cincinnati secondary and speeding tickets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this question on any other secondaries. I thought it was odd for them to ask about. I see in the FAQ section that they want to know if we engage in dangerous activities or something like that, or do anything to endanger others. But this still seems odd. They don't ask about skydiving, base jumping, race car driving, downhill skiing, military service etc. Anyway, I would like to lie and say no speeding tickets for me, but I'll just be honest. I got a ton of speeding tickets between the ages of 16 and 18 but haven't had a moving violation since (over 9 years). Hopefully it won't hurt me too bad. Your thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

breck said:
Has anyone seen this question on any other secondaries. I thought it was odd for them to ask about. I see in the FAQ section that they want to know if we engage in dangerous activities or something like that, or do anything to endanger others. But this still seems odd. They don't ask about skydiving, base jumping, race car driving, downhill skiing, military service etc. Anyway, I would like to lie and say no speeding tickets for me, but I'll just be honest. I got a ton of speeding tickets between the ages of 16 and 18 but haven't had a moving violation since (over 9 years). Hopefully it won't hurt me too bad. Your thoughts??

If it's on your driving record you sure as hell better report it... I requested mine and it listed a minor accident I had. So I wrote what happened in the box. They want to see if there is a pattern of reckless driving. In their FAQ they say one thing doesn't matter. What could you lose unless you had like 10 tickets?

They're trying to gauge whether in the future you will be able to race to a page or dying patient without crashing into a tree and becoming one yourself. I'd recommend taking a NASCAR prep post bacc program or perhaps changing your choice of transportation to a moped or cycle and see if that helps. They just don't want to be known as the school that produces doctors whose driving skills are on par with old asian women.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they are asking about convictions for moving violations rather than just your driving record. For instance, I have on record one non-moving violation (turn signal out) which I did not report to UC. I was also in a minor accident, but was not cited in the case, and therefore did not report that to UC either. If they want to call me a liar, fine, but I think the question is ridiculous and their directions are ambiguous.

Lol,yeah I listed mine. Just about everyone has had a couple of speeding tickets, especially guys. I doubt it plays much into their decision about your acceptance.

I just remembered I applied to their combined BA/MD program back in the day. They made me list speeding tickets. I had a ticket and was rather surprised that they asked for a full explanation of any tickets you had. I mean come on, I don't even feel bad about driving in excess of the speed limit on the beltway. Excess is the speed of the beltway.

I think they want to know because a ticket shows up on a background check so they just want to be sure... I ran a background check on myself earlier today and fortunately nothing came up... I did run a stop sign in high school though (and was cited).

I can't imagine that having one or even a couple basic moving violations plays any role in your admission to med school

Some speeding tickets I won't mind reporting, but I feel that they may frown on the 30-over tickets.

I've had each of my tickets "handled," though, and supposedly taken off my record. However, I don't know if it still shows up as expunged or what the case may be, so I plan to inquire a bit further.

how can u do a background check on urself?