Civil Infraction a misdemeanor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabDoc33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got into an argument with a friend over this and wanted to see if anyone with past experience has any input. Where I am from underage drinking citation is a civil infraction (as in not criminal misdemeanor).

Would this be classified as a misdemeanor in which you have to tell AMCAS/AACOMAS about? You cant expunge civil infractions, but can expunge criminal as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea this may be something to ask AMCAS and a lawyer, but thanks for the input guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you post an update if you hear anything from AMCAS or an attorney?

I rcvd an infraction for open container (related to holding a beer at a tailgate event NOT while driving) 6 years ago. It wasn't a misdemeanor, nor was I arrested. I simply received a ticket and had to pay a fine, just like a traffic ticket. I'm guessing I wouldn't have to disclose since they usually only ask about misdemeanor/felony convictions and potentially arrests...

I am not applying this cycle so I wont be contacting either as of right now, but from what I can tell they only care about CRIMINAL MISDEMEANOR, you have the literal exact same story as myself. I know that those DO NOT SHOW UP on a background search since I have had done many a background checks done through employers for my hospital jobs. I have copies of all the background searches and they show nothing, I think we may be ok my friend.

If they ask about it on the secondary, well, that is an entirely different ball game.