lets face it, there are some docs that are pretty damn smart but I'd never recommend they see my dog as a patient. Dark room radiology is a good field for those guys.

But lets forget about the darkroom stuff. Invasive radiology is pretty cool and is probably the reason why radiology took off as a high paying field. I think if a person wants to do invasive radiology, then going through the formality of doing a a residency and spending your time in a darkroom is worth it all if it means being offered a fellowship in invasive radiology.

Myself, I am a person that likes to do procedures. This is one reason why I personally was attracted to radiology, because myself, I would not mind all the darkroom time if it meant that eventually I could be offered a fellowship in invasive rads.

However, I do think that it is very unfortunate that people will do into rads for its money and lifestyle. Myself, being a guy that likes to do procedures, I'd probably go into some surgical field, I do not feel like competing.

'I suppose my warning is that right now rads may be paying top dollar, but who knows what the future holds for any field of medicine? For that reason, I'd highly suggest going into a field you enjoy. But hell, that is just me.

I think the interesting thing is how obviously obsessed Dr.Cuts, and many other budding radiologists are with the money they expect to make.

It has always been obvious to me that people that use "obvious" to describe one of their opinions, trying to portray it as fact, are pushing points that are NOT obvious.

And, if you would go back through hundreds of Cuts' posts, you'll see that the $$ is not the drive.

Chasing money in medicine is like trying to fall down: you don't have to try. If it is going to happen, it will, without you forcing it.

Originally posted by Apollyon
It has always been obvious to me that people that use "obvious" to describe one of their opinions, trying to portray it as fact, are pushing points that are NOT obvious.

And, if you would go back through hundreds of Cuts' posts, you'll see that the $$ is not the drive.

Chasing money in medicine is like trying to fall down: you don't have to try. If it is going to happen, it will, without you forcing it.

I've been on this forum for a while and have read enjoyed reading Dr. Cuts numerous posts. Although I can't say whether money is the primary reason he chose radiology, it does seem to be a recurring theme. But whether or not Dr. Cuts obsessed with the financial advantages of radiology, I have certainly met plenty of radiologists and radiologists-to-be that are in it for the money. Just my two cents.

I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so wrong to say money and medicine together. I'll be the first to admit that money and job security were big reasons I entered medicine. What's wrong with wanting to make money. If I do my job well and do what's best for my patients, then why can't I make a boat load doing it. I think Dr. Cuts is the most honest and rational person on this thread. As a radiologist we will be providing a service. And the bottom line is we are being paid for that service. If someone else provides that service (foriegn radiologists) then we will have to compete with them. With that said, I have no problem with those who went into medicine for simply altruistic purposes. Just don't expect everyone else to have the same intentions.

Dunehog,

I like how you respond to negative posts and but fail to mention anything about what I posted (which was not at all negative).

Good luck in ENT. By the way, I know plenty of people who went into ENT because they liked surgical specialties but wanted a better lifestyle than neurosurgery or general surgery. Just see samsoccer's post in the surgery forum. So please stop the holier than thou attitude.

Hey guys...just to clarify...I'm not one to think that pursuing anything in life for monetary reasons is wrong. Some people are driven by profit and a wealthy lifestyle, and that's just fine, so long as it makes you happy. I suppose in medicine, you have to also be compassionate and caring in addition to making the big money, but so long as you're a good doc, who cares what your motivating factor is? I certainly don't. And I would guess any patient that recieves either direct or indirect care from the money motivated doc wouldn't care either, as long as the standard of care isn't breached.

I was just wondering what other factors motivate people to consider radiology as a career, since it seems to be such a deviation from the world of direct patient care. I, too, considered radiology for a while, but when I discovered that I was letting high income cloud my judgement of what I really wanted for a career, I changed my mind. I think it's a fun field, and that radiologists are generally some of the most knowledgeable folks in the hospital. However, I think a neurosurgeon probably knows more neuroradiology than a general radiologist. But a neuroradiologist probably knows a heck of a lot more neuroradiology than a neurosurgeon.

Invasive radiology was something I was really interested in, but talking with multiple folks in the rads department, the general concensus was that the field was bleeding profusely because the poor vascular surgeons were starting to miss their piece of the vascular pie. I didn't really understand why the people in IR wouldn't stand up to this, but instead, they allow vascular surgeons to compete with DR grads for IR fellowships. Doesn't make a lot of sense to give up you territory so easily. This is what happend with CT surgeons as they scoffed at angioplasty...now look where they are. CT surgeons are hurting more and more for business and many people are of the opinion that the community CT surgeon will quickly become the dinosaur of surgeons. People need to stand their ground when necessary, and cooperate when beneficial. This seems to be a theme to revisit with the whole idea of teleradiology. Teleradiology could, and I emphasize COULD, become a potentially devastating competition with US rads....it's something you all as budding radiologists should be knowledgeable about, and prepared to fight.

