Class of 2010 - A Little Love for the Class of 2011 (Wisdom? Advice?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabMonster

Clinically relevant.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of us have started classes already - and some of us still look around here in pre-allo because we can hardly believe where we are, where we came from, and the questions we asked. ;) Like anything else, once you're involved, you have a much better idea of what the hell is actually going on.

I'm hoping people will add what you can expect the first week or two of medical school - simply because it still seems shrouded in darkness (I had no idea...) Maybe people have great ideas for an interview, AMCAS, whatever... SDN is supposed to be a resource - lets use it. :cool:

Add some wisdom 2010 - remember where you were a year ago.

First - the waiting is terrible if you make it so. I planned on not getting in, but now I'm innundated with gross, histo, embryo, etc, etc - but the backup plan gave me some terra firma to anchor to. :thumbup:

Second - an acceptance is a great thing, a great high - for you and your loved ones. When you're like me, and hoped the ADCOM would see through a crappy initial GPA, there is nothing like it; after all, they saw through the paper trail to who you are NOW and who you will be as a physician.

Third - We had a great time during orientation week - most of us were partied out, but really enjoyed meeting classmates - future colleagues and friends!

Fourth - Yes school is hard, yes you need to study (a lot), but you signed up for it, remember ;) - Oh yeah, it's pretty much the coolest thing I've ever done. (Well coolest long term training program :laugh: )

Good luck - hope to see you all around. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Right.

No help - GO PRE-MED FORUMS!

We're all working our collective asses off for exams, but come on...

I bumped this so some fine MS1 could lend their quality advice to the pre-med forum, alas, they are all buried in gross...

Yes, there is an insane amount of work, and yes it escalates and it's exhausting. But it's fun.

Hey - for your interviews, be yourselves. Don't pretend to be something you're not. Be yourself - you haven't gotten this far because you're an idiot - but show them you're a person, and an intelligent caring one at that. Also - the interview doesn't stop when you leave the interview room...

Labmonster, how many hours a day do you think you're spending on "medical school" right now?

Also have you lost the "OMG I AM A MED STUDENT" feeling yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't think that people can see through your pre-med bulls*** (stocking bedsheets as "clinical experience", cleaning dishes in lab as "research", secretary of the premed club as "leadership"), but trust me, ADCOMs see it and they smell it. Please, don't even think about writing "I went to the hospital when I was 13, and that changed my life forever" for your personal statement.

Enough with the crap. Be authentic. Be yourself. If you are out to impress someone, you'll just appear self-centered and phony.

(and your fellow med students will hate you if by chance you slip through the net.)

DoctorPardi said:
Labmonster, how many hours a day do you think you're spending on "medical school" right now?

No - I haven't lost that feeling yet ;)

Day to day, our classes change, so actual contact hours vary - but realize it is "supposed" to be a 22 credit semester. You just have to budget your time. As one of my AWESOME instructors put it "From here on out, you will never know everything, and you won't get every question on an exam right."

What does that mean? It means you will study a lot, or not at all, and if you pass you will continue your education. Learning styles vary, but there is A LOT to know about the human body and what can go wrong with it. Trust me, the time goes too fast, because you are always having fun! There are subjects you may not like as much as the next, but you still love learning everything.

LabMonster said:
No - I haven't lost that feeling yet ;)

Day to day, our classes change, so actual contact hours vary - but realize it is "supposed" to be a 22 credit semester. You just have to budget your time. As one of my AWESOME instructors put it "From here on out, you will never know everything, and you won't get every question on an exam right."

What does that mean? It means you will study a lot, or not at all, and if you pass you will continue your education. Learning styles vary, but there is A LOT to know about the human body and what can go wrong with it. Trust me, the time goes too fast, because you are always having fun! There are subjects you may not like as much as the next, but you still love learning everything.

I really look forward to the learning. Currently classes touch on medicine some and those are always my favorite parts, but having an entire education process devoted to medicine is going to be amazing.

Also I think I will have more time in med school. I will not be working, and I'll probably live right near campus, so I will not be commuting so much (I commute 2 hours a day on days I work and go to school).

DoctorPardi said:
I really look forward to the learning. Currently classes touch on medicine some and those are always my favorite parts, but having an entire education process devoted to medicine is going to be amazing.

You're right - it is. Keep your perspective. :)

g3pro said:
Enough with the crap. Be authentic. Be yourself. If you are out to impress someone, you'll just appear self-centered and phony.

(and your fellow med students will hate you if by chance you slip through the net.)

'Nuff said.

finnally a good topic.

