Class of 2005: Where are you going? How do you feel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dodge This

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I'll be matriculating at USC in the fall. I'll admit that right now, I'm damn nervous...

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'll start...
I'm going to the University of North Carolina and I'm damn psyched.

I can't wait to learn things that matter (unlike calculus, physics, statistics, orgo, and every other B.S. class we had to take to get here).

I am really excited since I didn't get into any school until last week! I am going to GW in DC. It works out perfectly for me since I am getting married in July and my fiance lives there. I took a year off so I feel ready to go back to school..I am a little nervous about getting into gear. Anyways, congrats to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at SC,... bastards!! J/K, I got into Jefferson (Philadelphia), so I'm still pretty happy. The only thing is Lakers better win or else I'll have to eat crow for 4 long years. As for med school, not that I'm in, sometimes I feel like what the hell was I thinking???

Mixed emotions. Nervous, excited, curious...I'll be living in the east coast for the first time in my life. Going to Albert Einstein.

i'll most likely be headed to michigan in august...that is, unless NYU comes calling. i guess i don't feel very excited yet because i have a few months of boring, mundane work ahead of me still. to be honest, right now i'm looking forward to my trips to chicago and canada in july, and med school is taking the back burner.

bud

Heading down south to Tulane...unless Yale calls. I definitely have mixed emotions. I'm very excited but if you would have asked me at the beginning of the process, I would have never guessed I'd be in the south.
:) :D :eek:

off to NYU...headed there to do research for the summer in about 10 days. Excited but very nervous as well, one of the reasons being that I'm a small town boy headed to the big apple. I've been going out of my mind in boredom for the past month and even my last semester at college, so it'll be nice to get back into that stressful environment where I just seem to get so much more accomplished both in and out of school.

By the way, MValento...write a letter, be active and maybe it'll work out. Go figure, I didn't even get an interview at UMich. Why do you like NYU better?

Off to UCSD in late August, (although I'm still waiting to see if Baylor will call). Right now I'm just stressing about finding housing. Haven't really thought ahead far enough to be nervous about school, but I can't believe how fast the time is going -- I still can't believe it's already June!!

Right now it looks like I will be headed to NYU unless UCLA gets their act together!!! I am excited though, both are great schools.

Rochester, and I'm excited. I still wouldn't want to rush the summer, though. I still have sleep to catch up on. :D

As of now, i'm going to Stony Brook, but I'm on the wait list at four schools. Two already told me i'm in the middle of the waitlist (not good)- but i'm still hopefull for Cornell and Baylor. I'm working another month, then taking some time off to relax, visit friends, family, and my bf.

Does anyone else out there think they should rearrange this admissions process so that we all know a bit sooner where the next 4+ years of our lives will be spent? Good luck to everyone-

Originally posted by lilycat:
•Off to UCSD in late August, (although I'm still waiting to see if hell will freeze over and Baylor will call). Right now I'm just stressing about finding housing. Haven't really thought ahead far enough to be nervous about school, but I can't believe how fast the time is going -- I still can't believe it's already June!!•

lilycat,

Why do you like Baylor over UCSD? Oh I get it, you've got that itch to get in state tuition at Baylor even though youre a CA resident? Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll tell you what I am doing, I am heading back to undrgrad for another year :mad: ! Man am I pissed!!

Going to Wright State and completely thrilled. I think it is the perfect school for me- small and primary care focused. I can't wait to start school (Isn't that sickening- but I've been out of school since Dec!)

I'm going to GW too!!!! Unless UCI takes back their rejection letter and accepts without an interview ;)
I'm anxious, nervous and excited all in one!
See you there genieinabottle!

I'm going to East Tennessee State- a small, primary-care focused school. This was my third time applying, so I'm ready to start med school YESTERDAY!

i'm headed to the UCSF/Berkeley (MD/MS) program and really excited about it! a little nervous, though, because i'm a total SoCal girl and moving up to the Bay Area is going to be an adventure (and finding housing up there is going to be even more of one)- my b/f (a PhD student at Berkeley) and i are apartment-hunting now. i'm also trying to figure out how i'm going to spend the 10 days (!!!) between my college graduation and the beginning of med school. <sigh> :)

