Christian Bible Quotes for Pre-med Inspiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
They made no attacks, they just posted a quote that inspires something in them.

Ey, I call BS to that. It's an under-the-radar way of drawing people out to a religious, troll-like war. Completely unnecessary. This under the radar crap happens online ALL the Time. This kind of crap is also done a lot in high school and petty politics. It takes a nanogram of discernment to see the intent here. There was no "inspiration." It was just another opportunity to take a swipe at Christians--especially from people that have NO idea what they are talking about.

This was not an anti-inspiration thread. It's clear what's going. Hoihare hit it dead on. Good job Hoi, for calling the truth, truth.

Another type of hating on another group of people for beliefs that are clearly not understood.

I guess some people didn't get enough brat-release in high school, so....

Ey, I call BS to that. It's an under-the-radar way of drawing people out to a religious, troll-like war. Completely unnecessary. This under the radar crap happens online ALL the Time. This kind of crap is also done a lot in high school and petty politics. It takes a nanogram of discernment to see the intent here. There was no "inspiration." It was just another opportunity to take a swipe at Christians--especially from people that have NO idea what they are talking about.

This was not an anti-inspiration thread. It's clear what's going. Hoihare hit it dead on. Good job Hoi, for calling the truth, truth.

Another type of hating on another group of people for beliefs that are clearly not understood.

I guess some people didn't get enough brat-release in high school, so....
it appeared to be a stab at Christianity if anything. I really really doubt there was any ill intent towards Christians. It is common and unfortunate that people interpret attacks on their belief system as an attack onto themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand quite well. I was a believer for 21 years and my brother is a biblical scholar with whom I regularly discuss scripture. Saying that someone's religion is full of scary nonsense juxtaposed with the happy clappy Jesus verses is not an attack nor is it born of ignorance. It's a different perspective.

Sorry, no Sir. Sadly, you really don't. Also sadly, you're not alone.

You can tell those that have genuine curiosity/interest and those that are putting in anti-plugs to meet some troubling need. Like I said. Let a few go sometimes. . .unless you really enjoy the religious and political troll wars. :eyebrow::kiss:

it appeared to be a stab at Christianity if anything. I really really doubt there was any ill intent towards Christians. It is common and unfortunate that people interpret attacks on their belief system as an attack onto themselves.

It authentic Christianity, there is to be no distinction; so this shows an even further lack of understanding. We are Christ's and He is ours. It's incredible how people will twist things (rationalization attempts) that are done, however, depending on what side of issues they fall.

It authentic Christianity, there is to be no distinction; so this shows an even further lack of understanding. We are Christ's and He is ours. It's incredible how people will twist things (rationalization attempts) that are done, however, depending on what side of issues they fall.
Fine. I and everyone else is free to disagree with your beliefs. This isn't meant as a personal attack, but you feeling that way should not dissuade me. or others. Most people admittedly practice a form of Christianity that isn't quite as extreme as yours and do not necessarily share your interpretation here.

Also, my final sentence was intentionally general, "people" not "Christians."

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is analogous to an angsty freshman in college posting song lyrics that they think apply to premed life. Not a good look on anyone.

ey it would have been fine if it was left the way it had been intended; or not possibly pulled out of neo-antiquity in order stir things up. Maybe the person that resurrected it didn't mean to do this; I don't know. But clearly, others just decided to use it as a form of derision. The thread was not about discussing why a person is either for or against Christianity. So, it was taken out of it's original intent in order to be specifically toxic against Christians and Christianity. The two are linked so any BS that dances around it is nonsense.

My prediction. A smart mod will probably close this ancient thread, especially seeing how it has been taken in a negative way from it's intended purpose. That is, you don't believe or like Christianity or Scripture, start you own thread about why you hate it; but don't make a thread that was meant to be encouraging, and then make it all negative or use it as an opportunity to crap all over it or what it's about. Have enough respect to start your own "I hate Christianity or Scripture or Whatever." Have some guts, and start your own anti-thread, rather than highjacking a positive thread from others.

Last edited:
Sorry, no Sir. Sadly, you really don't. Also sadly, you're not alone.

You can tell those that have genuine curiosity/interest and those that are putting in anti-plugs to meet some troubling need. Like I said. Let a few go sometimes. . .unless you really enjoy the religious and political troll wars. :eyebrow::kiss:
So someone who doesn't agree just doesn't understand and should shut up.

I'm glad "shut up" replaced "burn at the stake".

Last edited by a moderator:
This. The two are not equivalent.

Also, just because Bible verses don't inspire the same thing in me doesn't mean I don't find them inspirational. They can inspire me to work harder, do better, and prove myself. Sure, in my case it is because I find they remind me of obstacles I must work to overcome rather than feeling that they lift me up, but it's still inspiration!

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

1 Corinthians 13:11

Thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother’s milk. Exodus 23:19
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Ephesians 6:5 NLT

A couple that really speak to me about the pre-med experience

Let there be peace on earth... not a quote but a song that calms me:

A large portion of the book was written before the advent of science or the scientific method. I don't see how the bible speaks to science.

