Civilian Residency after the NAVY...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently paying back my time in the Navy and will apply for residency this year. Are the rules of the match program (ERAS or SF Match) different for licensed physicians vs. MS IV students? Can I get a position outside of the match (I heard this happens)? Or do I have to wait for the match results like everybody else? Any input will be appreciated and please elaborate. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you cash in your GI bill for the civilian residency. Check to make sure you have maxxed it out before you leave.

JA_Perez said:
I am currently paying back my time in the Navy and will apply for residency this year. Are the rules of the match program (ERAS or SF Match) different for licensed physicians vs. MS IV students? Can I get a position outside of the match (I heard this happens)? Or do I have to wait for the match results like everybody else? Any input will be appreciated and please elaborate. :rolleyes:

Yes you can apply outside of the match and depending on what specialty this is very beneficial. I have heard of some specialties which are very small in numbers(derm and rad onc) not taking applicants in this manner so you still may have to apply through the match depending on your goals.

I went anesthesiology and am very happy with the results. I had my choice out of 4 programs which is a nice feeling compared to the normal pathway of being told where you are going.

Ive posted what I did previously in detail so you can look up my posts and go from there. If you have any questions PM me or ask here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard of somebody who applied through regular match and went to X amount of interviews. During one of them, he was offered a position and the option of signing a contract right there. Is this true and possible?

usnavdoc said:
I went anesthesiology and am very happy with the results. I had my choice out of 4 programs which is a nice feeling compared to the normal pathway of being told where you are going.

Ive posted what I did previously in detail so you can look up my posts and go from there. If you have any questions PM me or ask here.

usnavdoc,
Could you hyperlink that info. I couldn't find it. I'm very interested in seeing what you did and how it went. Thanks...