1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

cincinnati secondary and speeding tickets

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by breck, Aug 8, 2006.

1. breck

breck Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Has anyone seen this question on any other secondaries. I thought it was odd for them to ask about. I see in the FAQ section that they want to know if we engage in dangerous activities or something like that, or do anything to endanger others. But this still seems odd. They don't ask about skydiving, base jumping, race car driving, downhill skiing, military service etc. Anyway, I would like to lie and say no speeding tickets for me, but I'll just be honest. I got a ton of speeding tickets between the ages of 16 and 18 but haven't had a moving violation since (over 9 years). Hopefully it won't hurt me too bad. Your thoughts??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If it's on your driving record you sure as hell better report it... I requested mine and it listed a minor accident I had. So I wrote what happened in the box. They want to see if there is a pattern of reckless driving. In their FAQ they say one thing doesn't matter. What could you lose unless you had like 10 tickets?

4. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They're trying to gauge whether in the future you will be able to race to a page or dying patient without crashing into a tree and becoming one yourself. I'd recommend taking a NASCAR prep post bacc program or perhaps changing your choice of transportation to a moped or cycle and see if that helps. They just don't want to be known as the school that produces doctors whose driving skills are on par with old asian women.

5. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    who knows exactly why they ask the question...

All I can say is I think it would be a really dumb idea to lie.

6. nighthawk3

nighthawk3 Member
    2+ Year Member

I think they are asking about convictions for moving violations rather than just your driving record. For instance, I have on record one non-moving violation (turn signal out) which I did not report to UC. I was also in a minor accident, but was not cited in the case, and therefore did not report that to UC either. If they want to call me a liar, fine, but I think the question is ridiculous and their directions are ambiguous.

7. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Lol,yeah I listed mine. Just about everyone has had a couple of speeding tickets, especially guys. I doubt it plays much into their decision about your acceptance.

8. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just remembered I applied to their combined BA/MD program back in the day. They made me list speeding tickets. I had a ticket and was rather surprised that they asked for a full explanation of any tickets you had. I mean come on, I don't even feel bad about driving in excess of the speed limit on the beltway. Excess is the speed of the beltway.

9. RokChalkJayhawk

RokChalkJayhawk Muck Fizzou
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think they want to know because a ticket shows up on a background check so they just want to be sure... I ran a background check on myself earlier today and fortunately nothing came up... I did run a stop sign in high school though (and was cited).

I can't imagine that having one or even a couple basic moving violations plays any role in your admission to med school

10. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some speeding tickets I won't mind reporting, but I feel that they may frown on the 30-over tickets.

I've had each of my tickets "handled," though, and supposedly taken off my record. However, I don't know if it still shows up as expunged or what the case may be, so I plan to inquire a bit further.

11. BrownianMotion

BrownianMotion Einstein's Simple Diffusion
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    how can u do a background check on urself?