I don't want to be taken wrong here, I didn't mean to bust on
Dr.Cuts or anyone else going in to the field. But I think money ebbs and flows in medical specialties like the tides, so it seems silly to go into any field you don't truly enjoy. I think radiology is very susceptible right now to losing ground in salary, as teleradiology, medicare cutbacks, and implementation of PACS takes place.

Geddy

I predict that in the future we will breed a pefect race of people who love sitting in a dark room in Uzbekistan reading films with squinty eyes who care about nothing but money. Meanwhile the *****ic clinicians who are all altruistic and loving will see their patients, interpret their films, and clip anneurysms without feeling the need to read the report of the perfect race from Uzbekistan.

No one will want to make money or leave the hospital ever. It will be a utopia of clone radiologists and clinicians who exist soley for their patients who understand and can cover all specialties with the same proficency of an individual who spent 4 or more years of their life training in a given field.

This will be wonderful.

And they will have squinty eyes.

Dunehog,

I like how you respond to negative posts and but fail to mention anything about what I posted (which was not at all negative).

Good luck in ENT. By the way, I know plenty of people who went into ENT because they liked surgical specialties but wanted a better lifestyle than neurosurgery or general surgery. Just see samsoccer's post in the surgery forum. So please stop the holier than thou attitude.

Well, I guess if your going to call me out then I better respond. If you re-read my post, nowhere did I say there was anything wrong with wanting to go into radiology to make money. Truth be told, I seriously considered radiology myself at one time and the money was certainly a factor. I'm not trying to be "holier than thou," just stating my belief that money is a major factor for many people who go into radiology.

What you say about ENT is absolutely true and had a lot to do with my specialty choice. I think general surgery is cool as hell and I'm having a great time in internship. But my priorities are such that I want to have time for family and leisure at some point in my life, and I don't think general surgery would permit that. Otolaryngologists do some incredible operations involving what I think is the most interesting and complex anatomy in the body while at the same time taking care of a relatively healthy patient population, which allows for a better lifestyle for the surgeon.

Now all of the counter attacks begin.

First, as a radiologist in training, I can confidently say that, with the exception of some of the mentioned highly subspecialized physicians (neurosurgery, ent, ortho), radiologists are MUCH better at interpreting studies than clinicians. Even on something as basic as a chest x-ray or abdominal film, you would be surprised how much differently and more critically you can examine a study than the vast majority of clinicians. when it comes to MRI and CT, clinicians don't even come close. If you consider the reports as an afterthought, you will miss things and get burned.

Second, clinicians do often discuss scans with radiologists. Maybe you don't see your attending doing it, but trust me, they do. I see them all the time. We receive multiple calls daily to assist in interpreting every imaging study, from plain films to CT to MRI. Have you ever read a trauma CT or cervical spine x-ray? I'd like to see any of your expertise on interpreting transplant liver ultrasound. I have yet to see a non-radiologist who can pick up a small PE on CT angio or tell it apart from an obvious artifact. Thats ok, cause a PE is an incidental finding that will not affect patient care, right!

Third, part of the radiolgists role is to assist physicians who are not experts in a field. I reviewed a cervical spine film today with a internal medicine physician who kept mentioning the odd appearance of the C3 vertebrae posteroirly. It took me a while but soon I figured out that she was referring to the normal spinous process. I am not pointing this out to show the ignorance of clinicians, just that they do not know imaging beyond their scope. Of course, if this were a trauma surgeon or ED physician they would know what normal looked like. Another internal medicine physician asked what the large mass near the liver was. I told him he was looking at the stomach abutting the liver. Again, not enough experience. A surgeon would have known. An ED doc asked be to look at a foot film on a diabetic with a neuropathic foot. Only after I pointed it out did he notice that the enitire proximal 5th metatarsal was gone. I'm sure an orthopod would have seen it. Multiple times surgery residents have missed decent sized pneumothoraces on truama patients until I told them about it. One time they did not notice the growing apical fluid cap (luckily only due to sternal fracture). All of these and more and I have been a radiology resident for only 4 months! I did not realize how little I knew about imaging until I started doing it full time.