GO LAKERS! (they're gonna sweep) :D :D :D

I was getting super nervous, having second thoughts, basically freaking out. Then today, I was fortunate that I was able to observe a mitral valve replacement (my first time in the OR!). I'm back to excited again! :D

well, i am going to penn state, and am quite excited about it. i am also a bit nervous - but i think that is more for the SIXERS series. the lakers won't know what hit them!

gre, that's because the lakers will sweep in 4 and the sixers will barely put up a fight. hehe :D :D :D

seriously, who can play against the lakers? we have too much firepower and yes, the sixers are talented and have "heart", but the skills of kobe and shaq, the intensity of fox and fisher, and the intangibles of ho grant, horry and shaw will be too much...

whoops, in my lakers rant, i didn't mention one thing about class of 2005... :rolleyes:

i'm still waiting to get in so until then, i'll keep my mouth shut in this subject... :cool:

No te preocupado Don Corelone. Simply put Sixers win with their great D, but check the stats and guess who is the best D in the biz? Sixers' heart win's 'em, but that's all she wrote.

As for school, it's not the studying I'm worried about (I've got an advanced degree, so been there done that), it's the lack of a life that concerns me. Oh well, the ends justify the means.

It looks like I'll be headed to Baylor in August, and I'm starting to get excited. We have to be there August 2nd for orientation, so we have less than two months left of summer. Yikes! :eek:

Goin' to Jeff, obviously. Going to relax for the next two months and go hardcore when school starts - at least for the first "semester," just to get oriented. Social life will definitely be limited, but not extinct. One poster gave great advice - not to hold your breath...to live life as it comes. That's so true about medical school; it would be a horrible waste to never look up from the books. Everyone worried about the social scene - it's rarely about the scene...
I think academics are going to be challenging, but not back-breaking. No picnic, that's for sure. But, I'd rather do that than work some cubicle job or wait tables through my twenties (and i'm not bashing people that do that, it's just not for me, and i'm guessing, not for many on this board).

I'm thrilled to be headed back home to the University of Nebraska.

School's still not out yet here, so finals are coming up this week, and then we're moving on the 21st.

To be honest, there's so much other crap going on I haven't had much time to think about it! I'm excited and love every piece of new mail I get--especially the scholarship money!

--kris

•Off to UCSD in late August, (although I'm still waiting to see if hell will freeze over and Baylor will call). Right now I'm just stressing about finding housing. Haven't really thought ahead far enough to be nervous about school, but I can't believe how fast the time is going -- I still can't believe it's already June!!•

lilycat- having lived in La Jolla the past four years, I'd like to wish you the best of luck finding housing. :D

University of Arkansas and tickled pink! :D :D :D

Originally posted by corleone:
•gre, that's because the lakers will sweep in 4 and the sixers will barely put up a fight. hehe :D :D :D

seriously, who can play against the lakers? we have too much firepower and yes, the sixers are talented and have "heart", but the skills of kobe and shaq, the intensity of fox and fisher, and the intangibles of ho grant, horry and shaw will be too much...•

haha, jeff05, read my post in the lounge. it'll explain everything...

Headed to NYU. Can't wait!

Headed to Morehouse this July 5th! (Prematriculation program) unless MCV calls w/ one really nice financial aid package or UNC just calls ;)
I am excited because this has been one long year off! Hey by the way anyone in Atlanta know of any great apts in the area? ;)

Start school on Monday, pre-matric here at the University of South Florida. My wife and I feel pretty good about it.
I wish I would have had more vacation time. Tomorrow, I will help my wife faux paint a friend's house for some dough. That's her thing, faux and mural painting. Anyone interested :D ?

I too will be at USF, but in August. No way I was giving up my vacation time. I could use the rest. Good luck everyone.

Going to the University of Chicago! School doesn't start until mid-September, so I have a whole summer of working ahead! Congrats everyone!

Tulane and scared s**tless. Excited as heck, though, because like others, I'd like to get into some meaningful classes, unlike Money and Banking or Advanced Microeconomics II. I finished school yesterday, and I can't wait to start relaxin ... I can't yet, because I don't know if I passed those two damn Econ classs. If the worst happens, I will be at the Dean's door, begging and pleading, hehe.

Simul

Headed to Univ of Illiois (Urbana campus). Start next Monday and I am psyched.

