Class for new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think taking a biostats class will help me for the new MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No.

One of the most common mistakes people make when studying for the MCAT is to fail to study "for the MCAT." Studying stuff that's not on the test or not high yield, will do you more harm than good, if you are doing so solely to prepare for the test. For example, taking PhD level biology will not help you nearly as much as re-studying freshman biology. MCAT tests the first year of college level, biology, general chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, and the first semester of the new topics, psychology, sociology, etc.

You may have already seen this, but here's an excellent thread describing what each person did to get a score of 30 or better, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/30-mcat-study-habits-the-cbt-version.503250/page-31

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No.

One of the most common mistakes people make when studying for the MCAT is to fail to study "for the MCAT." Studying stuff that's not on the test or not high yield, will do you more harm than good, if you are doing so solely to prepare for the test. For example, taking PhD level biology will not help you nearly as much as re-studying freshman biology. MCAT tests the first year of college level, biology, general chemistry, physics, organic chemistry, and the first semester of the new topics, psychology, sociology, etc.

You may have already seen this, but here's an excellent thread describing what each person did to get a score of 30 or better, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/30-mcat-study-habits-the-cbt-version.503250/page-31

Yes, but people keep saying to take upper-level biology courses to do well…For the old MCAT, many on SDN thought their score would be screwed if they hadn't taken Biochemistry or Physiology, even though those classes aren't required either. Since the new exam is "unknown" and it emphasizes stat-based techniques, I was planning to take this class. I would also like to take Microbiology, but if I take it this semester, it's a lot of work for me :unsure:

Thanks for the thread! I'll look through it again, but will those tips help me for the new MCAT 2015?

Do you guys think taking a biostats class will help me for the new MCAT?
It might be helpful to have a basic understanding of stats, so when you're presented with graphs and data analysis you can interpret it. I'd just take like an intro to stats course though if you really want to, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

It might be helpful to have a basic understanding of stats, so when you're presented with graphs and data analysis you can interpret it. I'd just take like an intro to stats course though if you really want to, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, thats the reason I wanted to take the class, because the new exam is supposed to be all about interpreting graphs. the The biostats class is required for my major, so I was going to take it this semester anyway. But then, someone told me that I should take Microbiology instead to prepare for the new exam. But…microbiology isn't required for my major, so it would be like taking the class only for the MCAT and to maybe impress adcoms with another upper division biology. Should I still take microbiology? Or can I do well without it?

Last edited:
Yes, thats the reason I wanted to take the class, because the new exam is supposed to be all about interpreting graphs. the The biostats class is required for my major, so I was going to take it this semester anyway. But then, someone told me that I should take Microbiology instead to prepare for the new exam. But…microbiology isn't required for my major, so it would be like taking the class only for the MCAT and to maybe impress adcoms with another upper division biology. Should I still take microbiology? Or can I do well without it?

I just started studying for the new MCAT and am still learning what's going to be on it, so I'm probably not the best person to answer, but I would take the microbio course over stats. Microbio will help you quite a bit for the MCAT I think. Stats probably not as much. But eh what do I know.

is statistics a subject that is tested on the MCAT? No, so why would it help?