Civilian Applying to Navy Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ponger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been interested in the Navy but never applied for the HPSP or HSCP programs. For residency I was wondering if it would be possible to apply to the GME board for a Navy residency (its looking like I'll apply to ENT) but if I get turned down continue to pursue the civilian match?

I'm fully prepared to do a navy residency (and do active duty afterwards) should I get my specialty of choice but if not I'd rather stay civilian to pursue residency. Is this possible?

Members don't see this ad.

So basically it sounds like you want to try and double dip: well, I would join the military, but only if I get my specialty of choice, and if not, well then screw it, I'll take my chance in the civilian match.

If you could do that I think pretty much every person in the country would try to do that.

The Navy currently has a few slots for civilian residents; however, this is mostly in FP/IM. For the resident match in ENT you would not be competitive coming in as a civilian applicant. The Navy only has like 2-4 (too lazy to look it up) ENT slots a year anyway, and it always "requires" a GMO tour.

If you wanted to pursue Navy ENT the only way I could really see someone being competitive is coming in after internship to be a GMO and then applying, even then it would be tough.

I've always been interested in the Navy but never applied for the HPSP or HSCP programs. For residency I was wondering if it would be possible to apply to the GME board for a Navy residency (its looking like I'll apply to ENT) but if I get turned down continue to pursue the civilian match?

I'm fully prepared to do a navy residency (and do active duty afterwards) should I get my specialty of choice but if not I'd rather stay civilian to pursue residency. Is this possible?

Very Possible. There is a program in the Navy for just that scenario.

Members don't see this ad :)

Out of curiosity, what program allows you to do this? It was my understanding that one couldn't apply to a military residency straight out of med school if one wasn't in USUHS, HPSP, or HSCP.

Out of curiosity, what program allows you to do this? It was my understanding that one couldn't apply to a military residency straight out of med school if one wasn't in USUHS, HPSP, or HSCP.

As far as I know they just apply to the JSGME and can stay civilian. Due to the lack of recruiting a handful of years ago a few residencies (only FP and IM that I'm aware of) started looking at ways to keep their programs viable since there wouldn't be enough military interns to go around.

Their solution was to take a few civilians.

As far as I know they just apply to the JSGME and can stay civilian. Due to the lack of recruiting a handful of years ago a few residencies (only FP and IM that I'm aware of) started looking at ways to keep their programs viable since there wouldn't be enough military interns to go around.

Their solution was to take a few civilians.

Backrow is mostly correct. During 2009-2011 was the graduation of the under recruited classes and there were holes to fill. To close the gap civilian students were allowed to apply for intern positions. If they were offered a position they wanted, they could join the Navy and complete internship. They were given the same guarantees for PGY2 positions as everyone else (none) and would likely have to complete a 2 year GMO tour to finish the minimum service obligation of 3 years. They were eligible to apply for GME 2 just like everyone else.

Since this program started we have accepted 11 civilians to our programs and 9 have entered service. If they complete their application, they could sign up for HPSP for the last half of 4th year, take the bonus and have a 4 year MSO. I don't recall how many actually finished that application.

Backrow is mostly correct. During 2009-2011 was the graduation of the under recruited classes and there were holes to fill. To close the gap civilian students were allowed to apply for intern positions. If they were offered a position they wanted, they could join the Navy and complete internship. They were given the same guarantees for PGY2 positions as everyone else (none) and would likely have to complete a 2 year GMO tour to finish the minimum service obligation of 3 years. They were eligible to apply for GME 2 just like everyone else.

Since this program started we have accepted 11 civilians to our programs and 9 have entered service. If they complete their application, they could sign up for HPSP for the last half of 4th year, take the bonus and have a 4 year MSO. I don't recall how many actually finished that application.

So ... they come in with (essentially) an HPSP obligation, having missed out on 3.5/4 years of HPSP benefits? That seems ... odd. What am I missing?

So ... they come in with (essentially) an HPSP obligation, having missed out on 3.5/4 years of HPSP benefits? That seems ... odd. What am I missing?

Nothing. It is odd. Its analogous to someone deciding to go to OCS after college having chosen to forgo ROTC.

The benefit would be that if you do not get the internship you want, you can walk away. If you sign up at the beginning of med school, you have to take what you get.

Not saying it is a great benefit, but it is a small one.

