CHSUCOM vs ATSU-SOMA ve PNWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rose88pink88

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m from California and currently have acceptances to all of these schools. I’m interested in going to CHSUCOM but I’m also hesitant because it’s a slightly new school and has yet to become accredited. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t. If you are from SoCal then SOMA. If you are from NorCal then PNWU.

Reactions: 5 users

This very recent thread is relevant to your current dilemma. But the above post is also all you need to know, too.

Reactions: 1 users
The bigger question here is why in god's earth does someone willingly want to live/return to California, RUN RUN RUN as fast as you can out the state and never look back...

• Dislike
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m interested in going to CHSUCOM but I’m also hesitant because it’s a slightly new school and has yet to become accredited. Any advice is appreciated.
It’s not slightly new. It’s newer than most of your socks. It’s probably newer than your car unless you got one when you graduated from undergrad.

And “yet to become accredited” is a real thing. You take that only if it’s your only acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
Low salaries and high COL. Not sure why so many people want to live there :rofl:

Fun fact: cali lets foreign dentists work there and gives them full licenses after 5 years which is why dentistry is so saturated there and barely average $120k. I have friends without degrees who make more at start ups
People are mass exodusing the state, at the current rate there will be literally no one in Cali by 2050 lol

People are mass exodusing the state, at the current rate there will be literally no one in Cali by 2050 lol
There’s always going to be people aching to get into Cali. We’re literally in the second front page thread with someone weighing how much career suicide is tolerable for the purposes of living there lol.

The “mass exodus” is mostly hype. Although people are leaving the highest COL areas in the state. No 'mass exodus' in California during the pandemic, study finds

There’s always going to be people aching to get into Cali. We’re literally in the second front page thread with someone weighing how much career suicide is tolerable for the purposes of living there lol.

The “mass exodus” is mostly hype. Although people are leaving the highest COL areas in the state. No 'mass exodus' in California during the pandemic, study finds
Bro I don't care what a article says, there is plenty of evidence that people are exiting the state in droves, I literally see soo many Cali license plates in other states, especially Texas and other southern states... and also dont listen to CNN, thats not really journalism and we all know that, come on now...

• Dislike
Bro I don't care what a article says, there is plenty of evidence that people are exiting the state in droves, I literally see soo many Cali license plates in other states, especially Texas and other southern states... and also dont listen to CNN, thats not really journalism and we all know that, come on now...
They’re citing a study from Berkeley referencing actual data. Your anecdotal experiences (that somehow include you being in multiple states as a presumably busy medical student during a pandemic) are not as relevant.

Reactions: 10 users
Ya that’s anecdotal evidence. I come from the conservative northern part of California and tons are moving to Idaho and Texas. But I wouldn’t say that’s the vast majority. Especially since the population is in the bay and SoCal where those people are not moving to those places

I find it scary that a doctor isn't willing to listen to objective fact over what his emotions and anecdotes feel like.

I find it scary that a doctor isn't willing to listen to objective fact over what his emotions and anecdotes feel like.
Like every study is “objective” or “fact”, the beauty about being a physician is being able to read studies and tell which ones are complete BS,(this one about people NOT moving out of California isn’t even scientific in nature nor should how I interpret it have anything to do with me being a medical student). If we go by what you are saying then for a good number of years we should have blindly believed that autism is caused by vaccines(MMR vaccine study in the Lancet) because that was also a “published study supposedly supported by some data”, I don’t think a Berkeley study(ahem a public university in California haha) is completely void of some bias and being pushed by CNN to counteract what socially people are seeing in other states with Californians moving in by the droves, let’s wait and see what the census shows and how much Californians population shrank and how many moved out of California, that’s the “ultimate data”.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Like every study is “objective” or “fact”, the beauty about being a physician is being able to read studies and tell which ones are complete BS,(this one about people NOT moving out of California isn’t even scientific in nature nor should how I interpret it have anything to do with me being a medical student). If we go by what you are saying then for a good number of years we should have blindly believed that autism is caused by vaccines(MMR vaccine study in the Lancet) because that was also a “published study supposedly supported by some data”, I don’t think a Berkeley study(ahem a public university in California haha) is completely void of some bias and being pushed by CNN to counteract what socially people are seeing in other states with Californians moving in by the droves, let’s wait and see what the census shows and how much Californians population shrank and how many moved out of California, that’s the “ultimate data”.
Except we know for a fact that the net population loss in California in 2020 was 182,083. Hardly a mass exodus in a state of 40 million.

