Cincy Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ESPNdeportes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted this in the pre allo forum and didn't get any responses, so I was wondering if it would help if I posted it here......

Anyways, I got into Cincy pretty early on and have pretty recently made the decision (90% sure) that Cincy is where I'll end up. I really like the clinical exposure at Cincy, and one of the things that has stuck in my mind was the clinical skills lab with the awesome nurse who runs it. She had red hair and was awesome! So nice and enthusiastic to the students. She made my day!

Unfortunately, it was my first interview/tour day and I wasn't as Savvy back then (early october, LOL) as to what kind of questions I should ask . Anyways, if anyone here is a student there or plans on going, and can answer a few of my questions, I would appreciate it.

-First off, the construction. How bad is it going to be? If I remember correctly, they are redoing the library, but someone told me it was the whole medical building......Do you think it will interfere with study space? Not that big a deal, my undergrad just had a huge bit of construction and it wasn't too bad....

- A few computer questions. Is the entire medical building wireless, or just parts? I'm a Mac user- will this cause a problem? Are you forced to use windows for anything ?

- Are there any programs they offer to help students study for the USMLE exams?

-Any reccomendations on good neighborhoods to live in? I plan on going to look in Cincy over break. Looking for a fairly affordable neighborhood that would be reasonably safe. I'll be living with my fiance, and our price range would be something like 500-600 a month.

- Finally, if you go to Cincy, do you like it? Any thoughts about the school in general? I asked this question, but its always good to hear responses.

Thanks so much and hope everyone has a good holiday season! PM me if you'd like!

Members don't see this ad.

ESPN,

i'm currently a second year at a cincy and to answer one of your questions, i'm enjoying myself there (if only i didn't have to study...). my classmates are great, they are truly what makes the school for me. i'm glad i chose uc.

construction: they are going to be remodeling the library and fixing the infrastructure of the MSB in addition to building a new structure adjacent to the MSB. so if you're one for studying in the library, that option won't be available. they've "added" additional study space to make up for it, i.e., they're reserving half of the cafeteria eating space for medstudents 23 hours a day (except for the lunch hour) and turning a couple of atriums in other buildings on campus into study spaces. i'm going to miss the little e-300 conference rooms terribly, but i think i'll manage.

wireless: i have a laptop and can get a wireless signal only in certain areas of the MSB. with the construction beginning, they've told the students that they will be adding additional wireless access points to our new study spaces. i don't know about the mac/windows thing. sorry.

USMLE: i think they have a few programs available but most of the third years i know studied on their own.

good neighborhoods: i'm partial to the clifton gaslight area cuz i live there (other areas of clifton are not so great), many students (i'd say up to half) live in hyde park. clifton is the neighborhood where the school is, hyde park is a ten minute drive away. both can be $$. if you live in clifton, you can walk/bike to school and save money on parking ($100-200 per quarter).

hope this helps you. if i can answer any more ?'s you can pm me.

hope to see you at uc next year.

I'm a first year at UC and I love it (Hi Monique).

I'll add a couple things to what Monique said about wireless. You can get wireless access in the CVC, a building attached to the MSB. There are also great conference rooms throughout the building that are great for studying (just have to look for them) and the microanatomy labs are also a popular place to study....also wireless available.

I live basically across the street from the med school in Coryville. I've had no problems and rent is reasonable. I know several people live in Piedmont Mews (right in front of the hospital) and across the street at Bellvue Gardens....these tend to be a bit pricier (may 600 range) but are very convenient.

Feel free to PM me with questions as well.

Stephanie

Members don't see this ad :)
There were a few review sessions for Step 1, but other than that, I don't think there's any "programs" offered. People generally study on their own... there's SO many resources out there.

Out of curiosity, what programs do other schools have?

Thanks for the helpful responses!. Sounds like you guys (or gals, hehe) really like it there, which is encouraging. I'm also glad to read it is relatively laid back, because I'm definitely not into the cuthroat/competition thing.

The construction doesn't sound so bad after all =)

One more quick question about the wireless internet. Is the lecture hall area wireless (inside or right around). So, if I brought my computer would I be able to quickly check my e-mail in between classes, or whatever?