Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Chosing courses - uncertain about AP credits

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by calaxer19, Jul 8, 2001.

1. calaxer19

calaxer19 Senior Member

I'm going to be going to orientation tomorrow and one of the things I have to do is pick courses to take in the Fall. I have the opportunity to place out of intro courses in bio, chem, and calculus due to AP exams. I think I will not skip these classes since I've heard AP credit isn't accept by med schools and I want to make sure my fundamental understanding in the subjects are up to par with the college.

What do you think? FYI, I'm a bio major so I'll end up taking a lot of bio and chem classes.

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member

I would take the classes - exactly for the reasons you stated. Also, college-level bio and chem can be more in-depth (in most cases) than what is taught in high school AP classes (although it depends on the schools, etc). Plus, you'll probably do very well in the classes. Good luck!

4. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.

Good question. I advise incoming pre-meds with that exact question all the time. First, bio and chem are in a 'special' group as compared to calc. they are pre-med requirements and you will need to know the material in these classes cold for the MCAT down the road. Secondly, see the credit as a good foundation and that you will do well in these classes when you take them at the college level. Since grades are so crucial, especially in science classes this is a bonus.

Dont retake calc unless you want to re-learn the information. If you scored well (4 or 5) or if you really liked it, I suggest taking Calc2 if your schedule allows. I had both calc and english AP credit and everyschool I emailed said that AP credit for anything was ok unless it was pre-med reqs (bio, chem, o-chem, physics). Some added that for the classes you AP'd, just to be safe take a higher level course to show schools you really are proficient in them.. that of course is extra and not at all necessary.
    Hope your questions were answered, and please dont hesitate to ask any more.

5. star23

star23 Senior Member

Unless you have to take calc based physics or pchem, i wouldn't retake calc. I would retake bio and chem however. This is what I chose to do and I was happy with my decision as chem and bio are more in-depth in college and you need to know that stuff for the MCAT.

6. Dylann FMD

Dylann FMD Senior Member

Definitely skip the AP credits for chemistry, but skip the intro courses for calc and bio. I was in a similar situation several years ago and did just that, and it worked out very well. You will learn very little in an intro bio course that will help you later on. There is nothing on the MCAT that you would learn solely in an intro bio courses--you will have plenty of bio courses to learn the necessary material. I skipped the intro bio course and still did very well on the biological sciences section (14). However, its important to take the chem since it is a sequential course, and high school chem often includes part of general chem I and part of general chem II, but never covers them adequately. Calculus depends on whether you will use it again. I needed to take through Calc III, and didn't want to waste time with another semester of calc. I was more than adequately prepared for calc II. Just my 2 cents--things can change from school to school.