Cingular 8525 or Dell Axim X51 + current cell phone?

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by Jzan, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Jzan

Jzan New Member
    5+ Year Member

Im planning on getting a PDA for rotations and Im confused about what I should do.

I love the fact that the cingular 8525 is a pda/phone. I dont really like the idea of carrying around a phone AND a pda. The only problem is I heard some hospitals make you turn off your phones because the frequency waves can supposedly effect medical equipment. If that is the case, whenever I want to use a medical program, I would have to turn the device back on and then turn it off again and that will get pretty annoying. Plus the 8525 has wifi and it would be nice to have internet access when available, even away from the hospital. I can get the phone for $300 with a contract extension.

The other choice is to get the Dell Axim X51. Its a windows based PDA and I can get it for around $200. It has wifi but I doubt I would use it anywhere because I wouldnt carry it around with me outside of the hospital and I would just use my current cell phone that doesnt have wifi.

So what do you guys think? Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    for some reason i think there was a study that just came out that proved cell phones dont interfere with telemetry. regardless, i just got the 8525 and love it my two year Treo contract was up and i was deciding to go with this or the Treo 750. I think either is fine, but i love this phone

Just buy it through amazon

4. Jzan

Jzan New Member
    5+ Year Member

so do you just leave your phone on silent and let it receive calls? or do you turn your phone offline and just use the pda?

also, i dont want to get it off of amazon because even tho its $175, they require you to sign up for a $40 a month pda data plan which i dont need.

thanks for the info.

5. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you dont want the data plan?

i cant fathom not having it, but i use it incessantly

im just saying im not worried about having it on, whether its on silent or not...it isnt like im gonna bust it out during rounds to 'take a call'

;)

6. Jzan

Jzan New Member
    5+ Year Member

nah dont really need the data plan. i dont really need to go online or check my email that much but i figure if i have wifi, i can do those things when available.

so ur saying having the phone on silent is all good then right?

7. BrainDoctor

5+ Year Member

You needn't worry about interfierence since the 8525 has options to turn on only the phone portion, only the WiFi portion, Bluetooth, etc or a combination of above. That would allow you to run Epocrates or whatever without activating the cellular portion if needbe.

I have the 8525, and I'm 90% satisfied with it. My complaints are the reception, it drops calls where other Cingular phones do not, and the ability to catch a WiFi signal isn't so hot. You have to be a lot closer to a base station than with a traditional computer, or even other handhelds.

Also, you may have some problems if you don't sign up for the data package since the thing likes to connect to the internet whenever it pleases. You'll probably be shocked when you pass your first billing cycle where you get slammed with some crazy per kilobyte charges from random times the device connects to Cingular. The per kilobyte rates they charge are steep.

But overall, its 90% perfect. Just be sure to pick up a MicroSD card since after loading 2-3 heavy duty programs (epocrates, merck medicus, etc) the memory is almost maxed out.

8. Jzan

Jzan New Member
    5+ Year Member

9. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I'm in a similar boat...though with Verizon (HERE is my thread....).

Just a note about the Axim x51. It is actually the last one they will produce, but they will continue to support it until 2009. Personally I'm sticking with mine (x50v actually) because I LOVE IT. I surf wireless on the LAN, manage my schedule, watch movies, do e-mail, etc. I bought mine a couple years ago ($450ish.....before my coupons, GCs, etc) I think you can get them in the $200-$250 range now.

For all Axim information...go here: http://www.aximsite.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=109

I've learned SO MUCH from that forum over the years. If you can track down an x51, it is a great value for what you get (across the board better than anything out there....624mhz, ram, battery, etc)

-t

10. tscottturner

tscottturner Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone have experience or an opinion on the Cingular 8125? Any idea how it compares to the 8525?

11. peacefuljourney

peacefuljourney New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi.

Quick question. So, if I don't want a phone included with the pda (I like to keep the phone separate), then what do you suggest?

Thx. S-

12. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  13. tscottturner

tscottturner Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually if you search you can find the Palm LifeDrive's for a similar price to the T/X. The LifeDrive has a 4GB hard drive and a faster processor than the T/X, all the other specs are pretty much the same (including battery life).

14. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    life drive is crap and has died on way too many people i know. hard drive means internal moving parts on something that frequently gets dropped, bumped, jostled. stick with the T/X, you won't miss much from the LD.

15. tscottturner

tscottturner Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Moving parts do suck, but if you are a little adventurous, there are ways around it -->http://howto.wikia.com/wiki/Howto_replace_microdrive_with_compactflash_in_LifeDrive

No, it's not for everyone, but it does improve performance (i.e. battery life)

16. 16846

16846 Guest

As far as the Axim is concerned, it has been axed by Dell, and I never suggest buying anything from a product line that has been discontinued.

17. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    and I don't suggest doing anything to a product that's a piece of crap to begin with that would possibly void the manufacturer warrantee.

although that write up was pretty cool tscott

18. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have the 8125 and it is perfect for me. If you get the headphone adaptor, and a miniSD upgrade, you can use it as your MP3 player as well. The PDA function is phenomenal and the phone is easy to use. As for concerns with turning off the phone next to sensitive equipment, you can simply turn on the "flight mode" (idk where it is in the 8525)- but to find it in the 8125 u just simply click on the icon that shows your bar signal- and have the option of turning on flight mode there, leaving the functionality of the PDA without the wifi, bluetooth, cell phone signal, etc..