class notes v. review books...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saanjana

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in your opinion, do you think its worth putting in the time reading a well rated review book side by side with the course, or is it better just to focus on the class notes? I try to do review books but often find myself pressed for time to learn information from different resources. Plus, class exams are obviously based upon the professor's notes....

On the flip side, i feel that reading a review book might help me do more focused study for the Step 1....professors often go off on their own research or on topics that they might like....but are not necessarily high yeild in terms of the boards...

What's your guys' take? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I suplement notes with review books, then use the review books again to study for the NBME (toss the class notes at this time). It's been working well so far, but I'm only in my 2nd semester.

It depends on what your goal is. If your goal is to do well on the exams then you should focus on the class notes. If you are studying for the boards then you should be using the review books. In other words first year you should be using the notes while second year you should be focusing more on the review books.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't buy a review book.

I remember reading on SDN on how people used the BRS series for subjects like anatomy etc. It was such a waste of money. You won't have time to read additional texts. Your class notes will be adequate. Plus, your professor will emphasize different things than a revew book. Lastly, most review books rarely explain concepts. They just provide lists of things you should have memorized for the boards. That will not help you with your basic sciences. I highly discourage review books. Use that money instead on a tutor to explain things you didn't already understand. I got more out of my tutor who was a second year student than I did out of any of the review books.

For the class exams I study from my notes, handouts, etc. The same professor who gave the lecture preapred the exam questions and the good ones tend to emphazise the important points in their lectures (big asterix next to these) for the exam. The only exception to this has been the Robbins Review of Pathology. I do the corresponding chapter the day before or the morning of the path/pathophysio/micro/pharm exam and it's great for recapping everything after I'm done studying.

For the shelfs, I use the review books. The most usefull ones have been the UCV series.

Well, here is what most people at my school do:

Most classes seem to test by what they teach. So, learn class transcripts/notes as well as possible. If you don't understand something, or the notes are a bit vague, go to a text or review book for help.

Sharkfan said:
Well, here is what most people at my school do:

Most classes seem to test by what they teach. So, learn class transcripts/notes as well as possible. If you don't understand something, or the notes are a bit vague, go to a text or review book for help.
exactly :thumbup:

well....do you sometimes feel that the class notes are not adequate....like the school may not be teaching the material in a manner appropriate to the boards, say, clinical vignettes, etc, or maybe missing crucial information....or for physio for instance, may not be teaching the material with right approach...ie graphs, etc.

saanjana said:
well....do you sometimes feel that the class notes are not adequate....like the school may not be teaching the material in a manner appropriate to the boards, say, clinical vignettes, etc, or maybe missing crucial information....or for physio for instance, may not be teaching the material with right approach...ie graphs, etc.
After your last block exam, burn the class notes and go through a good review book for the NBME.

thackl said:
After your last block exam, burn the class notes and go through a good review book for the NBME.

lol....as funny as that sounded....i know you're giving sincere advice...and i think i'll probably end up trying it! :D

novacek88 said:
Don't buy a review book.

I remember reading on SDN on how people used the BRS series for subjects like anatomy etc. It was such a waste of money. You won't have time to read additional texts. Your class notes will be adequate. Plus, your professor will emphasize different things than a revew book. Lastly, most review books rarely explain concepts. They just provide lists of things you should have memorized for the boards. That will not help you with your basic sciences. I highly discourage review books. Use that money instead on a tutor to explain things you didn't already understand. I got more out of my tutor who was a second year student than I did out of any of the review books.

I think that you should definitely do both - there isn't one OR the other. You need to learn this info, find stuff that helps you learn it. "don't buy a review book" - I think this is horrible advice unless your professors write notes like noone's business (somehow I doubt every one of them does). I think you should avoid bad review books and buy ones that are good.
You shouldn't be studying for class only, you should be studying to learn. I would say even review books explain concepts (I am not sure where that notion came from, but since you brought up BRS, I think BRS phys is Full of them).

i'm sure i'm in the minority when i say this, but i say read TEXTBOOKS.
reading books like robbins and even lighter ones like stars contanzo provides understanding and integration you might not find in review books and notes (at least the ones at my school).
i'm a msII and i always start a course w/the text and when gets closer to exams- memorize the notes only. the notes and review books also make more sense after a good reading of a text and become easier to memorize and retain.
best of luck

my opinion....good review books and class notes