Jul 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone, I had a question regarding citing one's involvement with poster presentations.

In my research lab, I contributed a lot of data that is being used and presented in several national research conferences (NSF, Pavlovian, Neuroscience). Although I will not be PERSONALLY presenting the data, my name WILL be listed on the poster and lecture seminar. Is it distasteful for me to list these posters as part of my research experience in my application? Or should I just mention the poster presentations that I personally gave?

Thanks!

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
Well, at least in my lab, if your name was on a poster, you put in significant work toward the project AND the poster (i.e., even if only I, as 1st author, actually presented a poster at a nat'l conference, I would still bring in the other authors for helping write and design the poster). As a result, sure, they could certainly claim partial credit for the work. In other words, as long as you're not just freeloading here, I see no issue w it.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
If you are an author on the poster, it's fine to list it under Posters/Presentations on AMCAS even if you weren't personally present when it was made public. Just be sure to give credit to whoever stood next to the poster at the conference. And cite the poster with your name in the correct order among the other authors.

OP
chiapet874
Jul 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, at least in my lab, if your name was on a poster, you put in significant work toward the project AND the poster (i.e., even if only I, as 1st author, actually presented a poster at a nat'l conference, I would still bring in the other authors for helping write and design the poster). As a result, sure, they could certainly claim partial credit for the work. In other words, as long as you're not just freeloading here, I see no issue w it.
In my situation, I built the experimental protocol from scratch, troubleshooted it, and obtained all the data. Should I specifically delineate my contributions to the poster when I list it on my AMCA application?

I just don't want it to seem like I'm grasping at straws- I feel that I did make a significant contribution to the posters.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
In my situation, I built the experimental protocol from scratch, troubleshooted it, and obtained all the data. Should I specifically delineate my contributions to the poster when I list it on my AMCA application?
Generally one would list these contributions in a Research slot, and then refer to it in the Poster listing so as not to state the same information twice.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
Generally one would list these contributions in a Research slot, and then refer to it in the Poster listing so as not to state the same information twice.
This is how my CV looks. It works nicely this way. I'd definitely do the same thing on an app. The research listing entry is also where you'd list such things as your supervisor's name, lab, etc.

OP
chiapet874
Jul 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
This is how my CV looks. It works nicely this way. I'd definitely do the same thing on an app. The research listing entry is also where you'd list such things as your supervisor's name, lab, etc.
That sounds like good advice- thanks!

How would you go about referring back to the research listing entry in the poster/presentation box?