Not saying it explicitly does - just saying some verses (like the ones Goro posted) kind of direct you to consider the raw power of nature, the universe etc.

I think it can speak to those who are religious and those who aren't in different ways, but in both cases can lead to a sense of awe and appreciation for the world we live in.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is always been one of my personal favorites -

But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

I think observance of this concept would reduce a lot of the animosity we see between people.

I think observance of this concept would reduce a lot of the animosity we see between people.
To be fair, it's really freaking hard.

Reactions: 1 users
To be fair, it's really freaking hard.
I have no desire to love my enemies. I just don't see the point.
Understand them? See their perspective? Sure, that's useful. Be polite to them? I'll make an effort. And I don't generally hate even the people who screw me over. But love? Nope, I have no desire to do so, nor do I feel bad for not attempting to. All that does is make it more painful when they stick a knife in your back.

So someone who doesn't agree just doesn't understand and should shut up.

I'm glad "shut up" replaced "burn at the stake".

Start your own anti-thread, since that it was you seem to be hankering for. Simple solution. :)

Last edited:
Loving one's enemies is NOT something someone can do in their own strength and power. It's impossible to just "will it" and have it be authentic. It's a truly supernatural change combined with an act of loving obedience. As counterintuitive as it seems, with the right power of influence and loving obedience, it actually does change how you feel about the other person, and it totally frees you. The animosity and hate is then all theirs. They either find the way to let it go and be free or it poisons them.

I simply think the original intent of this fairly old thread should be honored over being hijacked to dishonor. It's a pretty simple concept really. People can feel free to start their own discussions on things their don't believe in or whatever. That's fine.

Thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother’s milk. Exodus 23:19
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Ephesians 6:5 NLT

A couple that really speak to me about the pre-med experience

LOL, well, if you think for one second you are NOT entering into a servant role as a physician and that you will darn surely be a wave slave, particular throughout residency and early practice, well, surprise. You will be. And you will be expected to obey your masters. That hasn't changed in medicine for forever.

This. The two are not equivalent.

In authentic Christianity, they most absolutely are. Saying otherwise does not change that. Note the modifier and not merely traditional following of religion. Big difference.

But I'll just let this thread run out, and perhaps it will get yet another necro bump in say, another 11 years.

Loving one's enemies is NOT something someone can do in their own strength and power. It's impossible to just "will it" and have it be authentic. It's a truly supernatural change combined with an act of loving obedience. As counterintuitive as it seems, with the right power of influence and loving obedience, it actually does change how you feel about the other person, and it totally frees you. The animosity and hate is then all theirs. They either find the way to let it go and be free or it poisons them.

I simply think the original intent of this fairly old thread should be honored over being hijacked to dishonor. It's a pretty simple concept really. People can feel free to start their own discussions on things their don't believe in or whatever. That's fine.
Yeah I have no idea what you are going on about. I'm not even Christian, I like the quote in a **** the haters kinda way. No reason to clutter my mind with ill will towards those who don't give a damn about me. Plus, if I try and think about why people say and do horrible things, it's probably because they feel even worse than I do, and I'm not the type of person to bash people who are hurting.

Start your own anti-thread, since that it was you seem to be hankering for. Simple solution. :)
You're right. I wouldn't want to introduce dissonance into the Christian echo chamber.

In authentic Christianity, they most absolutely are. Saying otherwise does not change that. Note the modifier and not merely traditional following of religion. Big difference.
Sorry, I must know. What is an "authentic Christian" and what makes one a true Scotsman?

Yeah I have no idea what you are going on about. I'm not even Christian, I like the quote in a **** the haters kinda way. No reason to clutter my mind with ill will towards those who don't give a damn about me. Plus, if I try and think about why people say and do horrible things, it's probably because they feel even worse than I do, and I'm not the type of person to bash people who are hurting.
Lol, I thought you were responding to me and got a little confused...then I saw the 'Show Ignored Content' button at the bottom of the page. I kind of wish it would give some sort of indication when it cuts a quote. I don't want to read the quote, but knowing that something was there would be helpful!

Lol, I thought you were responding to me and got a little confused...then I saw the 'View Ignored Posts' button at the bottom of the page. I kind of wish it would give some sort of indication when it cuts a quote. I don't want to read the quote, but knowing that something was there would be helpful!
Yeah I agree that's really weird and would be better if there was some indication of when things are a response to an ignored poster otherwise whole threads can make no sense.

the ignore feature is a good idea for sure, but I wish they would fix some bugs - like the fact that it doesn't work at all on the mobile site.

Yeah I agree that's really weird and would be better if there was some indication of when things are a response to an ignored poster otherwise whole threads can make no sense.

the ignore feature is a good idea for sure, but I wish they would fix some bugs - like the fact that it doesn't work at all on the mobile site.
Or the fact that you don't get notified when an ignored member posts (great!), but then afterwards you don't get notifications for that thread at all unless you happen to check back into it yourself (bad).