Monster, tell that big tall bald Russian to relax and enjoy the weather ;)

TheProwler said:
Monster, tell that big tall bald Russian to relax and enjoy the weather ;)

:laugh:

We don't seem to get outside much...

How is MCW?

LabMonster said:
:laugh:

We don't seem to get outside much...

How is MCW?
cool class, it seems. I was in the library for like five hours today. Second day of class.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, I don't think I can give any advice until I do decently on an exam... I'm just hoping to pass the first, so maybe I can give some advice after christmas break.
I have found it rather refreshing that my classmates seem very "real". Theres not an over abundance of people with tons of medical experience/think they know everything there is to know. Actually, I've seen very little arrogance. This was not what I expected after my many hours of SDN. Basically, I know now that my classmates are all a lot like me... just normal people, a little nervous, a little scared, ready to work like crazy to get by, but no where close to feeling like we have this medical thing worked out.
The only individual I know that feels comfortable right now is a female in my class who was actually a biochem assistant professor at the school I'm attending. She was in charge of teaching the small group projects for the first block of med students - and she'll admit that once this block is over, she's just as clueless as the rest of us.
So, my advice is "be yourself" (of course, be your best self, but be yourself).
Also, take the attitudes and things you here on SDN with a grain of salt. Not everyone has above 30 GPA's. Not everyone has won amazing awards. Not everyone has saved people's lives in a medical setting. Those that have, thats fantastic. Those that haven't, just do what you can with what you have.

You will be expected to know (or at least get as familiar as possible with) an enormous amount of information. I have been in class for only two days, and I have had to learn as much information as what seems to be about half of the information that I learned in an entire SEMESTER of most undergraduate classes. It is a little overwhelming in that the material just continues to build up. You don't really have time to go over the material more than a couple of times before you have something new to learn.

On the other hand, it is great! I am currently only taking anatomy and have no other responsibilities. It is so nice to be able to focus on only one subject and not 5 or 6 at a time like in undergrad. I am really becoming engrossed in anatomy. It does take up most of the day, but so does a full time job. We have class from 8-12, then I stay around campus studying until 4 or 5. I have time to go to the gym and socialize before studying for a few more hours at night and relaxing for a couple of hours before going to sleep. I don't know what the weekends will be like, but i expect to have time to go out at least one night. My one real complaint is that my back is killing me from hunching over to dissect and study all day.

Advice for interviews: Know the schools, praise the schools (especially what they seem to be proud of), and follow up the interview.

Advice for medical school: DON'T FALL BEHIND! there isn't really any time to catch up. I know people who didn't study much over the weekend before the first day of class, and they are already stressing out.

paco4488 said:
You will be expected to know (or at least get as familiar as possible with) an enormous amount of information. I have been in class for only two days, and I have had to learn as much information as what seems to be about half of the information that I learned in an entire SEMESTER of most undergraduate classes. It is a little overwhelming in that the material just continues to build up. You don't really have time to go over the material more than a couple of times before you have something new to learn.

On the other hand, it is great! I am currently only taking anatomy and have no other responsibilities. It is so nice to be able to focus on only one subject and not 5 or 6 at a time like in undergrad. I am really becoming engrossed in anatomy. It does take up most of the day, but so does a full time job. We have class from 8-12, then I stay around campus studying until 4 or 5. I have time to go to the gym and socialize before studying for a few more hours at night and relaxing for a couple of hours before going to sleep. I don't know what the weekends will be like, but i expect to have time to go out at least one night. My one real complaint is that my back is killing me from hunching over to dissect and study all day.

Advice for interviews: Know the schools, praise the schools (especially what they seem to be proud of), and follow up the interview.

Advice for medical school: DON'T FALL BEHIND! there isn't really any time to catch up. I know people who didn't study much over the weekend before the first day of class, and they are already stressing out.

My left arm rests on my copy of Harrison's as I type this. Do you need to study? Well, that is up to you. From what I have read there is no such thing as an eidectic memory

The best advice I can give is to not let advice from first or second years stress you out...everytime I was on SDN I would read posts about how stressful it is and how they have no life blah blah blah. Although I have only been through 1 week of classes, I can say that med school is completely manageable as long as you keep up with the curriculum (after lectures i will go home and read over the notes again everyday). But don't let others discourage you..yes it's scary to think about all the information you are expected to learn, but it's by no means impossible. If you are truly interested in medicine then you will actually enjoy most of your classes. Good luck with the interviews...and if you applied to Drexel then I definitely advise you to come here!! it's an excellent school and I'm so glad I have chosen it. If you have any questions about the curriculum, area, etc. PM me. GOOD LUCK!!!

