Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WSUreds, Dec 13, 2001.

1. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I'm just curious to see how many people at SDN interviewed at UC or got accepted there and what they thought of the school.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RainaNoelle

RainaNoelle Member

Love the school...still waiting for the interview. :D :rolleyes:

I keep checking the status page constantly. I figure once I've given up completely, THAT'S when it will show I have an interview. :D

Raina

4. RainaNoelle

RainaNoelle Member

Woo...hey...when did I become a senior member? :p

R.

5. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Interviewed two years ago, accepted, picked UC over other schools and made the right choice! I love it here, and if you do a search for Cincinnati on the forums (the allo one too), you'll find a few threads where I discuss UC in detail.

Bottom line: Very high student satisfaction rate, excellent program, and amazing resources!

6. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member

I just interviewed there Tuesday! The school is great. They've just put the finishing touches on some new high-tech teaching facilities. The students are really nice too, and (from what I saw on the tour) the rest of the facility is great. The curriculum is more traditional, though. One thing I will say, the campus is not in the greatest part of town. Kinda like where USC is LA (for those of you who know what I'm talking about.). So now I patiently wait by the mailbox.

7. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    No, the neighborhood is not the greatest, but its looks are deceiving. Clifton is not all too bad around the university, but it gets progressively worse as you move away, i.e. Avondale, Corryville, and others, but Mt. Adams is close and is awesome! Anyone who goes here will love it!

8. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The neighborhood is not great, but it's really not an issue for me. The medical campus is really like a big island, partially surrounded by a not so nice neighborhood. But on the actual medical campus, I've never felt unsafe.

Many students live in Clifton, which is right around the corner, and love it. There's even a few luxury apt complexes across the street in Corryville that are nice (and full of residents and med students). Many of us (myself included) live in Hyde Park, which is 10 minutes away, beautifull, full of young people, and has a nice supply of bars and restaurants. There are plenty of places to live that are very nice, and only a short drive (or walk) from school.

9. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
  10. westsidespartan

westsidespartan Senior Member

Medical Student
    I interviewed the same day as monkeyrunner. It was very impressive, and I can't believe how friendly and relaxed it was. This was my first interview, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it looks like I'd get a great education there. The facility is huge, but I agree, the surrounding neighborhood looks quite ugly. Downtown Cincy is nice though, lots of entertainment, especially if you're a sports nut (which I am). It might be worth noting it's a conservative school in a very conservative city. I'd be absolutely thrilled to go there and am anxiously awaiting...

11. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member

westsidespartan-
    I know Cincinnati is a conservative city (but I live in Columbus so I'm used to that) but I'm curious what is is that makes you say it is a conservative school? What are you basing this on? Just curious...

12. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician

Attending Physician

13. westsidespartan

westsidespartan Senior Member

Medical Student

14. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I'm not applying to Cincy med, but I grew up in Cincy and having UC teachers for various programs. I also grew up in the center of conservatives - Indian Hill. I think what they mean by UC being conservative...is sometimes decisions may not be based solely on merit, but upon politics - for some reason, someone wants this and that, so it gets implemented rather than judging off what's best. I don't mean to say that this will apply to admissions because it probably won't, but it's their attitude and approach to adopting policies, to training people with a certain kind of mindset. It's really difficult to put into words because it's not tangible, but it's one of the reasons I don't like UC (besides the fact that it's too close to home). It'd be stifling...a lot of my interactions occurred with the music department, where this conservatism was very evident. Compare it to a liberal college. It definitely doesn't promote free thought, but want adherence to their set ways.

15. quaileggs

quaileggs Senior Member

WSUReds here you go:
    3.6 33O
    (Also accepted at OSU and UVM)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
  18. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Need more stats for Cincy!

19. mongoose

mongoose Banned
    Banned

I interview there tomorrow! I am going to refrain from posting my stats, though. The last time I posted my stats in a topic related to Cincinnati and interviewing it seemed to dash people's confidence a little (and not 'cause my numbers are great, mind you). It also led to me being insulted. Would like any info on Cincinnati, though.

20. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member

wsureds, i got an interview there in late january. my numbers are lower than yours.

21. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician

Attending Physician

22. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
  23. Resident Alien

I interviewed there yesterday. Very good school, it'd be hard for an applicant to choose between Cincy and the other ohio schools. They got lots of new stuff which they had no trouble showing off, and which is exactly what i liked. Good luck to everyone.

24. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Did they say anything about their class being filled yet or how long it would take for them to let you know your status?

25. Resident Alien

Mrs Fooks didn't say annything about the class being filled...on a side-note, AMCAS requires that med schools have enough seats filled for the class by MArch 15th.
    She said we'd know in 4 or 5 weeks, because they are behind a month or so this year.

26. luckyduck

luckyduck Member

Medical Student
    WSU reds,
    I have an interview at UC on January 8th. I live fairly close to Cincy and can say that the surrounding counties and areas are nice and have a lot to offer. Parts of Cincy are not as safe, but for the most part it is a nice place to live. UC is well known and its medical center is well-respected. I know a few MD students an they seem to love the school. UC-Med has lots to offer and so does Cincinnati, especially in the area of pediatrics. Children's Hospital is well known.
    Also - Be sure to check the status check, as you may see you *acceptance* on there before you receive a letter. Let me know if you have any questions about the city or tips regarding the interview. I have heard the ethics questions are quite strenuous!!!

27. Resident Alien

Its nice you brought that up luckyduck, because Mrs Fooks also encouraged us to keep an eye on the status check :)
    Regarding the interview, I wasn't quizzed on a single ethical scenario. Good luck maybe? :)

28. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Lucky duck, I am from Cincinnati. I live about 15 minutes away from the school.

29. luckyduck

luckyduck Member

Medical Student
    WSU,
    Oh! Where are you from near Cincy? I live up in Butler County.

Resident Alien and others,
    I have heard that there are a lot of ethical questions, so maybe you are the lucky one! I am soooo nervous about those types of questions. My interview at OU-COM included an interviewer who wanted to play the devil's advocate with me regarding abortion and stem cell research. He questioned me over and over and then lectured after that. That experience has made me nervous regarding ethical questions! :eek: :D :D Did ayone else have that type of experience at other Ohio schools, especially UC? Thanks for your help.

30. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I grew up on the east side of Cincinnati, Anderson TWP. My parents still live there and thats where I am at over break.

31. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
  32. charleb32

charleb32 Member

Can I just state that any school that is in a city is not going to be far from a bad part of town, so lets not act like it is just Cin. That's life, and if you can't handle that go to a college town, like Ann Arbor.

33. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I think everyone knows that fact, no point restating it.

34. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Since you're trying to keep this tread active, I thought I would add another quick plug for my beloved school. I just finished our year two brain and behavior(our neurology course), and it was amazing! I learned so much. The course director for year 1 and 2 B&B is Dr. Bruce Giffin, and he is the best! He is completely dedicated to making the courses the best they can be, based on student feedback. The courses are compact, but high yield. And always interesting. He is just one of the many reasons that UC is a great school. I am continually impressed, and assured that when I had several med schools to choose from, I chose.... wisely.

35. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Mango, where else did you get accepted and can you tell me some more about UC?

36. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Reds, I responded to your private message!

37. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks, I appreciated it.