Clarifications about the April 30 deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carolina910

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand the rule is that by April 30th, I must withdraw from all accepted schools except for the one I intend to enroll at. The AAMC says "*If any date falls on a weekend/holiday the recommendation(s) will apply to the following business day." - SO:

1) Can I get some clarification that this means the real deadline date is Monday, May 2nd this year?
2) Is there a specific time I must tell them by? (End of business day? By 11:59pm (in the time zone of the school)?)
3) Is there a specific means by which I must contact them (I'm assuming e-mail, phone, or portal if available are all sufficient?)

*I know this may seem excessively nitpicky, but I am planning to wait until the very LAST minute to make a decision in the hopes that scholarship money will free up at my first choice school before then, otherwise I may go to my (cheaper) state school for financial reasons.

**If this still seems excessive, the admissions director at my first choice school told me there was a girl in my same situation last year who withdrew her acceptance on April 29 and then scholarship money became available the very next day. I don't want that to be me!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually if a deadline is "by May 2nd", it means 11:59PM on May 2nd.

Ugh so you're why waitlists aren't moving.

Just kidding. Good luck finding the answer :p

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent out emails last week withdrawing. They affirmed and sent surveys, lol.

We don't have to send any confirmation to our chosen school, correct?

Do you have to do anything or submit any sort of "final decision" if you only got into one school and you've already submitted your acceptance/deposit to that school? I'm assuming no, but just want to make sure.

I sent out emails last week withdrawing. They affirmed and sent surveys, lol.

We don't have to send any confirmation to our chosen school, correct?
I sent my emails out today. I let my chosen school know as a courtesy and to have a paper trail to save my a** should anything unforeseen happen. Wouldn't hurt to let them know. One of those "What's the worst that can happen?" scenarios

Reactions: 1 users
Can you be on as many waitlists as you want after April 30th? My friend is confusing me and I can't seem to figure it out.

Just curious, are medical schools that interview late (March/April) required to give students a final decision prior to April 30th? I know a few individuals are waiting for schools who have yet to send them a final decision on their application and I'm wondering how that works with the Traffic Day fast approaching. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Don't freak out toooo much about this deadline, by 11:59pm on the 2nd should be completely fine. The admissions director at OHSU told us that even if students don't withdraw all their acceptances before April 30th not much happens besides the schools bugging you to choose only one acceptance. She said they would never actually rescind your offer just because you broke this rule, something along the lines of you having to withdraw your own acceptance and that they can't do it for you, regardless of the deadline. All that being said, I wouldn't test the waters, withdraw your offers on or before May 2nd

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do I have to take some sort of action through AMCAS or just e-mail the schools? Thank you!

Since April 30 is a Sunday, does that mean the deadline is May 1st instead?

does the multiple acceptances deadline only apply to schools that you've accepted and paid a deposit for? I received an acceptance yesterday, and the school is giving me a few days to consider before accepting the offer. However, I am accepted at another school - after April 30th would I be considered to still be holding on to two acceptances or does that not apply until I accept the second school?

EDIT- called the school and got the answer

Last edited:
Does this apply to only MD schools? So if you're in at multiple DO schools and 1 MD school, do you have to withdraw from the DO schools by 4/30?

Does this apply to only MD schools? So if you're in at multiple DO schools and 1 MD school, do you have to withdraw from the DO schools by 4/30?
Traffic rules only apply to MD schools.
We don't even know you are holding a DO acceptance.