Army Civilian Deferment...whats the payback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanstepm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was speaking with a few fellow Army MS-3s and MS-4s and the subject of civilian deferment came up. I was under the understanding that civilian deferment was simply the same 1 for 1 as if you did a military residency, but another student said it was 1.5 for 1. Could someone please clarify the implications of doing a civilian deferment residency?Is there any extra time added to your contract or anything like that? Thanks for all your help

Members don't see this ad.

so the extra time incurred concept is not true then? It would not add time to my current commitment to pursue a deferment? Just double checking

Members don't see this ad :)
Need to make sure you understand the terminology. Funded outservice training is called FTOS. That incurs obligaton (and counts as years of service and you get paid as an AD bubba). Deferment is when you train outside the military (no pay, no years of service) and does not incur obligation. Sometimes one or the other or both or neither are available for a given specialty.

Last edited:
Roger. Ill be sure to pass this along to fellow students as they seem to have misunderstood as well. Thank you to both Gastrapathy and Doctor Bob very much for the clarification. Hope both of you and your families have a wonderful holiday and a happy new year!