Civilian match question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Navy Physician who has to serve the NAVY until January 09. I really want to do Ophthalmology after my Active Duty Obligation is done. I am concerned about having to wait 6 months after Jan 09 to start my PGY-2 year. Is it possible to star a PGY-2 year in January 09? Can this be done outside the match since I am a Licensed Physician? Any input will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

JA_Perez said:
I am a Navy Physician who has to serve the NAVY until January 09. I really want to do Ophthalmology after my Active Duty Obligation is done. I am concerned about having to wait 6 months after Jan 09 to start my PGY-2 year. Is it possible to star a PGY-2 year in January 09? Can this be done outside the match since I am a Licensed Physician? Any input will be appreciated.

Instead of limiting yourself in such a manner (while your plan might be possible, I doubt most programs would accomodate you), why not just apply for a slot that would start in july of '09?