All Branch Topic (ABT) Civilian Sponsored Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sisyfus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 4th year just matched civilian sponsored FM. I wanted to couple's match in civilian match so I told my military PD that I want civilian deferred. The results just came out and I was surprised that I got a "sponsored" spot rather than "deferred".

Can some one tell me some thing about civilian sponsored residency so I can start processing this information? For example, do I tell the civilian residencies I'm applying to? How will Active Duty status affect me during residency? Who do I contact for more information? How does it affect my benefits during residency? .... Thank you so much!

UPDATE (3/9/17): Thanks for the responses!
-I did not list Sponsored on my rank list and it was not an ranking option either.
-I called AF Education Office in TX to ask them about Sponsorship related question, and by chance, they were able to "switch" me over to Deferred. This will keep my commitment at 4 years (instead of 7 yrs w/ Sponsored), at which point I will have the option to choose staying in vs. leaving. The Office basically said that they need to fill Sponsored spots before giving out Deferred spots. I guess I lucked out and I'm not about to question that.
-Sponsored spots are free spots for residencies. However, I rather have the Sponsored spot if I'm trying to match Derm or Ophtho rather than FM, if you get what I mean.
-I am waiting for the ACGME match day, which is next Friday. :luck::xf:I'll try to remember to let ya'll know.;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm 4th year just matched civilian sponsored FM. I wanted to couple's match in civilian match so I told my military PD that I want civilian deferred. The results just came out and I was surprised that I got a "sponsored" spot rather than "deferred".

Can some one tell me some thing about civilian sponsored residency so I can start processing this information? For example, do I tell the civilian residencies I'm applying to? How will Active Duty status affect me during residency? Who do I contact for more information? How does it affect my benefits during residency? .... Thank you so much!

My understanding is that you get paid same as you would if you did a military residency, but it adds a year of obligation per year of residency.

EX you'll now owe 7 if you did 4 year HPSP.

I'm not certain though.

whoa they can make you take a civilian sponsored spot? If you owe 4 years thats another +3 years. Did you mark down that you wanted Civilian Sponsored in your rank list? This is a game changer because you are essentially free labor for any program because the military funds your spot (AD pay all 3 years), but you will owe ADDITIONALLY on top of your original obligation. Once you finish residency you're in it for likely 7 years, and at that point you'd have accrued 10 years in active duty service, the make/break point to stay in or get out. But the perk is programs will (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) CREATE a spot for you since they don't lose any money by doing so. tl;dr: programs will bend over backwards to take you, I would call your dream programs and tell them of this recent development.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, you will be a very well paid resident but you will owe 7 years after training. You are free to the residency program so this should really help the couple's match situation. In fact, what I would recommend is that you couples match all your programs and then have your spouse list any remaining programs (so, worst case, he/she matches and you don't). You could then almost certainly find a spot local to her by contacting programs directly via SOAP or after. Many programs have ACGME approved spots for which they don't have funding. If I was you, I'd gamble that way.

If you aren't willing to accept additional obligation, I'm not sure what you can do. Its really unfair for them to place you in this position.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup, you will be a very well paid resident but you will owe 7 years after training. You are free to the residency program so this should really help the couple's match situation. In fact, what I would recommend is that you couples match all your programs and then have your spouse list any remaining programs (so, worst case, he/she matches and you don't). You could then almost certainly find a spot local to her by contacting programs directly via SOAP or after. Many programs have ACGME approved spots for which they don't have funding. If I was you, I'd gamble that way.

If you aren't willing to accept additional obligation, I'm not sure what you can do. Its really unfair for them to place you in this position.

I wouldn't say unfair if that was listed on their ranklist. The HPERB listed civ sponsored as well as deferred.
If you ranked it and ask for civ then you are likely to get it. If you don't want an option you don't list it.
I agree it's nothing but a bargain for the AF in this case, they need FM docs and a 7 year commitment is soon for them.
At this point your only options are likely taking it of going civ for a pgy1 only.
Im not sure if there is another recourse at this poiy, but questions could be directed toward physician education or the FM consultant.

Last edited:

Sysyfus - Let us know how your civilian couples match turns out next week.

Are you Army, AF, or Navy? For Army the match slideshow in previous years does indicate "GME beyond PGY-1 year will always be in military programs or sponsored training (on active duty) in civilian programs.". Somewhere in the 'fine print' participants can essentially be forced into sponsored residencies.