1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

CITA in Jackson, Mississippi

Discussion in 'NBDE Exams & Licensure Exams' started by aaru, May 31, 2008.

1. aaru

aaru Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I will be moving to NC in July and to practice there, I need to take the CITA exam. However, since I couldn't be in NC in June, I will be taking the CITA in Mississippi in August and am not sure how to screen the patients.

Questions:
    1. How difficult is the exam ?
    a. How do I go about finding patients in a state where I don't live nor have any contacts.
    b. Is there any service to find patients for CITA in Mississippi ?
    3. How do we go about finding dental assistants ?

If any one has a clue how to go about this, please please reply to me or to this thread. I would really appreciate it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Supernova2008

Supernova2008 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I don't know about finding patients in Mississippi b/c I flew my patients in from Florida, and I don't know about dental assistants b/c I took mine without an assistant...What I can tell you is that the difficulty in taking the CITA exam is in the amount of time that you have to complete the restorative procedures (4 and 1/2 hours to complete a Class II Amalgam and a Class III Composite with 4 different trips to the grading station being inclusive in those 4 and 1/2 hours). If you can get through that, the rest of the exam is no harder than any other licensure exam. The best part about your situation is that you are taking the exam at the University of Mississippi--a school which only has 30 dental students per class. You are also taking the exam at a time when the majority of their senior dental students are not taking the exam--most of them usually take it in January. When I took the CITA Exam in Mississippi in April, there were only 8 students taking the exam with me!! (and around 5-6 of them were re-taking sections that they had previously failed). B/c there were so few of us, each trip to the grading station took about 5-10 minutes max. This was a HUGE advantage, b/c I hear that the patient grading times in North Carolina in April were between 20-40 minutes b/c of long lines (when you multiply that by 4 trips...well, you can do the math!). Just something you should consider...Good luck

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    :thumbup: for an informative post!

5. aaru

aaru Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Supernova, thanks for the excellent post. Appreciate your inputs.

However, I'm in a deep hole wrt patients at this point. Will be moving from CA to NC and will be taking the exam in Mississippi. I won't have access to patients in NC since I'm not licensed there yet. Any suggestions on what I can do to find patients in Mississippi ? I don't mind paying them if required.

6. verticalbite

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    try calling a local dentist.

duh!

7. umfsupenn

Dental Student
    I applied to take the CITA in March in Jackson and they declined my application due to seating priority. My only option is to try to get into the May CITA which is after I graduate (when I will still have low seating priority). Will this hurt me? I'm applying to a GPR, but I may not have my scores on time. I don't really have a plan B. Do you have any advice? Thanks

8. DentStudent2010

bummer

#7 DentStudent2010, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. umfsupenn

Dental Student
    All of the deadlines have passed for other exams (nerbs, etc). I can't take another. I think May is my only option, but I'm trying to figure out HOW it will affect me? As far as I know, none of the board agencies accept late applications.

10. omaralt

omaralt Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    GPR's/AEGD's dont care about state licensure. you'll get a residency license. you'll be fine