Clarification on MSAR 10th percentile guideline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

talooo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering how exactly the MSAR 10th percentile guideline works? My cGPA is ~3.5, sGPA ~3.3 and MCAT 513. I did a search and didn't see an answer for this specific question (sorry if i skipped it!)

There are some schools (unsure if it's against ToS to specifically name school stats from MSAR) where my cGPA is above or at the 10th percentile, but my sGPA falls out of the range. Would it still be worthwhile to apply to these schools provided my MCAT is above or at their mean? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One method you could try in trimming down your school list is calculating a 10th percentile LizzyM score. So take their 10th percentile cGPA * 10 and add it to the 10th percentile MCAT on the old scale. Compare your LizzyM to that and that should be an OK guideline. Remember that its a guideline and not a hard and fast rule. There are other good reasons to include or exclude schools from your list (maybe your LizzyM is borderline for the school but it is your state school so you choose to include it anyway).

Reactions: 2 users
If any of your GPAs, OR MCAT are below the 10th %ile, then I can't recommend applying to that school, unless for GPA, you have a massive rising GPA trend and strong MCAT score to go with it. Only a compelling life story, killer ECs, URM or veteran status make it worthwhile to apply.

That's my rule of thumb.

Hi all, just wondering how exactly the MSAR 10th percentile guideline works? My cGPA is ~3.5, sGPA ~3.3 and MCAT 513. I did a search and didn't see an answer for this specific question (sorry if i skipped it!)

There are some schools (unsure if it's against ToS to specifically name school stats from MSAR) where my cGPA is above or at the 10th percentile, but my sGPA falls out of the range. Would it still be worthwhile to apply to these schools provided my MCAT is above or at their mean? Thanks!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One method you could try in trimming down your school list is calculating a 10th percentile LizzyM score. So take their 10th percentile cGPA * 10 and add it to the 10th percentile MCAT on the old scale. Compare your LizzyM to that and that should be an OK guideline. Remember that its a guideline and not a hard and fast rule. There are other good reasons to include or exclude schools from your list (maybe your LizzyM is borderline for the school but it is your state school so you choose to include it anyway).

That's an interesting suggestion and I'll look into it! Problem is that for a lot of schools I'm targeting my cGPA and MCAT are at or above the 10th percentile, but my sGPA is not. And so LizzyM score doesn't really factor in sGPA, which in my case isn't the best.

Maybe I could average the 10th percentile cGPA and sGPA? So in my case I would compare it to my "new LizzyM score" which would be 3.4 + 33mcat = 67?

If any of your GPAs, OR MCAT are below the 10th %ile, then I can't recommend applying to that school, unless for GPA, you have a massive rising GPA trend and strong MCAT score to go with it. Only a compelling life story, killer ECs, URM or veteran status make it worthwhile to apply.

That's my rule of thumb.

Wasn't the answer I was hoping for haha but Goro knows best! Would you consider a 513 a "strong mcat"? Thanks!

Create a WAMC thread and ask for school recs.

Create a WAMC thread and ask for school recs.

I posted there previously and was told I have a shot at a school with a mean gpa of 3.8 cause my app is service oriented and it's a Jesuit school (which I would love to attend!). Hence why I decided to post here and see what else I could learn.

Unless you have something in your application that is truly "90th" percentile, then I wouldn't bother if any of your stats fall below the 10th percentile

Reactions: 1 users
I see. Thanks everyone for your assistance!

3.3/3.5/32.5/Californian has some very, very iffy odds. Are you URM? Is something else about your app fantastic? If not you might consider a little grade repair, going 3.3/3.5 -> 3.5/3.7 for example.

3.3/3.5/32.5/Californian has some very, very iffy odds. Are you URM? Is something else about your app fantastic? If not you might consider a little grade repair, going 3.3/3.5 -> 3.5/3.7 for example.

Is it ok if I answer those questions via PM? I think I have certain aspects that may put my application into some sort of context but I don't want to publically give out too much info!

Is it ok if I answer those questions via PM? I think I have certain aspects that may put my application into some sort of context but I don't want to publically give out too much info!
Sure

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a list of schools where you are above the 10th percentile LizzyM. Bolded are the schools where you are above both the 10th percentile MCAT and cGPA and sGPAs. Based on the WAMC thread I take it your app has some sort of catnip for Catholic schools, so you might want to look at missions very closely. If you are URM with that MCAT feel free to apply anywhere in addition to 10 schools listed below.

Dartmouth
Albany
Emory
Ohio State University College Of Medicine
HofstraBase
U of Rochester
loyola
Floria Atlantic
Drexel
USF
Tulane
Indiana
New York Medical College
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
University of Arizona
Oregon Health
George Town
Rush
Virginia Tech
Frank H Netter
Michigan State
George Washington University
VCU
Thomas Jefferson
Cooper Medical School Rowan
Wright State University
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin Chicago
EVMS

Reactions: 1 user
Here is a list of schools where you are above the 10th percentile LizzyM. Bolded are the schools where you are above both the 10th percentile MCAT and cGPA and sGPAs. Based on the WAMC thread I take it your app has some sort of catnip for Catholic schools, so you might want to look at missions very closely. If you are URM with that MCAT feel free to apply anywhere in addition to 10 schools listed below.

Dartmouth
Albany
Emory
Ohio State University College Of Medicine
HofstraBase
U of Rochester
loyola
Floria Atlantic
Drexel
USF
Tulane
Indiana
New York Medical College
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
University of Arizona
Oregon Health
George Town
Rush
Virginia Tech
Frank H Netter
Michigan State
George Washington University
VCU
Thomas Jefferson
Cooper Medical School Rowan
Wright State University
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin Chicago
EVMS

Wow thanks so much! I really appreciate the effort! I should prob scratch out Oregon, Wright, and Cooper don't you think? I'm from CA!

Wow thanks so much! I really appreciate the effort! I should prob scratch out Oregon, Wright, and Cooper don't you think? I'm from CA!
All schools listed take 25% or more OOS matriculants. That being said some schools have a more detailed stance on "ties " to the state and what they will consider. MSAR is unable to give that level of clarity on the numbers alone.

That's my rule of thumb.

could you define killer ECs?

Pretty much just be outstanding in one of the usual categories. E.g. your own projects in research churn out pubs, many hundreds of hours of service work with the needy, you get the gist.

world_10_temp-1374476576-51ecd920-620x348.jpg

Reactions: 3 users