I'd choose PNWU or SOMA, don't know why anyone would pick a brand new, non-accredited for profit school if they didn't have to.
SOMA is switching to a 100% PBL based curriculum though (the current students have raised holy hell about this, it's poorly implemented), and they have a 1+3 system. Not sure what PNWU's curriculum is like.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer OP's question, I vote ATSU. Met strong students from that school on rotations and it seemed that they have better than average clinicals, including CA spots.

Any school (CHSUCOM included) that does not yet offer federal loans should be at the bottom of your list. Your future self will thank you.

Don't have enough knowledge on PNWU to comment, but my initial take was their clinical rotations are quite spread out.

Any of the the schools will get you where you want to go in the end. Your success or failure is entirely up to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,
I’m from California and currently have acceptances to all of these schools. I’m interested in going to CHSUCOM but I’m also hesitant because it’s a slightly new school and has yet to become accredited. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

I recommend PacNW > SOMA

Are you seriously making this comparison to the lancet? Why would anyone besides Berkly care to publish a study about people leaving CA? Also, how is your anecdotal evidence of seeing California license plates any better evidence? I don't understand why people like to hate so much on California while having no connection to the state? Who cares if people are leaving, some people want to go back to where they are from and be close to family. The SDN attitude of hating anyone who wants to go to CA or NYC is :beat:

Reactions: 4 users
Are you seriously making this comparison to the lancet? Why would anyone besides Berkly care to publish a study about people leaving CA? Also, how is your anecdotal evidence of seeing California license plates any better evidence? I don't understand why people like to hate so much on California while having no connection to the state? Who cares if people are leaving, some people want to go back to where they are from and be close to family. The SDN attitude of hating anyone who wants to go to CA or NYC is :beat:
Exactly, I have no intention of ever going to Cali or ny for many of the aforementioned reasons, but to pretend they're awful places with absolutely no reason to move there is so narrow minded

I have zero plans of moving to California, but it’s totally understandable with the massive amounts of natural beauty and equally large cities that can provide anything you could want in a city. Yes yes “taxes bad,” that’s been played out many times before. But where else in the world can you find an area that contains the range of natural beauty from Joshua Tree to Death Valley to Yosemite to the redwoods? Sure as **** ain’t going to find that in ID or TX, I would know as I’ve spend significant amounts of time in both.

Can current CHSU students talk about your experience here? I'm told that the accepted student pool is competitive (~506 average MCAT).

Can current CHSU students talk about your experience here? I'm told that the accepted student pool is competitive (~506 average MCAT).
I’m a second year here and I’ve had an exceptional experience at CHSU. The faculty and staff are incredibly supportive and we are constantly doing questions to prep us for boards. We have students from USC, UCLA, Berkeley, UC Davis, and many more. From my understanding the average MCAT for the class of 2025 was something like 506 MCAT and 3.5 GPA. The school is incredible and they’re getting extremely involved in the community. All rotation sites are within an hour of campus. Any other questions, let me know.

My understanding is that they send the students all over the State of Arizona, and the rotation sites are not that great
Soma only has 3 sites in AZ, 1 in Brooklyn (langone), a few in CA, the rest are scattered (HI, SC, IL, OH, PA, TX). Also tying your rotation site to when you pay a deposit just seems like a cheap move. the idea of 1+3 is a cool idea if you actually started clinical education early, but you do not besides a few hours of shadowing. The rest of the time you are just watching recorded lectures.

Soma only has 3 sites in AZ, 1 in Brooklyn (langone), a few in CA, the rest are scattered (HI, SC, IL, OH, PA, TX). Also tying your rotation site to when you pay a deposit just seems like a cheap move. the idea of 1+3 is a cool idea if you actually started clinical education early, but you do not besides a few hours of shadowing. The rest of the time you are just watching recorded lectures.
When I see this type of diaspora of students, I worry about the oversight of their education.