Christopher Duntsch, disgraced Neurosurgeon, receives life sentence!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgboPsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2017/02/ex-neurosurgeon-christopher-duntsch-sentenced-to-life/

The article says that Dr. Duntsch was the first person sentenced for malcontent during operations and is false. Plastic surgeons have been convicted for manslaughter for comparable things.

How did this guy even finish medical residency if he was so incompetent? He was amputating muscle, nerves, leaving people paralyzed, etc..

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2017/02/ex-neurosurgeon-christopher-duntsch-sentenced-to-life/

The article says that Dr. Duntsch was the first person sentenced for malcontent during operations and is false. Plastic surgeons have been convicted for manslaughter for comparable things.

How did this guy even finish medical residency if he was so incompetent? He was amputating muscle, nerves, leaving people paralyzed, etc..

More complete story is here. http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2016/november/christopher-duntsch-dr-death/?ref=mpw

I think there are still a lot of unanswered questions when it comes to how he was able to continue practicing for so long.

He wasn't incompetent. He was a self-proclaimed "cold-blooded killer." He literally wrote that in an e-mail to a colleague shortly before his crimes. He placed implants into muscle instead of bone, drilled screws into the spinal cavity, amputated nerve roots, etc...One does not simply do all of those things in a single surgery out of incompetence. It was 100% intentional, malicious, and criminal. I'm glad this sicko got life in prison, and I hope he rots in hell.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The distilled version from reading the many, many, many articles is that he likely had a serious combination of psychiatric illness superimposed on severe substance abuse.

Some highlights:

-Was allegedly suspended during residency after an OR nurse recognized him from da club the night before, where he'd been using cocaine. He was about to scrub a pediatric neuro case while still under the influence. Was suspended and went through a substance abuse program before being reinstated and allowed to finish residency. Was, according to the various news articles, otherwise considered a fine resident.

-Substance abuse went off the rails in practice. One of his very first cases he operated, walked out of the hospital, and flew to Vegas on a multi-day bender, leaving behind a patient in the hospital with no covering physician or plan for transition of care.

-Psych issues began worsening, surrounding some very messy relationship/paternity issues. (See the "cold-blooded killer" letter)

-Hopped from hospital to hospital while the TMB lagged behind. Major systems issues in terms of inadequate hospital reporting of adverse events and a board that was slow to act.

-Continued substance abuse issues. The friend of his who was paralyzed was doing drugs with him a day or two before his operation.

-Surgical skills were deemed so bad that a doctor in the state literally called up his medical school asking for a photo of him as a student, thinking it may be an imposter impersonating a doctor.

-Finally got his license tossed, fled the state. Was in a major manic swing, founding research companies. Literally was chasing reporters around in comments sections posting manic diatribes in response to these stories coming out!!

-Arrested in a Walmart for stealing clothes!!

-Finally justice system caught up. The life sentence is a sad but necessary end to this crazy story.

Reactions: 21 users
Man I read about this several years ago, this is the type of stuff that makes me worry for the profession...

Reactions: 1 user
The distilled version from reading the many, many, many articles is that he likely had a serious combination of psychiatric illness superimposed on severe substance abuse.

Some highlights:

-Was allegedly suspended during residency after an OR nurse recognized him from da club the night before, where he'd been using cocaine. He was about to scrub a pediatric neuro case while still under the influence. Was suspended and went through a substance abuse program before being reinstated and allowed to finish residency. Was, according to the various news articles, otherwise considered a fine resident.

-Substance abuse went off the rails in practice. One of his very first cases he operated, walked out of the hospital, and flew to Vegas on a multi-day bender, leaving behind a patient in the hospital with no covering physician or plan for transition of care.

-Psych issues began worsening, surrounding some very messy relationship/paternity issues. (See the "cold-blooded killer" letter)

-Hopped from hospital to hospital while the TMB lagged behind. Major systems issues in terms of inadequate hospital reporting of adverse events and a board that was slow to act.

-Continued substance abuse issues. The friend of his who was paralyzed was doing drugs with him a day or two before his operation.

-Surgical skills were deemed so bad that a doctor in the state literally called up his medical school asking for a photo of him as a student, thinking it may be an imposter impersonating a doctor.

-Finally got his license tossed, fled the state. Was in a major manic swing, founding research companies. Literally was chasing reporters around in comments sections posting manic diatribes in response to these stories coming out!!

-Finally justice system caught up. The life sentence is a sad but necessary end to this crazy story.

Man, this is why I come to SDN. Solid journalism there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
inally justice system caught up. The life sentence is a sad but necessary end to this crazy story.

What is sad is that he was allowed to endanger and hurt people for so long. He clearly has issues, but if things had moved faster, he could have gotten removed from practice sooner, saving lives. Sad story.

Reactions: 1 users

I am pretty sure that I wasn't wrong and that was just what I was informed was the truth by the reports out there. Okay? I know the difference between 38 and 8 okay? My brain is big league and the reports out there okay? Are you one of the Bowling Green Massacre perpetrators or what?

Reactions: 5 users
I am pretty sure that I wasn't wrong and that was just what I was informed was the truth by the reports out there. Okay? I know the difference between 38 and 8 okay? My brain is big league and the reports out there okay? Are you one of the Bowling Green Massacre perpetrators or what?
:rofl:

Reactions: 1 users

Some highlights:

Good list. You were kind about "relationship issues". He met a stripper at the club on one of his benders and proceeded to move her in with him and have 2 kids with her.
Interestingly, I worked with a neurosurgeon who also took a stripper straight out of the club and had kids with her. I guess n=2 isn't a great sample size but still what are the chances?

Good list. You were kind about "relationship issues". He met a stripper at the club on one of his benders and proceeded to move her in with him and have 2 kids with her.
Interestingly, I worked with a neurosurgeon who also took a stripper straight out of the club and had kids with her. I guess n=2 isn't a great sample size but still what are the chances?

I'm still trying to convince my gf to become a stripper. I can do the implants in a few years; =P. oh god,she's gonna murder me now.

Reactions: 2 users
He wasn't incompetent. He was a self-proclaimed "cold-blooded killer." He literally wrote that in an e-mail to a colleague shortly before his crimes. He placed implants into muscle instead of bone, drilled screws into the spinal cavity, amputated nerve roots, etc...One does not simply do all of those things in a single surgery out of incompetence. It was 100% intentional, malicious, and criminal. I'm glad this sicko got life in prison, and I hope he rots in hell.

You are blowing his email out of proportion, especially given the fact that he wasn't even talking about surgery when he was talking about being a "cold blooded killer".

You are blowing his email out of proportion, especially given the fact that he wasn't even talking about surgery when he was talking about being a "cold blooded killer".

Tell that to the people who will never see their loved ones again.

Why weren't they testing him for drugs? Isnt a drug test part of the onboarding ? You need a piss test to get a job at best buy these days.

Why weren't they testing him for drugs? Isnt a drug test part of the onboarding ? You need a piss test to get a job at best buy these days.

I doubt drugs were the problem. He apparently used cocaine which, if anything, would have improved his performance (like all stimulants do). His problem was incompetence. Surgeons refused to work with him because he had poor technique. and poor skills. Also, he had no empathy for his patients.

Halsted used cocaine and abused drugs too. But we don't know whether he severed arteries and nerves. I personally don't get the need to do drugs.