Clarification Questions about Military Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1) Can you go into a military residency after serving your 4 years of HPSP back? I believe so.

2) Now, at this point would the military residency not be concurrently paid and you would have to serve the additional years of how long your residency was after you are done with your residency, right?

3) If so, then at what point is military residency no longer paid concurrently? What I mean is, what If graduate dental school and don't get accepted right away into a military residency program and hence decide to go straight into repayment (no GPR or AEGD) and at the completion of my second year of service repayment I get accepted into a military residency. After the completion of military residency will I only owe my 2 remaining years of service from the original HPSP I had already began repaying back after dental school?

BONUS) what are KEY things you can do while in dental school to significantly increase the chances of getting into a specialty military residency right after you graduation? Is it specialty dependent? Also, from what I hear in these forums most of these specialty military residency spots are "saved" for more experienced dentists already on active duty? Does this hold some good amount of truth?

Thank you in advance for all your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

For the Navy, if you do an in-service residency then the time is paid back concurrently with any remaining ADSO.

If you do an out-service residency then the time is paid back consecutively.

One half-year is incurred for each half-year of training, except that orthodontics and endodontics incur a 3 year minimum commitment.

No ADSO is paid back during training.

If you do NADDS you do not incur additional time (but must serve a minimum of 2 years if remaining obligation is less than two years) but do not receive pay or benefits.

Reactions: 1 user
For the bonus inquiry - 1) Your numbers: GPA, board scores, etc - these are weighed HEAVILY, for all residency programs. 2) It sure appeared to have been, but not anymore. Looking at the selectees from previous years, the trend is changing. PM me if you have more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Can you go into a military residency after serving your 4 years of HPSP back? I believe so.

2) Now, at this point would the military residency not be concurrently paid and you would have to serve the additional years of how long your residency was after you are done with your residency, right?

3) If so, then at what point is military residency no longer paid concurrently? What I mean is, what If graduate dental school and don't get accepted right away into a military residency program and hence decide to go straight into repayment (no GPR or AEGD) and at the completion of my second year of service repayment I get accepted into a military residency. After the completion of military residency will I only owe my 2 remaining years of service from the original HPSP I had already began repaying back after dental school?

BONUS) what are KEY things you can do while in dental school to significantly increase the chances of getting into a specialty military residency right after you graduation? Is it specialty dependent? Also, from what I hear in these forums most of these specialty military residency spots are "saved" for more experienced dentists already on active duty? Does this hold some good amount of truth?

Thank you in advance for all your feedback.

#1: Yes.
#2: Yes.
#3: You will always have to payback your HPSP. If you serve 2 years, and then get accepted into a 2 year residency, you will do the residency (neutral years) and then owe 2 for the residency and 2 from HPSP. However, these will be served concurrently, so you will only owe 2 years total.
Bonus: Grades, Class Rank, Letter of Intent, Letters of Rec, etc. No spots are "saved" for anyone. The board looks at all applicants and decides who best meets the needs for the program. Experience does not secure anyone a spot.

#1: Yes.
#2: Yes.
#3: You will always have to payback your HPSP. If you serve 2 years, and then get accepted into a 2 year residency, you will do the residency (neutral years) and then owe 2 for the residency and 2 from HPSP. However, these will be served concurrently, so you will only owe 2 years total.
Bonus: Grades, Class Rank, Letter of Intent, Letters of Rec, etc. No spots are "saved" for anyone. The board looks at all applicants and decides who best meets the needs for the program. Experience does not secure anyone a spot.

I'm a bit confused between points #2 and #3.... so is military residency always paid back concurrently regardless of how long after dental school you go into the residency? yes, no, or it depends? Or really all you are always obligated to repay back is your HPSP years? Thanks again for your responses.

Let's say you get into a 2-year Comp residency right out of dental school and you owe 4 years from an HPSP. You would serve 2 years of the HPSP payback during the 2 year residency, then when you finished you would have 2 years of HPSP and Comp payback served concurrently. You'd only be obligated to serve those 4 years total.

Now, if you served 2 years payback before the residency, you would serve the last 2 years HPSP payback during residency, but would owe 2 more years after the Comp residency as payback. You would be obligated to serve 6 years total in this case.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's say you get into a 2-year Comp residency right out of dental school and you owe 4 years from an HPSP. You would serve 2 years of the HPSP payback during the 2 year residency, then when you finished you would have 2 years of HPSP and Comp payback served concurrently. You'd only be obligated to serve those 4 years total.

