• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Cis/Trans in Newman projections

TexasOMFS

5+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2009
  1. Dental Student
    Hmm typically Newman projections are used for looking down a C-C bond, usually of a n-alkane. Cis/Trans designation is for alkenes or possibly cycloalkanes. You wouldn't ever have to designate Cis or Trans for a cycloalkane based on the Newman projections. Typically, the projections are just used to map relative stabilities of different conformations of the molecule based on steric and eclipsing interactions.

About the Ads

rippinitez

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Aug 20, 2007
    1. Pre-Dental
      I obviously can't post the actual problem from the book. But here is an example I made up that is also "trans".

Also, can you tell from this example whether the H and Br are anti?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
        Picture 1.png
        12.4 KB · Views: 86

darkwalk

5+ Year Member
      Aug 9, 2009
      MD
      1. Pre-Dental
        This one is tricky. I don't think you'll get something like this in the DAT, but doesn't hurt to know.

Using the priority rules:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahn_Ingold_Prelog_priority_rules

The carbon closest to the viewer is R.
        1 is bonded to Br, so that takes priority
        2 is bonded to 2 real carbons and 1 ghost carbon, taking priority away from 3 which is bonded to 2 carbons and 1 H.

The carbon away from the viewer is R.
        The first atom attached are C,C,C,H, so we must look at the atoms attached to them
        1 is attached to Br, so that must take priority regardless of the double bond in 2
        2 takes priority compared to 3 because it has double bond, therefore, replace with "ghost" atoms

Attachments

• 1.PNG
          1.PNG
          11.4 KB · Views: 59
        • 2.PNG
          2.PNG
          11.4 KB · Views: 59

darkwalk

5+ Year Member
        Aug 9, 2009
        MD
        1. Pre-Dental
          The proton being attacked must be anti with Br.

Since you have two phenyl group, I assume they must be anti with each other due to strain. (I'm not 100% positive about this)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauche_effect

If they are anti, Br and H are not, so E2 cannot take place.

However, if enough energy exists to Gauche the structure, then E2 can take place.

Anyone want to chime in?

I think this question is great for studying, but I don't think you will encounter such difficult question.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.