Class Advise: Plant Physiology or Elementary Microbiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking some upper level bio classes after my engineering major at the local public uni to help with GPA and show academic record/capability.

I'm taking:
genetics
physiology
biochem

and deciding on whether to take : Plant physiology or elementary microbiology?

Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking some upper level bio classes after my engineering major at the local public uni to help with GPA and show academic record/capability.

I'm taking:
genetics
physiology
biochem

Any input?

Let's be friends. I am taking biochem and plant physiology so you should too...

Members don't see this ad :)
Whichever you will find most interesting.

:thumbup: I am a vegetarian so I kinda like plants...

Also, do you have access to historical grade distributions or information on the professor. It doesn't always pay to be a grade grubber but this information can help you make a better informed decision. Also, how strong were you in the prereqs for both classes (if they were any different).

GOod points! thanks! well at this point, i do need to be a grade grabber :)

Micro is more applicable to med school. I also found the lab component way cool...:thumbup:

Micro seems infinitely more useful/interesting (I loved my undergrad micro class, fwiw)

I hate plants, so I would do micro. The only bad thing is that the lab is terrible (or at least mine was). Maybe ask some people who have taken it.

Perhaps you could pioneer the first plantpeople residency.

I'm not the biggest plant bio fan. I absolutely loved loved loved micro though. Our lab was very well done. We even made beer and yogurt in lab.

I'd see if you can get info from people who've taken each class, see what the grade distributions are like, see what the exam schedule/assignment load is like and how that's going to work with your other classes, factor all that in with what you're interested in, then choose.

Micro is definitely more useful. It will help you in medical immensely

Jumping on the "most interesting" bandwagon. For me that'd be plant phys because it's actually a much more interesting subject than you'd think.

Also I hate micro. However I have to disagree slightly that "elementary micro" is going to be a godsend help with medical school. The very most it's going to do when OP gets to med school will be "oh i remember memorizing this stuff once, time to do it again because I forgot it all".

Jumping on the "most interesting" bandwagon. For me that'd be plant phys because it's actually a much more interesting subject than you'd think.

Also I hate micro. However I have to disagree slightly that "elementary micro" is going to be a godsend help with medical school. The very most it's going to do when OP gets to med school will be "oh i remember memorizing this stuff once, time to do it again because I forgot it all".

sounds like a good enough reason to me :p

I liked Plant Physiology, but I LOVED Micro, and I went on to take about 3 other advanced Micro courses. I thought Plant Phys was easier in terms of study load, however.

Just wanted to say that I finished Microbio last semester and got an A- and it was pretty interesting and fun at times too! I think it was certainly way more useful than plant , even if just so that now I now how to say streptococcous and understand what it is!

Your comments were appreciated!

Last edited:
Micro was my favorite bio class! I had a very enthusiastic professor.

I'm taking:
genetics
physiology
biochem

Any input?

Just in case this isn't a coincidence and you actually do go to my school... Plant phys was a ton of fun (my instructors last name started with "patt"). Micro was a nightmare.