Now, if you served 2 years payback before the residency, you would serve the last 2 years HPSP payback during residency, but would owe 2 more years after the Comp residency as payback. You would be obligated to serve 6 years total in this case.

Oh gotcha! AirborneDentist's response now makes so much sense to me, sorry about that Airborne. Thanks Hedgy.

Oh, also what you explained can be said to be true for all three branches (Army, Nave, AF)? Also I tried to do a quick search but I had no luck, so I was wondering... when you apply for a military residency does the residency you apply for has to be within the branch that you are doing your HPSP through? or can you apply for a military residency of any military branch? Thanks again for your response.

Oh gotcha! AirborneDentist's response now makes so much sense to me, sorry about that Airborne. Thanks Hedgy.

Oh, also what you explained can be said to be true for all three branches (Army, Nave, AF)? Also I tried to do a quick search but I had no luck, so I was wondering... when you apply for a military residency does the residency you apply for has to be within the branch that you are doing your HPSP through? or can you apply for a military residency of any military branch? Thanks again for your response.

For easiness sake, I would say with your branch. There are instances where Army folks train with Navy and vice versa, but I would just figure on doing it with your branch.

Actually, at least for us, those two HPSP years would be served after completion of residency, although concurrently with the new ADSO.

For easiness sake, I would say with your branch. There are instances where Army folks train with Navy and vice versa, but I would just figure on doing it with your branch.

What do you mean for easiness sake? Does your branch and any branch (that's not your branch) don't like it if you apply for multiple branches military residencies? Also, in relation to that question, when you apply for HPSP, can you apply to more than one branch as well? I read on a previous post someone mentioning that a branch would need to contact the other branch to get some "tests/results" from you (as it can only be done once) and they will not like that and can be seen as a lack of commitment to their branch when applying, is this somewhat true? The reason I'm asking is because I'd really like to go through the HPSP and in the near future specialize with the military and if I can apply to different branches military residencies then that could give me a higher chance to match especially if I am really set on "wanting" to specialize right out of dental school. Thanks again.

What do you mean for easiness sake? Does your branch and any branch (that's not your branch) don't like it if you apply for multiple branches military residencies? Also, in relation to that question, when you apply for HPSP, can you apply to more than one branch as well? I read on a previous post someone mentioning that a branch would need to contact the other branch to get some "tests/results" from you (as it can only be done once) and they will not like that and can be seen as a lack of commitment to their branch when applying, is this somewhat true? The reason I'm asking is because I'd really like to go through the HPSP and in the near future specialize with the military and if I can apply to different branches military residencies then that could give me a higher chance to match especially if I am really set on "wanting" to specialize right out of dental school. Thanks again.

I am not sure on applying to the other branches, you would have to ask a recruiter about that.

When I say for easiness sake, I mean for all intents and purposes. While there may be a few that can get trained in other branches, it doesn't happen that often and I wouldn't plan on that happening for you. While it "may" happen, you cannot count or plan on it.

I am not sure on applying to the other branches, you would have to ask a recruiter about that.

When I say for easiness sake, I mean for all intents and purposes. While there may be a few that can get trained in other branches, it doesn't happen that often and I wouldn't plan on that happening for you. While it "may" happen, you cannot count or plan on it.

Gotcha. Quick question though, if you do end up training with a different branch residency I am under the impression that they would give you similar pay/benefits as if you were training with their branch, is that safe to assume? Also that concurrent (or neutral years) would still be applicable for payback. Thanks.

For your purposes you should assume you will not get trained with another branch, but there is no difference in pay and benefits as you remain a member of your branch. You will not have the opportunity to decide whether you want to pursue a spot with another branch, that will be decided for you.

For your purposes you should assume you will not get trained with another branch, but there is no difference in pay and benefits as you remain a member of your branch. You will not have the opportunity to decide whether you want to pursue a spot with another branch, that will be decided for you.

To some extent...but I know others in the past couple years were given the option. However, if nobody chooses it, you will be "voluntold" to do it.

Agree on the benefits, etc....you would still remain in the Army, etc.