All Branch Topic (ABT) Civilian value of department head experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious: do you guys think that a year or two as a department head in the military has value to the civilian world when I go job hunting? If I don't open my own place I will likely transition to either a private practice HMO (Kaiser) or into academic medicine. I'm trying to decide if the experience is worth the extra work.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious: do you guys think that a year or two as a department head in the military has value to the civilian world when I go job hunting? If I don't open my own place I will likely transition to either a private practice HMO (Kaiser) or into academic medicine. I'm trying to decide if the experience is worth the extra work.

Department Head of what? And doing what? If you've never had any leadership/managerial experience, and if it's actually meaningful work, then it might be worth a go.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It can look nice, depending on where you're going. If your future job includes leadership, then being department head shows that you have some leadership experience, and may have a leg up over a similar new grad. If you decide to do a fellowship, it'll likely help for the same reasons.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
It's useful for another reason - you may find out that you like (or hate) that kind of work. Having some experience with that kind of position will help you decide if you want more of it.

It has value if you decide to use it.

With a couple of exceptions, the days of true private practice are over. You are most likely going to have to be affiliated with a "healthcare system" to some extent or other. Otherwise, the health insurers are going to offer you 50 cents on the dollar. If you are chair of the credentials committee, and on a couple of other committees your job security is much greater. Even for a quasi-independent group, most physicians try to avoid the leadership/administrative work. If you show that you have minimal ability and interest, that can be a definite plus when it comes to hiring.

I also agree it helps to figure out if you like the job before you actually accept a job with a significant leadership component.

The more skills/procedures/ability/experiences you bring to a group the better your chances of getting hired, getting paid more, and keeping a job.

A giant PITA but a tremendous asset for junior docs who are transitioning from the military into civilian positions of virtually any stripe.

My time as a division head was extremely valuable to my development as a physician. My emotional IQ developed by leaps and bounds, I learned how to be a better manager and motivator of people, a better resolver of conflict, and a better advocate for my department and its goals. It's also tremendously valuable from the business and regulatory perspective as worker bee junior physicians generally have little visibility of the business side of the hospital or the mountains of regulatory crap that come with CMS, TJC, CAP, FDA, and the rest of the alphabet soup of regulatory organizations that a hospital has to appease.

But understand that there is real risk in taking the position. I've seen some of my colleagues (who were stand up guys and gals) named in baseless harassment suits from angry civilian employees. I've been involved in appropriately disciplining subordinates who levied whistleblower complaints to regulatory agencies as a form of retaliation. Virtually all dealings with the union will drain measurable time from your lifespan. And remember, the culture of the military is to hang all those who recently touched the hot potato when a scandal breaks--if something goes down in your department and you are disliked for whatever reason by the hospital command, they may decide to hang you whatever your level of involvement in the issue. Remember that the first person to be relieved of command during the Walter Reed Scandal was MG Weightman, who, while the commander of Walter Reed at the time the scandal broke, had been on the job for all of a month and had nothing to do with the decisions that he was relieved for.

There is risk to your physicianship as well. The job really is a timesuck and will take away from clinical duties. It takes a strong and dedicated physician to not take the easy road of abdicating all clinical responsibilities to your colleagues so you can leave on time and have your weekends free. Good chiefs really do arrive earlier and stay later than their colleagues if they want to maintain their clinical skills and pitch in with the departmental workload. Furthermore, if you are a bad chief who ****s on his colleagues, it will come around to bite you in the end. The biggest douche of a chief I ever worked under can't get a civilian job in the city he wants to settle in because all the people he crapped on as chief who have joined the private groups in town won't hire him.

If you choose to do it, have some pride and do it well.