civilian deferment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benjiboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay i know that this subject has come up before, but i'm interested in rehashing it a little bit.

my situation is the following: i'm a 3rd year AF HPSP student planning on applying for internal medicine. until 2 weeks ago i was pretty comfortable with the fact that i would almost certainly be doing a military residency and the IM program at Wilford Hall in San Antonio was my number one choice. then the BRAC recs came out and it looks to me like GME in the Air Force is on the verge of extinction and i really don't want to train in that environment. so now i'm desperately hoping that there is some way to get a deferment and do my medicine training in the civilian world.

so my question is: does anyone have any insight into how deferments are awarded? do the most super qualified applicants get the deferments or are those applicants more likely to be taken for military spots because they are so qualified? or is it the other way around, that the left over crappy applicants that the PD's didn't want, are given deferments.

i know that in my case it probably doesn't matter because medicine deferments are unlikely to begin with. but in the unlikely event that deferments are available, i'm curious as to what kind of thinking is involved in the process.

Members don't see this ad.