Civilian in military residency, any special requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gregoryhouse

Head of the Department of Diagnostic Medicine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I was just wondering if there any special requirements for civilians who do a military residency. I want to stay in my hometown for internship and the only hospital here is an army hospital and I know they have a couple civilian spots. I was just hoping to find out if there is anything I should know before going into this hospital for my internship.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience those slots ended up being quite competitive, so my recommendation would be to make sure you've got good stats already or work to improve your app as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks for the response. My stats should be pretty good for this program and its not really in a desirable location so I'm hoping its not overly competitive.

I was asking more along the lines though of as an intern there will I have to be responsible for any military training or activities even though I'm technically civilian?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. My stats should be pretty good for this program and its not really in a desirable location so I'm hoping its not overly competitive.

I was asking more along the lines though of as an intern there will I have to be responsible for any military training or activities even though I'm technically civilian?

No. There's a combined civ/military program that I rotated through. You will not be required to do "military training" as a civilian. Really, it probably won't have too much of an impact on your life, other than having to come on post to go to work, and being one of the few people without a uniform at morning report.

I start my intern year in a VA civilian position in IM soon. As a civilian you have no military obligations during or after your residency. Positions are only available to U.S. citizens. You are not subject to their physical training requirements, height-weight proportionate limits or frequent drug tests. Chief resident positions are an extra year after residency and only available to military residents. Military residents wear their combat uniforms in the hospital whereas you will be in professional attire. You will be subjected to a full physical exam prior to starting residency. I had to file an accommodation for being partially color blind. Forgot to add that it is very common to receive an offer to work there long term as an attending, especially in an undesirable location.

Last edited:
Hi guys, so I was just wondering if there any special requirements for civilians who do a military residency. I want to stay in my hometown for internship and the only hospital here is an army hospital and I know they have a couple civilian spots. I was just hoping to find out if there is anything I should know before going into this hospital for my internship.

Thanks.

I start my intern year in a VA civilian position in IM soon.

OP, are you applying just for internship or for a full residency?

I used to work at an MTF that had civilian/VA residency spots. To my knowledge, all the spots were for full residencies in IM, Ob/Gyn, etc. I was not aware of prelim or transitional intern slots that were offered to civilians. If you are applying just for a prelim or transitional internship to be followed by a residency elsewhere, I would check to make sure the MTF you have in mind even offers prelim or transitional internships to civilians.

OP, are you applying just for internship or for a full residency?

I used to work at an MTF that had civilian/VA residency spots. To my knowledge, all the spots were for full residencies in IM, Ob/Gyn, etc. I was not aware of prelim or transitional intern slots that were offered to civilians. If you are applying just for a prelim or transitional internship to be followed by a residency elsewhere, I would check to make sure the MTF you have in mind even offers prelim or transitional internships to civilians.

I was planning on applying for a transitional year and you are right, it is strictly for military positions. I'm glad you mentioned that or I probably would have found out too late. I guess I have to start looking at other possibilities. Thank you.