All Branch Topic (ABT) Civilian Residency Application Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbbaZabba85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I had a question about applying for civilian residencies which I couldn't find a clear answer for using Google or the search function. I'm a Navy flight surgeon who's planning on doing a civilian anesthesiology residency after I finish my HPSP commitment in the summer of 2019.

Since I want to keep my residency options as open as possible I thought about applying to both categorical and advanced spots during the upcoming 2017-2018 ERAS cycle. My concern is matching into a categorical spot which is set to start in July 2018. If I'm upfront with the program directors when I apply how likely would I be to get a one year deferment? Would this affect my competitiveness when it comes time for programs to rank applicants? Would it be better to only apply for advanced spots now and categorical in 2018-2019?

Looking into the match rules one year deferments are ultimately granted by the national match program, not by individual PDs (although they can recommend one). I'd also like to apply during this cycle since there is a possibility I may be deployed during the 2018-2019 interview season. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: