civilians applying to military AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misspredent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does that exactly work out? can civilians apply to military AEGDs even if they don't intend to continue on in the military after their AEGD program is over?

Members don't see this ad.

IIRC, military AEGD and GPR is limited to military.

how does that exactly work out? can civilians apply to military AEGDs even if they don't intend to continue on in the military after their AEGD program is over?

They kind of lead you to believe that in the recruitment letters I have received. In fact, the one I have in front of me says that the AF will take non-licensed recent grad DDS's into a GPR or AEGD.

Not true. You must have a state license and you must sign on the line for (I believe) 4 years. Then maybe you could get into a military GPR/AEGD, but I don't think that counts as a year of your 4 year obligation. I am not sure on this though. Someone must have some more info on this...
Mil Docs...Any feedback here?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am not aware of any military PGY-1 program or in-service residencies that take non-military personnel. its doesnt make sense either...why would the military pour resources into a first year doc if they are not able to reap the benefits of that additional training in an operational setting? plus, as an AEGD resident, i was paid as a general dentist, bonuses and all. a civilian AEGD does not get paid near that much...

You must join the military in order to attend a military AEGD residency. Contact a recruiter to get the specifics, but some AEGD slots are usually held open for a while to see if any non HPSP students want to join and attend an residency.

You must join the military in order to attend a military AEGD residency. Contact a recruiter to get the specifics, but some AEGD slots are usually held open for a while to see if any non HPSP students want to join and attend an residency.

I read that if a civilian applies and is chosen for a military AEGD, he or she would have to serve 3 yrs upon graduation.

Does anyone know if it's possible to be part of the loan repayment program during those pay back years?

I read that if a civilian applies and is chosen for a military AEGD, he or she would have to serve 3 yrs upon graduation.

Does anyone know if it's possible to be part of the loan repayment program during those pay back years?
If selected for an AEGD, you would have a minimum payback of 3 years. You must be on active duty for at least 6 months before you can apply for HPLRP. However, it has its own payback and would be served consecutively with your other payback.

Last edited:

In the Army you could apply for the 2 yr AEGD as a civilian (or several of the other specialties also (OMFS, Prosth, etc...). If selected you would have to join the Army and serve the required payback time.

The 1 yr spot is only for HPSP students.