Civilian contract jobs in Iraq and Afg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuralMd1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all.

I am family doc considering another residency in a couple years. In order to pay off bills and save some money I've been looking at civilian contract jobs in Iraq and Afghanistan for a year or two. The ~brochure states working on U.S. military bases being responsible for caring for the civilian contractors employed in the area as well as assisting PRN with trauma/SHTF situations.

Has anyone here been exposed to these kind of US civilian docs? Locations? Impressions? Words of advice? Any input is appreciated. Thank you all for your service.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings all.

I am family doc considering another residency in a couple years. In order to pay off bills and save some money I've been looking at civilian contract jobs in Iraq and Afghanistan for a year or two. The ~brochure states working on U.S. military bases being responsible for caring for the civilian contractors employed in the area as well as assisting PRN with trauma/SHTF situations.

Has anyone here been exposed to these kind of US civilian docs? Locations? Impressions? Words of advice? Any input is appreciated. Thank you all for your service.

Don't know about any actual docs. On my FOB, we have a bunch of contractors that are cared for by medics/paramedics who consult with a PA at the main base (Camp Leatherneck). If they are sicker than what a medic can take care of, they come to my Aid Station.

If you did take such a position, you would see some sick call. Many of your patients would be retired military and have chronic conditions despite newer requirements for prescreening those out. You would do a lot of phone triage with your medics in the smaller camps and arrange transport to other countries for your really sick patients.

Greetings all.

My apologies for bringing a thread back from the dead. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see the insights of those with prior or no military experience of their times as a civilian contractor in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Members don't see this ad :)
My apologies for bringing a thread back from the dead. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see the insights of those with prior or no military experience of their times as a civilian contractor in Iraq or Afghanistan.
You looking for some hurt my friend? Watching the news? If they're beheading civilian reporters now, civilian doctors wont be too far behind, especially American ones. Stay outta this mess. Your talents are better utilized elsewhere.

I've done some physicals for "operators" going to Afghanistan. All of them were ex rangers/SF and had no chronic medical conditions they would admit to. They still used the SF 88/93 but were no longer in the military.