civilian residency deferment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DatInterviewDood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do HPSP people get these? Wouldn't the military want to keep the top candidates in the military residency spots? Or are these given out under certain conditions like if a candidate needs to be with a sick spouse/family member?

Members don't see this ad.

How do HPSP people get these? Wouldn't the military want to keep the top candidates in the military residency spots? Or are these given out under certain conditions like if a candidate needs to be with a sick spouse/family member?

usually it's when projected need outpaces the available slots. for instance, if several people are projected to ETS or retire or a facility is expanding, they may need more of a certain specialty. since the lag time is 3 years it's an imperfect science and they're usually chasing their tail-- which is why no one can yell you year to year what the demand/available slots will be. ballpark, yes but that's going to be about it.

in general though yes, I do get the sense they to try to keep their "best" candidates in house. and USUHS must go military if available. sick spouse/family member I don't think they really care about and likely has little impact on the civilian deferment process.

--your friendly neighborhood tried to duck the AD military residency but got snagged anyway caveman

usually it's when projected need outpaces the available slots. for instance, if several people are projected to ETS or retire or a facility is expanding, they may need more of a certain specialty. since the lag time is 3 years it's an imperfect science and they're usually chasing their tail-- which is why no one can yell you year to year what the demand/available slots will be. ballpark, yes but that's going to be about it.

in general though yes, I do get the sense they to try to keep their "best" candidates in house. and USUHS must go military if available. sick spouse/family member I don't think they really care about and likely has little impact on the civilian deferment process.

--your friendly neighborhood tried to duck the AD military residency but got snagged anyway caveman

Just a point of clarification...USUHS grads don't have to go military; however, they are guaranteed a military slot if they want it (not necessarily in their specialty of choice if they aren't competitive). It rarely happens; however, a handful have elected to go civilian. One from the late 2000's did a full civilian deferrred Derm residency. I have heard of others but don't know full details.

In general civilian deferred is a bit of crap shoot as to who gets it. What I have seen is they want to select people for deferment who will actually match in their specialty; however, not all the "superstars" can, or necessarily want to, be deferred. They don't want to defer someone who has weak credentials because they probably won't match leading to other issues (meaning if they don't match there is an issue to put that person somewhere after all the matches are complete). They also tend to like to keep a close watch on folks who may struggle so they can monitor whether they should continue or not aka quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app