CHSU vs Noorda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Achelorn

Reaction score
I was accepted into a couple DO schools early on including CHSU and Noorda and have mostly narrowed it down to these two based on location, family, mental health etc. I would really hope to be able to go into a competitive specialty (ortho) and realize that since both of these schools are incredibly new it is going to be an uphill battle.

Noorda
pros:
  • Research is part of the curriculum which would help residency apps stand out more
  • Their mission statement aims to get us as competitive as possible (not just family medicine)
  • Students love the environment and have only heard good things about the faculty and staff
  • The curriculum looks interesting where its centered around the students more
  • New campus next year with state of the art facilities
cons:
  • Super new school meaning no federal loans, pre-accredited, no data really about match rates or pass rates
  • The curriculum while interesting is also incredibly new without really evidence to show its effective
  • I read somewhere on SDN that the scores of Comlex 1 for first year Noorda students was 188 which is 9 points below national average (don't know how true that is though)
  • Grades instead of pass/fail
CHSU
pros:
  • In California, home state and a 3 hour drive from family
  • Will probably be easier to match into California residencies
  • While they are also new they had some people from A.T Still COM and Kirksville COM go through their clinical rotations with 100% match. One matched ortho and one matched gen surgery
  • Their curriculum is standard and based off of the two pass system
  • Have also only heard only good things from students and the faculty
cons:
  • Also new meaning no federal loans, pre-accredited, other than the visiting students not much else data on pass rates for Comlex
  • No research (will most likely have to look around for it)
  • Grades
  • No cadavers, virtual anatomy

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to say Noorda (but CHSU is also amazing, congrats!!) and I want to touch on a few points you made:

• Going through Noorda's directory, many of them came from KCU/KCU-Joplin and other prominent DO schools which mattered a ton for me
  • The COMLEX comment is correct and the point they were making to that is that their first years are scoring close to the national average without even touching second year material
  • Noorda has cadavers which was super important for me
  • Curriculum is very very very similar to CalMed which has data
  • More of a collaborative enviroment
Feel free to dm me for more!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user