LabMonster said:
Right.

No help - GO PRE-MED FORUMS!

We're all working our collective asses off for exams, but come on...

I bumped this so some fine MS1 could lend their quality advice to the pre-med forum, alas, they are all buried in gross...

Yes, there is an insane amount of work, and yes it escalates and it's exhausting. But it's fun.

Hey - for your interviews, be yourselves. Don't pretend to be something you're not. Be yourself - you haven't gotten this far because you're an idiot - but show them you're a person, and an intelligent caring one at that. Also - the interview doesn't stop when you leave the interview room...

What do you mean by the interview doesn't stop when you leave the interview room? I know we should send thank you notes to our interviewers. Is there anything else I need to do?

hlchess said:
What do you mean by the interview doesn't stop when you leave the interview room? I know we should send thank you notes to our interviewers. Is there anything else I need to do?

I think they mean the interview is from when you step into the school until you step out you're being interviewed. EVERYONE you meet at the school can potentially give feedback. Hosts, office staff, tour guides etc. A mistake people often make (not just med school, but any interview in general) is to think you're only evaluated when you're sitting down with the interviewer.

in general, i was on my best behavior from the moment i left my house to go to the airport for my departing flight, up until 20 minutes after i had unpacked my belongings on my arrival back home.

etf said:
in general, i was on my best behavior from the moment i left my house to go to the airport for my departing flight, up until 20 minutes after i had unpacked my belongings on my arrival back home.

This is always a good idea.

I had a flight snafu (electrical problems) on the way to one of my interviews and wound up having to fly to a different airport. The airline provided a car to drive myself and two other passengers who were in the same situation to our final destination.

One of the other passengers happened to be on the adcom of the school. :eek: You never know who you're going to run into on the way.

DoctorPardi said:

I think the "OMG Im a med student" feeling ended the first day. We started with anatomy, and they didnt even try to ease us into it. After 2 weeks, I feel like it has been a year...now the feeling is "damn, Im a med student" I cant go out this weekend. But Im loving it.

Medikit said:
You know him? I mean, he really is big tall and Russian.
are you at WFSOM? if so, then of course I know him. LabMonster knows who I'm talking about, and I went to school with the big Russian ;) for three years.

Labmonster, what is Wake Forest like? I plan to apply there, because I really like North Carolina, but I honestly don't know much about WF specifically.

DoctorPardi said:
Labmonster, what is Wake Forest like? I plan to apply there, because I really like North Carolina, but I honestly don't know much about WF specifically.
It's in a really small town, but my friend really liked it. I'll let el Monster answer though. :p

As for advice........CALL AND ASK FOR INTERVIEWS. You'd be surprised at how many schools won't bother giving you an interview if you don't express interest, Wake Forest being very near the top of that list.

Don't forget to look for scholarships. I missed the deadline for two of them, one of which I probably had a good chance of getting. I did get one little scholarship ($500, but every little bit helps), and I haven't heard on another.

Spend some extra time on your PS and your secondaries (the latter being more relevant to class of 2011 now). I zipped through them too fast, and I think it contributed to not hearing from 2-3 schools that I thought I'd hear from (my numbers exceeded their averages by an ample margin). That, and not calling/writing about my interest.

Lastly. I graduated summa cum laude and with a high MCAT. Med school's first week has already turned out to be really, really hard. They hurl a massive amount of material at you and wish you the best. DNA replication and transcription? One lecture. Learn it all!

TheProwler said:
It's in a really small town, but my friend really liked it. I'll let el Monster answer though. :p

As for advice........CALL AND ASK FOR INTERVIEWS. You'd be surprised at how many schools won't bother giving you an interview if you don't express interest, Wake Forest being very near the top of that list.

Don't forget to look for scholarships. I missed the deadline for two of them, one of which I probably had a good chance of getting. I did get one little scholarship ($500, but every little bit helps), and I haven't heard on another.

Do most schools have scholarships on their website? How do you even apply to them? Is it post acceptance, or do you apply while you're applying to get accepted to begin with?

Also, should I call and ask for an interview at every school that doesn't give me one immediately? What is the time frame, wait a few weeks then call?

Good stuff, thanks for the reply prowler.

DoctorPardi said:
Do most schools have scholarships on their website? How do you even apply to them? Is it post acceptance, or do you apply while you're applying to get accepted to begin with?

Also, should I call and ask for an interview at every school that doesn't give me one immediately? What is the time frame, wait a few weeks then call?

i'm curious about this too...wouldn't want to be annoying!