All of you need to realize how much more the radiologist sees on an image than you do and utilize this resource or you will be bound to make mistakes. Anyone can pick up the huge finding. Undertanding what exactly you are seeing is another issue. Moreover, subtle, sometimes relatively unimportant, but often very important findings will be missed by clinicians 9 times out of 10.

As far as your previous post about radiology, you presented a lot of anecdotes about clinicians missing things. It's hard to argue with anecdotes, but I still maintain that the radiologist's report provides no contribution to patient care at least 90% of the time. The are at least three reasons for this that I can think of.

- First, it is often the most obvious findings on imaging studies that have the biggest impact on patient care. Examples include the big intracranial hemmorage, the large pneumothorax or the large intrabdominal abscess seen on CT. A large intracranial hemmorage is much more likely to need mannitol or an emergent craniectomy. where as a small one can often be treated conservatively. A large pneumothorax needs a chest tube, whereas a small one usually resolves by itself. A large intrabdominal abscess usually needs emergent drainage, whereas a little bit of fat stranding can usually be treated with antibiotics and observation.

- Second, when there is clinical concern for a particular problem that may be seen on imaging, the patient is often treated emprically before the results of imaging studies are available. One of the best examples for this include the small pulmonary embolus on CT angio you mentioned. If there is a real clinical concern for PE, the patient is usually heparinized anyway.

- Third, often when there is clinical concern for a particular problem that one needs imaging to diagnose, a specialist has already been consulted. These specialists are usually at least as proficient at interpreting imaging studies in their area of specialization as any general radiologist. Examples include: 1) patients with neurologic deficit that needs head CT: neurology/neursurgery is consulted, 2) patient with recent liver transplant that needs liver ultrasound to r/o hepatic artery thrombosis : transplant is obviously involved since they did the friggin surgery, 3) pregnant patient that needs ultrasound for whatever reason: OB already involved and probably did the ultrasound 4) patient with cold foot and rest pain that needs lower extremity angiogram with possible angioplasty : vascular surgery already involved and may even do the angioplasty themselves if their not too busy.

Realize however that I am by no means saying radiologists serve no purpose. Radiolgists often provide meaningful and useful contributions and in certain situations (less than 10% I would estimate) they are invaluable. But they are nowhere near as crucial as your buddy RADRULES thinks they are, and it is very unlikely that "the hospital would shut down" were it not for the radiologists (also a Radrules quote).

Dunehog,

I would argue that the precentage of times the radiologist has an impact is more in the range of 25%. Maybe for general surgeons and subspecialized services (which you have been exposed to as an intern) its a little lower. But for most clinicians in ED, medicine, family practice, and pediatrics it is much higher. They don't even know that they need to consult an expert most of the time until we give them our result. Again, this is not to insult these specialties, they just don't use imaging enough or know the anatomy well enough to understand what they are seeing on imaging.

That percentage is enough for me to know that I have positively affected patient care. Which, for me and most of my collegues, is important. You would also be surprised to know how many unnecessary consults we prevent since a very large percentage of studies, especially from the ED, are normal.

Combine that with the amazing array of procedures done by radiologists (not just interventional, general radiologists can also do a wide range), the lower stress level, the more reasonable schedule, the vast array of technology, and finally the good income and radiology is, in my opinion, the best specialty out there. If anyone in any specialty does not feel that way about their specialty, maybe they need a change.

Upon reading over my last post, I have to admit it came out kind of harsh, it was more intended just for that Radsruls ******. We shouldn't bust on radiologists for talking about money b/c it's unfair. All of the higher pay and lower hours fields in medicine are the most competitive, so why single radiology out? Is the anatomy of ENT really that much more interesting? Or is the better pay and better hours why so many people want to go into it? Furthermore, every single physician job survey shows that job satisfaction is directly related to compensation.

Ahem...............

Based upon our study of the squinty eyed clones patient care is effected in a clinical setting 36.721% of the time if the doctor is board certified in either EM or IM. However that number drops to an astounding 34.921% if the doctor is a surgeon. At the extreme ends are the psychiatrists who the imaging studies help 0% of the time and the radiologists in whom we find 100% effectiveness.

Hope this clears up any statistical concerns.

Feel free to read our article in NEJM

Scmeck, C et al. The statistics of clincal help provided by a squinty eyed clone race of radiologists. New Engl J Med. 2003 148:21-32

I love how a f*cking intern is lecturing me on the importance of radiology.

I realize that you probably are a miserable human being, and get **** upon daily by your upper levels, but really the statements you make,WITH NO EVIDENCE TO BACK THEM UP, is pure stupidity.

