SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

civilians applying to military AEGD

Discussion in 'Military Dentistry' started by misspredent, Jun 3, 2008.

  1. misspredent

    misspredent 7+ Year Member

    Mar 29, 2003
    how does that exactly work out? can civilians apply to military AEGDs even if they don't intend to continue on in the military after their AEGD program is over?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. OffAngleHatchet

    OffAngleHatchet Likes off-angle hatchets 7+ Year Member

    Sep 18, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    IIRC, military AEGD and GPR is limited to military.
  4. Drill Doc

    Drill Doc Cavity Creep 2+ Year Member

    Aug 14, 2007

    They kind of lead you to believe that in the recruitment letters I have received. In fact, the one I have in front of me says that the AF will take non-licensed recent grad DDS's into a GPR or AEGD.

    Not true. You must have a state license and you must sign on the line for (I believe) 4 years. Then maybe you could get into a military GPR/AEGD, but I don't think that counts as a year of your 4 year obligation. I am not sure on this though. Someone must have some more info on this...
    Mil Docs...Any feedback here?
  5. dheav005

    dheav005 keepin' it movin' 7+ Year Member

    May 27, 2005
    i am not aware of any military PGY-1 program or in-service residencies that take non-military personnel. its doesnt make sense either...why would the military pour resources into a first year doc if they are not able to reap the benefits of that additional training in an operational setting? plus, as an AEGD resident, i was paid as a general dentist, bonuses and all. a civilian AEGD does not get paid near that much...
  6. AFDDS

    AFDDS 5+ Year Member

    Jul 23, 2008
    Lackland AFB, TX
    You must join the military in order to attend a military AEGD residency. Contact a recruiter to get the specifics, but some AEGD slots are usually held open for a while to see if any non HPSP students want to join and attend an residency.
  7. coolslugs

    coolslugs Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Jul 9, 2005
    I read that if a civilian applies and is chosen for a military AEGD, he or she would have to serve 3 yrs upon graduation.

    Does anyone know if it's possible to be part of the loan repayment program during those pay back years?
  8. AFDDS

    AFDDS 5+ Year Member

    Jul 23, 2008
    Lackland AFB, TX
    If selected for an AEGD, you would have a minimum payback of 3 years. You must be on active duty for at least 6 months before you can apply for HPLRP. However, it has its own payback and would be served consecutively with your other payback.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  9. krmower

    krmower Dentist 7+ Year Member

    Jul 23, 2008
    In the Army you could apply for the 2 yr AEGD as a civilian (or several of the other specialties also (OMFS, Prosth, etc...). If selected you would have to join the Army and serve the required payback time.

    The 1 yr spot is only for HPSP students.

Share This Page