DoctorPardi said:

Actually, none of the scholarships were through my school - I don't know if they have any up for grabs other than the automatically granted institutional aid (didn't get any either).

Scholarship 1 - Phi Beta Kappa George Gay scholarship for grad/professional school (required a med school acceptance letter)
Scholarship 2 - my undergrad Biology Department graduating senior award (got that one)
Scholarship 3 - National Italian American Foundation scholarship for undergrad/grad/professional if you're Italian or studying it
Scholarship 4 - Wisconsin Medical Society for WI med students - it was posted at my undergrad

as for calling about interviews, I don't know when. I never did it! :oops: Take a look at the other threads saying when the interviews are granted (e.g., don't call MCW now - they haven't/won't give out interviews yet) relative to when the applications are complete. Try asking people at that school. At MCW (where I am), the director of admissions Mike Istwan actually checks and replies to his e-mails.

DoctorPardi said:

This can get you started...

Anyway - you want to know about the school? Umm, I would have turned any other school down with a Wake acceptance. This school, in it's entirety (and I can speak only for Wake Med) meaning upperclassmen, faculty, administrators, deans, EVERYONE wants you to succeed - and they want each other to succeed.

I could ramble on and on. If you have specific questions I'll answer those, otherwise PM me with your questions/concerns...

Back to arterial supply of the abdomen :D

MarzMD said:
I think the "OMG Im a med student" feeling ended the first day. We started with anatomy, and they didnt even try to ease us into it. After 2 weeks, I feel like it has been a year...now the feeling is "damn, Im a med student" I cant go out this weekend. But Im loving it.

Hehe at USF COM they dont' even start gross anat until the beginning of November.

They do the molecular block separately too.

LabMonster said:
This can get you started...

Anyway - you want to know about the school? Umm, I would have turned any other school down with a Wake acceptance. This school, in it's entirety (and I can speak only for Wake Med) meaning upperclassmen, faculty, administrators, deans, EVERYONE wants you to succeed - and they want each other to succeed.

I could ramble on and on. If you have specific questions I'll answer those, otherwise PM me with your questions/concerns...

Back to arterial supply of the abdomen :D

A few years ago a now 2nd year med student interviewed at WFUSOM.

He was telling me this really inspiring story that was like something out of Matt Damon's Goodwill Hunting.
Supposedly one of the Anat TAs was a janitor for the school and used to go in the labs and study the structures on his own. So one day someone from the school musta seen him doing it and challenged him to pass a test and he would give this person the funds for an education. The guy passed the test and got his Bachelor's and graduate degree in Anatomy and now TAs the med students. That's some craziness for you.

It is also living proof that they do want to see people succeed and a very noble thing that was done by those who funded this guy to get his education.

Just a random thought I wanted to post here.

Well, I am NOT in a class of 2010 anywhere, but I would be if I weren't a *****. So my advice is, APPLY TO MORE SCHOOLS THAN I DID THE FIRST TIME AROUND OR IF CIRCUMSTANCES AREN'T RIGHT FOR A FULL APPLICATION CYCLE, DON'T APPLY.

A few years ago a now 2nd year med student interviewed at WFUSOM.

He was telling me this really inspiring story that was like something out of Matt Damon's Goodwill Hunting.
Supposedly one of the Anat TAs was a janitor for the school and used to go in the labs and study the structures on his own. So one day someone from the school musta seen him doing it and challenged him to pass a test and he would give this person the funds for an education. The guy passed the test and got his Bachelor's and graduate degree in Anatomy and now TAs the med students. That's some craziness for you.

It is also living proof that they do want to see people succeed and a very noble thing that was done by those who funded this guy to get his education.

Just a random thought I wanted to post here.

Where ya at now Guju?

Did that help Pardi? Come on down, I'll give you a tour anytime - if you want to see the gross lab, give me a week to get it cleared - the donation program is viewed as sacred (as it should be) so I would need notice.

You don't think that people can see through your pre-med bulls*** (stocking bedsheets as "clinical experience", cleaning dishes in lab as "research", secretary of the premed club as "leadership"), but trust me, ADCOMs see it and they smell it. Please, don't even think about writing "I went to the hospital when I was 13, and that changed my life forever" for your personal statement.

You know, after reading a post by g3pro I often think to myself, "Good adive... or... best advice ever?"

:thumbup: :thumbup:

You know, after reading a post by g3pro I often think to myself, "Good adive... or... best advice ever?"

:thumbup: :thumbup:

No, it's true. He is right on this one. No amount of bull**** will get you through the interview - if you are an ass, they will know. If you slip through, and you are an ass, your classmates will know.