Chronic Pain In Working Aged Adults...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So....did you watch it or not? Because we would all appreciate the cliff notes on this long talk

It's well worth the 1.5hrs. He uses FMS as a jumping off point for central sensitization. He generalizes it to include RLS, FMS, cLBP, IBS, IC, etc.
It is an excellent overview of the topic put in lay language by a guy with a deep fund of knowledge. It should be required watching for all working aged
adults with CNP.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's well worth the 1.5hrs. He uses FMS as a jumping off point for central sensitization. He generalizes it to include RLS, FMS, cLBP, IBS, IC, etc.
It is an excellent overview of the topic put in lay language by a guy with a deep fund of knowledge. It should be required watching for all working aged
adults with CNP.

As long as i dont have to sit through it.

If I watch it will you give
Me disability?

It's worth seeing. He is a master of spotting, Txing, & teaching about CS. He can pick it up from a ROS : chronic pain, fatigue, mental slowing, sleep disturbance, RLS, FMS, IC, EDS, IBS,...

Just watched it while doing other crap at work. He was pretty knowledgeable however he seemed to advocate pot stating there was good evidence supporting it's use for somatic and neuropathic pain. Hmmmm

Patients listen up, this is all you need to know.

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=8716

Q: What do you think the future looks like for FM patients? Are we moving forward in dealing with this debilitating disease - as patients, practitioners, and as a society?

Dr. Clauw: Perhaps the most promising thing for patients is that the pharmaceutical industry is getting much more interested in FM than in the past. The pharmaceutical industry ultimately will be responsible for putting Fibromyalgia “on the map,” both with respect to the “legitimization” of this illness, and to finding more effective treatments. That is how validation has happened with other illnesses like irritable bowel syndrome, and migraine headaches.

https://creakyjoints.org/acr-storie...l-marijuanas-place-in-chronic-pain-treatment/

After his discussion of the great potential uses and misuses of medical marijuana Daniel J Clauw, M.D. Professor of Anesthesiology, Rheumatology, and Psychology, as well as the Director of the Chronic Pain and Fatigue Research Center at the University of Michigan said, “I don’t think anyone in the year 2014, if they’re trying to use cannabis for medicinal purposes, should be smoking in the classic way… It makes absolutely no sense.”

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=8716

Q: What do you think the future looks like for FM patients? Are we moving forward in dealing with this debilitating disease - as patients, practitioners, and as a society?

Dr. Clauw: Perhaps the most promising thing for patients is that the pharmaceutical industry is getting much more interested in FM than in the past. The pharmaceutical industry ultimately will be responsible for putting Fibromyalgia “on the map,” both with respect to the “legitimization” of this illness, and to finding more effective treatments. That is how validation has happened with other illnesses like irritable bowel syndrome, and migraine headaches.
the implication runs counter to the mantra: "research changes policy, policy changes payment, payment changes practice."

rather, in my opinion, this implies that $$ changes policy and practice...

Reactions: 1 users
the implication runs counter to the mantra: "research changes policy, policy changes payment, payment changes practice."

rather, in my opinion, this implies that $$ changes policy and practice...

Yes. Anyone who seriously believes the mantra probably never sat in a room where health policy was being invented...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=historysearch&querykey=5

J Pain. 2015 Oct;16(10):1054-64. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2015.06.009. Epub 2015 Jul 11.
Comorbidity of Mental Disorders and Chronic Pain: Chronology of Onset in Adolescents of a National Representative Cohort.
Tegethoff M1, Belardi A2, Stalujanis E2, Meinlschmidt G3.
Author information

Abstract
This study sought to estimate 1) the prevalence of the co-occurrence of, 2) the association between, and 3) the sequence of onset of chronic pain and mental disorders in adolescents. We used weighted data (N = 6,483) from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication Adolescent Supplement (participants' age, 13-18 years). Lifetime chronic pain was assessed by adolescent self-report; lifetime DSM-IV mental disorders were assessed by the WHO Composite International Diagnostic Interview, complemented by parent report. Among the participants in the study, 1,600 of 6,476 (25.93%) had experienced any type of chronic pain and any mental disorder in their lifetime. All types of pain were related to mental disorders. The most substantial temporal associations were those with onset of mental disorders preceding onset of chronic pain, including those between affective disorders and headaches and any chronic pain; between anxiety disorders and chronic back/neck pain, headaches, and any chronic pain; between behavior disorders and headaches and any chronic pain; and between any mental disorder and chronic back/neck pain, headaches, and any chronic pain.

PERSPECTIVE:
Findings indicate that affective, anxiety, and behavior disorders are early risk factors of chronic pain, thereby highlighting the relevance of child mental disorders for pain medicine. To improve prevention and interventions for chronic pain, integrative care should be considered.

I want to hear more from emma watson ;) In all seriousness I have started referring patients to this website in addition to Dr. Sarno's books. No joke! Repressed anxiety and depression contribute to my patient's somatic complaints more than most anything else

Reactions: 1 users
Damn it is a long video! I don't think he is saying anything most chronic pain patients have not heard, he just seems to do an excellent job at saying it in a way that many would listen.

From my experience with some docs before dx was pinned down, I learned that initial approach (physician) is crucial.

And on the side of the patient, accountability (or empowerment as he put it) is just as important but often lacking because many of us put everything on the physician.