I'm off to UVM this August. Although I currently live in southern CA, I'm excited about returning to the East Coast, since I grew up in NH. It's been six months since I last sat in a lecture hall, so I'm somewhat anxious about starting classes again. Anyway, congrats to everyone headed to new venues this summer and fall!

UTMB - just started the prematric there - its pretty intense :) Its fun though except for the *REALLY* boring path lecturer.

smiles,
Star

Originally posted by baylor21:
•lilycat,

Why do you like Baylor over UCSD? Oh I get it, you've got that itch to get in state tuition at Baylor even though youre a CA resident? Good luck.•

Hmmm, I'm not sure, was that meant facetiously? I will assume it wasn't. Here are the reasons why I like Baylor:

1) 1.5 years of basic sciences. I really like the idea of an extra 10 months to play around with, esp. to take time off for studying for the boards, and also being able to start clinicals earlier.

2) The clinical experience -- I definitely think it's superior to UCSD's, and I was just really, really impressed on the hospital tour. Also, everything I've heard from physicians is that Baylor turns out extremely clinically sound physicians.

3) My boyfriend. 'Nuff said.

4) I'd like a change -- I've lived in CA for the last 15 straight years, and I think it would be good for me to leave the state for a few years, if I got the opportunity.

I'm technically still waiting on Wash U as well, but I know my chances aren't as good there, and I like Houston better than St. Louis. As for tuition, Baylor is still pretty affordable even if I don't get the TX resident break (which I probably won't because I don't intend to buy property).

Originally posted by dodgethis:
•lilycat- having lived in La Jolla the past four years, I'd like to wish you the best of luck finding housing. :D

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :( I'm concerned...

By the way, what do you think of Pacific Beach? (pros and cons -- this the question I'm asking all the San Diego people right now)

UCSF, after a long agonizing process of deciding whether to abandon CWRU and leave my boyfriend and research behind (as well as any possibility of buying a house). Totally nervous and excited. Right now, I'm probably more nervous about finding a place to live than starting classes.

Lis,

Didn't you turn down Stanford for CWRU...but now UCSF?

But I might be thinking about the wrong person. If that's the case...sorry.

At any rate, congrats on the great schools!

-->OD

lillycat, I live in PB right now and I love it here. It will be great for med achool becasue it is right in between La Jolla and Hillcrest where the hospital is. The only downsides are the traffic and the rent (plus someone has to die to even find an place to pay the high rent at!!!) If you need any more info just let me know.

OCuilinn, I am off to UVM too! See you there!

•I like Houston better than St. Louis. •

Oooh, don't know that I agree with that one, and I am a bigger city type of guy. Having lived in both, I would probably have to go more with St. Louis. First off, I like hockey a hell of a lot more than basketball. Second, I am a die-hard Cards fan. Third, it has more of an East Coast city feel, which I really like.
Houston does have the weather advantage (last weekend I left here and it was 85 degrees. My flight landed in St. Louis and it was 60. I was like, "Hello, it's June!"), but I think overall I like St. Louis more. Houston is the site of my favorite skyscraper, but St. Louis has the arch. I guess it is mostly the sports fan in me that makes me love St. Louis.
Still, to each his (or in this case, her) own.

i'm goin to buffalo!!! anyone else out there from out-of-state goin to UB?

Oceandust--you're right, my original decision was CWRU over Stanford. Turned in all the appropriate forms and everything was hunky-dory. Even started looking for a house here in Cleveland. Then at the end of May I got into UCSF off the waitlist and had to start making pro/con lists again. This time CA won out--the education's better, the city's cooler, and the tuition is A LOT lower. I'm pretty sad about the boyfriend and the house though. Hope UCSF is worth it.

SerendipityMA,

Glad to hear from a fellow UVM classmate! Lmk if you'd like to keep in touch before we head to Burlington, and I'll post my email address.

dnt107- here is the belated answer to your question- i consider michigan and NYU to be pretty close as far as school quality/reputation is concerned, they have similar curriculums, i liked the students at both, but ann arbor vs. manhatten? easy choice for me, if i get to make it. i have been living in the suburbs my whole life, and am very anxious to get to the city. i have written a few letters to NYU, called dean brienza a few days ago, he told me that the waitlist should start to move in mid or late june. but if i don't get the call, i am still excited about michigan. i'm in a pretty good situation right now. maybe i'll be seeing you in august-

bud