You don't have a clue about radiology as apparent from your posts. If you think you can read films better than a radiologist you are really lacking common sense. Guess what.... I read 30 to 40 abdomen CTs per day.... you do not and never will. Thus, guess what, I am MUCH BETTER at it than anyone else in the hospital, got it?? Not very complicated.

Here is a novel concept for everybody: YOU GET GOOD AT WHAT YOU DO EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR YEARS.

I am sure you fall into that catgory of smart med student without much common sense. I guess that ENT match now has you thinking you are King of the world or really smart.... but I hate to break it to you that the people who fill those dark rooms could have just as easily ended up in that ENT spot you hold so dear. So maybe next time you head down there you should thank them for your match.

One day when your ass gets burned because you ignored that "worthless" radiology report, you will realize what a fool you are.

Smart doctors know the value of a good radiologist and use them to their advantage.... clearly you will never fall into this catagory.

PGY-1 talkin' ****... what a joke. I would like to see you say this rubbish to one of the rads residents at your place, but you would never have the balls, just on an anonymous bbs. Weak.

Still none of these posts seem concerned with addressing the issue of teleradiology, which can shoot the wonderful radiology lifestyle all to heck. I think we can all agree that having images read by experts is certainly necessary for clinicians, and not likely to change. However, what do you all see as the factors preventing teleradiology from becoming a common practice? And, do you think radiology would still be "the best specialty in medicine" if the income dropped to average physician salary range and the vacation time dried up?

Dunehog,

I would argue that the precentage of times the radiologist has an impact is more in the range of 25%. Maybe for general surgeons and subspecialized services (which you have been exposed to as an intern) its a little lower. But for most clinicians in ED, medicine, family practice, and pediatrics it is much higher. They don't even know that they need to consult an expert most of the time until we give them our result. Again, this is not to insult these specialties, they just don't use imaging enough or know the anatomy well enough to understand what they are seeing on imaging.

That percentage is enough for me to know that I have positively affected patient care. Which, for me and most of my collegues, is important. You would also be surprised to know how many unnecessary consults we prevent since a very large percentage of studies, especially from the ED, are normal.

Combine that with the amazing array of procedures done by radiologists (not just interventional, general radiologists can also do a wide range), the lower stress level, the more reasonable schedule, the vast array of technology, and finally the good income and radiology is, in my opinion, the best specialty out there. If anyone in any specialty does not feel that way about their specialty, maybe they need a change.

WBC, you're probably right that radiologist's reports are more valuable to primary care docs. I also agree that the interpretations of a good radiologist prevent unnecessary consults. I'm glad you enjoy radiology. It is a great field for the right person, and as I said I considered it seriously myself.

Radrules - It looks like I hit a sore spot since I sparked such a flurry of insults. But I think I've made my point with a well thought out post that you basically didn't respond to. I'm not going to waste any more time responding to your ranting.

I love it! Ya ya ya more fighting. Yo man your only an INTERN! I am a 3rd year therfore I am 2 steps higher on the evolutionary ladder of doctorhood then you are. Ya! Tell that dumb intern to go do some scut and send the repulsive medical student for coffee.

Whoever is not in my specialty at my year of traning is worthless.

Everyone fight.

More fighting please.

:clap:

Pissing contests...you got to love em.

My take on all this, from more of an IM slant. Radiologists at times are invaluable; however, just like every other field of docs they miss stuff. We always talk about clinicians missing obvious stuff on studies, but DRs miss stuff on studies also. Good example- a patient I was following had a head CT which the neurorad read as "pathognomic" sp? for GBM, so we had the cancer talk with the patient. The neurosurg takes a look at it, is not so sure of dx, goes after some tissue, and it ends up being a abscess! Imagine going back to tell the pt they have an abscess not a aggressive Brain Ca. I have also seen ENTs pick up small temporal bone fractures that rads missed.

At my institution, the rad folks are awesome. They encourage clinicians to look at studies, often saying that the more eyes that see the study, the less chance they will miss something. Every doc misses stuff, even good ones that look at 50 head CTs a day. We have an amazing radiologist who can give you differentials and clinical presentations for small radiologic abnormalities. I think Gen DR is a tough field- just think of the vast number of studies that they have to be able to read.

On an unrelated note, in my class, the folks going into rads generally cite money and lifestyle as the primary reasons for going into rads. Not to throw gas on a fire, but that is simply my observation. I don't fault them for this, but I wonder if putting yourself through 4 years of med school with substantial debt and 5 yrs of residency at minimum wage is worth it. My .02. Crypt