Monoloco357

2+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Forgive me in advance, for I am typing this on my phone.

I am quite torn as to whether I should or shouldn't put a particular hobby as one of my 15 ECs, Clash of Clans. I have played the game for over two years. I started playing after some coaxing from my teammates.

Why do I consider this experience to be one that offers insight to my candidacy as an applicant? Leadership experience.

Explanation:
The clan I am in is comprised of friends, friends of friends, family, etc. No one in the clan is some random person from within the gaming community. The ties are personal in that respect.
Shortly after joining the clan, I became a co-leader (no, not all of us are co-leaders, and no, we don't just dish out the rank all willy-nilly). As a co-leader, I have collaborated with five other co-leaders and a leader on various topics regarding the clan's direction, purpose, etc. As a collective leadership, we determine the best route for the clan, and lead our group of friends, which is in the neighborhood of 60 strong (if you play, we have two clans to manage this). I have resolved conflict, learned how to present ideas, been able to offer valuable insight, etc.

Is this an activity worth placing in the EC section of my application?

My primary concern is that although it absolutely is something I enjoy doing in my pass time, it is a video game, and ADCOMs likely won't take too kindly to a video game as a hobby, due to the stereotyping associated with gamers.

LivMoore

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2015
Texas
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Clash Royale would be more impressive :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
just, no

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
I feel like the main reason to put down your hobbies is so that your interviewer has some way of relating to you. Do you feel like the people who interview you are likely to be able to relate with you based on your Clash of Clans hobby? Or do you think it's more likely to confuse them and make them view you as someone who just wastes their time gaming?

Also, for the record, if I saw that on your app I would have a negative impression because Clash of Clans ads spam up my phone all the time on some of the free apps I use and it's muy annoying.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
No don't do it.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
The SDN hive brain has hashed this out repeatedly, and the upshot is, "No."

That said, long ago @LizzyM posted after an SDN Mod's similar query to go ahead and include video game squadron leadership. I expect she was kidding, though I'm not positive. The Mod decided not to include it though, so we can't ask how that worked out.

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Personally, I think the only acceptable time to talk about video games would be if you were actually sponsored/traveling somewhat regularly. That way, you could spin it more as, "Well I was just good at this game and I saw that I could use it to travel to lots of places and meet new people." I mean, I feel like traveling is always cool. Then if they asked about it you could focus more on the places you've been and the people you've met than the actual game.

I'm not an adcom though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
depends on if you spam with valks or use a nuanced multi wave attack....don't even bother applying if you aren't at least a th10, med schools don't want anything th9 or less. Shows lack of commitment

but for real, don't put it on an app. sure it's something you like to do...there are a lot of things I like to do that don't go on an app

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
The SDN hive brain has hashed this out repeatedly, and the upshot is, "No."

That said, long ago @LizzyM posted after an SDN Mod's similar query to go ahead and include video game squadron leadership. I expect she was kidding, though I'm not positive. The Mod decided not to include it though, so we can't ask how that worked out.
We want to know about you as a person but perhaps there are some things it would be better for us not to know.

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016

summergirl

7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
depends on if you spam with valks or use a nuanced multi wave attack....don't even bother applying if you aren't at least a th10, med schools don't want anything th9 or less. Shows lack of commitment
I just upgraded to th10 yesterday. GTG write my update letter to Harvard!

Reactions: LivMoore and sb247

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
I just upgraded to th10 yesterday. GTG write my update letter to Harvard!
Oh yeah? Well I'm th9001 and Harvard writes update letters to me.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
My 13 year old plays Clash of Clans.

Better to list "computer gaming".

Forgive me in advance, for I am typing this on my phone.

I am quite torn as to whether I should or shouldn't put a particular hobby as one of my 15 ECs, Clash of Clans. I have played the game for over two years. I started playing after some coaxing from my teammates.

Why do I consider this experience to be one that offers insight to my candidacy as an applicant? Leadership experience.

Explanation:
The clan I am in is comprised of friends, friends of friends, family, etc. No one in the clan is some random person from within the gaming community. The ties are personal in that respect.
Shortly after joining the clan, I became a co-leader (no, not all of us are co-leaders, and no, we don't just dish out the rank all willy-nilly). As a co-leader, I have collaborated with five other co-leaders and a leader on various topics regarding the clan's direction, purpose, etc. As a collective leadership, we determine the best route for the clan, and lead our group of friends, which is in the neighborhood of 60 strong (if you play, we have two clans to manage this). I have resolved conflict, learned how to present ideas, been able to offer valuable insight, etc.

Is this an activity worth placing in the EC section of my application?

My primary concern is that although it absolutely is something I enjoy doing in my pass time, it is a video game, and ADCOMs likely won't take too kindly to a video game as a hobby, due to the stereotyping associated with gamers.

chewydog

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
On a similar note, guess I dodged a bullet by last minute deciding not to use my DotA2 essay as part of my primary application. I had written two completely different versions and decided to go with the more traditional one (which completely omits 3000+ hours I have spent on this game). Thanks OP for posting a question that settles the question in my heart of "What if I had chosen the other one?"!

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
On a similar note, guess I dodged a bullet by last minute deciding not to use my DotA2 essay as part of my primary application. I had written two completely different versions and decided to go with the more traditional one (which completely omits 3000+ hours I have spent on this game). Thanks OP for posting a question that settles the question in my heart of "What if I had chosen the other one?"!
Holy moly

NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
I feel like if you really want to play a game that will look good on apps, play chess. Chess always makes people seem smarter.

Reactions: Gurby

SnakeDoc9497

clear alcohols are for rich women on diets
Jun 30, 2015
Redacted
Status
Medical Student

but for real, don't put it on an app. sure it's something you like to do...there are a lot of things I like to do that don't go on an app
Hi, Ron

Reactions: sb247

GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Another game to consider is "go". It's considered one of the hardest board games ever. I tried playing against the computer a few times and wanted to jump in front of a bus... then weirdly wanted to keep playing lol
http://www.usgo.org/what-go