Nothing. It is odd. Its analogous to someone deciding to go to OCS after college having chosen to forgo ROTC.

Not to get too far off topic, but many take this route in order to be guaranteed an aviation slot (or potentially couldn't find a job after college.)

Why someone would do that to become a SWO though is beyond me:eek:

Sorry to bump an old post but I just thought about this thread today. What is the program for applying as a civilian to navy internships?

Sorry to bump an old post but I just thought about this thread today. What is the program for applying as a civilian to navy internships?

We referred to it as the half year HPSP. The program works like this: You apply for both the HPSP and GME at the same time. You need to have everything ready for commissioning if you are accepted into the GME program of your choice. So, you have to do the physical, the background check, and have your name submitted on the scroll. The professional recommendation is from the GME selection board. If they want you, you're in. While you are working with the recruiter, you would go through the standard GME application process. Interview and perhaps do an audition rotation with the program of choice. When the GME selection board meets, you are considered with all of the other HPSP/USUHS/HSCP students for the internship of choice. If all were to go well and you were selected for the program you wanted, you would be enrolled in HPSP for the final semester of school. The Navy would pay for that last semester, give you the stipend, and other books etc. You could also elect to take the $20K signing bonus. If you don't get what you want, you walk away and owe nothing. The contract would not be signed until you were happy with what you got.

What you get: 1) The internship of you choice (assuming you are selected). This is only a selection for internship. You would have to apply for GME-2 like everyone else (unless they offer a continuous contract which only applies to FP and Psych at present). This would entail the risk of being a GMO. Now I will say that ENT has been pushing hard for straight through training. The ENT RRC has been griping. That is a trend not a guarantee.
So if you take the deal, know GMO time is a very real possibility.
2) Last semester of tuition paid
3) 5 months of stipend
4) $20K signing bonus

What you owe: Minimum service obligation of 3 years (4 if you take the $20K) of which internship counts. If you go straight on to GME2+, you would owe year for year and the MSO would be moot.

How would someone get in contact with one of these recruiters?

How would someone get in contact with one of these recruiters?

Any medical programs recruiter can assist you. If you go to the Navy recruiting command website, there is a spot to have a recruiter contact you.

We referred to it as the half year HPSP. The program works like this: You apply for both the HPSP and GME at the same time. You need to have everything ready for commissioning if you are accepted into the GME program of your choice. So, you have to do the physical, the background check, and have your name submitted on the scroll. The professional recommendation is from the GME selection board. If they want you, you're in. While you are working with the recruiter, you would go through the standard GME application process. Interview and perhaps do an audition rotation with the program of choice. When the GME selection board meets, you are considered with all of the other HPSP/USUHS/HSCP students for the internship of choice. If all were to go well and you were selected for the program you wanted, you would be enrolled in HPSP for the final semester of school. The Navy would pay for that last semester, give you the stipend, and other books etc. You could also elect to take the $20K signing bonus. If you don't get what you want, you walk away and owe nothing. The contract would not be signed until you were happy with what you got.

What you get: 1) The internship of you choice (assuming you are selected). This is only a selection for internship. You would have to apply for GME-2 like everyone else (unless they offer a continuous contract which only applies to FP and Psych at present). This would entail the risk of being a GMO. Now I will say that ENT has been pushing hard for straight through training. The ENT RRC has been griping. That is a trend not a guarantee.
So if you take the deal, know GMO time is a very real possibility.
2) Last semester of tuition paid
3) 5 months of stipend
4) $20K signing bonus

What you owe: Minimum service obligation of 3 years (4 if you take the $20K) of which internship counts. If you go straight on to GME2+, you would owe year for year and the MSO would be moot.

Here is another option: my intern year we had two civilians fulfill their prelim year in IM before heading on to do civilian radiology. So technically, if you wanted to do an internship at a Navy hospital and not be "military" you could do this. Not sure if that will continue now that the recruiting drought is over.

Here is another option: my intern year we had two civilians fulfill their prelim year in IM before heading on to do civilian radiology. So technically, if you wanted to do an internship at a Navy hospital and not be "military" you could do this. Not sure if that will continue now that the recruiting drought is over.

NMC San Diego Medicine Department does/did have a partnership with UCSD and had some intern sharing. This was started in 2009 when we had the abysmally small graduating class.