Christmas in August????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by rhillstr, Aug 14, 1999.

1. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member

I just wanted to get in touch with all the other applicants for the entering class of 2000 by asking where you guys/gals applied and what school would you pick if you get your choice. Yes I am aware the real answer is: Anywhere that accepts me, but I am curious if you could choose your school where you would go and why. Take care and GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. miglo

miglo Senior Member

#1 choice is Western/COMP simply because I its close to home and I have a friend that goes there. Otherwise I would probably chose a school that has ties to a big university (for chicks/life ya know [​IMG] ). Lastly I would chose a school that has strong ties to BIG teaching hospitals (>500 beds). Hope this helps!

miglo

ps: how many secondaries have you guys sent out so far?

4. SD

SD Senior Member

I just sent out 5 secondaries today, they were among my first, and the easiest. I'm just crossing my fingers that someone will overlook those poor MCAT scores... heehee.

5. miglo

miglo Senior Member

How poor if you dont mind me asking?

6. SD

SD Senior Member

Poor is a 25. <sigh>

7. miglo

miglo Senior Member

Thats weird SD, I got a 29 on my MCATs and a straight rejection from WVCOM. This whole thing is a crapshoot!! [​IMG]

miglo

8. SD

SD Senior Member

It's definately like playing the lotto. Maybe they really do all pull names out of a hat! LOL.

9. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member

CRAPSHOOT! LOTTO! Pull the lever and wait to hit the jackpot.
    AACOMAS should move to Vegas. I agree, numbers are bunk. They're just your ante to gamble for a spot. I did 33 on my MCAT and I am running scared.
    I wish all good luck and hope we all get in!

10. E Cartman

E Cartman Junior Member

Miglo,

WVSOM only considers applicants from WV and other "southern appalachian states." If you aren't from one of these locations, they simply dump you. This is what I was told by one of their admissions officers last year. I have a great deal of family in West Virginia, and would love to attend school there, but I'm from the midwest, so I'm S.O.L. I am, however, applying to Marshall's MD program--at least they'll consider me.

By the way, a 29 on the MCAT is WELL above WVSOM's published averages.

11. miglo

miglo Senior Member

33 kicks ass my friend! no need to be scared heheheh

12. almasque

almasque Member

Patience. Keep in mind many of the larger schools are currently being flooded with literally thousands of applications, aamcomas & secondaries, & they dont get into full swing until October & November. It sounds as though many of you have very competitive numbers, and are ahead of the game by having all your packages in early. So be patient, waiting is the toughest part.

13. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member

Right again friends, waiting game.
    The toughest part is getting a secondary to them that shows them who you really are and that you are up to this. Then the interrogate, er interview you (if your lucky). Then you wait, and pace, and wait... Then finally a letter shows up and your hands shake as you hold it. Rejection? Wait List? .......Acceptance? God will I be glad when this ride is over. I will remember this experience, one way or the other, the rest of my life.
    By the way Miglo, I want to go to WUCOMP too. I might get WICHE support if they accept me and I love the west coast. Maybe I'll get to see you there!

[This message has been edited by rhillstr (edited August 17, 1999).]

14. miglo

miglo Senior Member

Sounds good, maybe we can chill over a big mug of beer and laugh about this whole experience. [​IMG] Good luck all!

15. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member

I'll bring us some Portland Microbrew!
    Would a keg be enough.......?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. miglo

miglo Senior Member

keg _should_ be enough for us and a few cute nursing students...but you never know [​IMG]

18. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member

Now you're thinking Miglo! We haven't been accepted and we're already getting into trouble..... I wonder if they read this?
    HE HE He

19. miglo

miglo Senior Member

I think they have better things to do than read this forum...or so one hopes! hehehe