Class of 2010 To Do List Before School Starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Underdawg

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought it might be good to put together and talk about a checklist for those who will be attending D school in the fall. Put down anything and everything to make sure we have our ducks in a row. If there are any previous threads, feel free to throw down a link. I will list some to get started. Sure, it might vary for each school. Current D Students, is there anything you wish you had done or known before you started???

1. FAFSA / Loans
2. Housing
3. Collect Teeth
4. Physical and Shots
5. ......

Members don't see this ad.

Underdawg said:
Just thought it might be good to put together and talk about a checklist for those who will be attending D school in the fall. Put down anything and everything to make sure we have our ducks in a row. If there are any previous threads, feel free to throw down a link. I will list some to get started. Sure, it might vary for each school. Current D Students, is there anything you wish you had done or known before you started???

1. FAFSA / Loans
2. Housing
3. Collect Teeth
4. Physical and Shots
5. ......

Collect Teeth? Do all schools require this? Where do we find some?

xTonEx said:
Collect Teeth? Do all schools require this? Where do we find some?
Roadkills :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
sleep guys.. i sure ain't getting enough now:(

i'm expecting a vacation~ once dental school starts the chance of traveling is probably slim.

Yeah I think you have to collect almost 80 teeth for Tufts. I'm kinda disturbed by the teeth I have right now. People are going to think I've become really creepy. Oh wait, I have.

Also on my checklist, find roommates. And parking. And money for first and last and security. Ew.

Underdawg said:

1. FAFSA / Loans
2. Housing
3. Collect Teeth
4. Physical and Shots
5. ......

Collecting teeth? Any Buffalo students know about this? I will go to UB this year and just wondering if I should collect some. Thanks.

dentalguy6596 said:
Collecting teeth? Any Buffalo students know about this? I will go to UB this year and just wondering if I should collect some. Thanks.
They should notify you if you need to collect teeth along with your acceptance mail.

well....pass your classes and complete your degree requirements. That's pretty important don't you think?
Also, remember to send a final copy of your undergrad transcript to the school you are attending.

Are you guys serious about the collecting teeth? I've never heard of any schools requiring that. I thought you were all joking..

we have to for usc and my brother had to for nyu. this is one plus about having dad as a dentist. i already have more then enough teeth saved up. :D

dentalguy6596 said:

My dad started collecting teeth for me in the beginning of the year so you can have some of mine if you want! Anyways, i dont think buffalo makes you collect teeth, if they do ive never heard of it before.

Underdawg said:

1. FAFSA / Loans
2. Housing
3. Collect Teeth
4. Physical and Shots
5. ......

Other things to do would be (I got these from my ultra-organized wife):

5. Change address with gov't agencies, magazine subscriptions, cell phone carrier, friends & family, etc.
6. Cancel utilities. Set up utilities at new house.
7. Forward mail to new address.
8. Change any kind of insurance (car, homeowner's, renters, health, etc.)
9. Get new driver's license, cell phone, etc.
10. Sell or give away anything you don't want to bring with you.
11. Get all the wakeboarding & waterskiing you can get in before August. - most important one

Members don't see this ad :)
asd said:
My dad started collecting teeth for me in the beginning of the year so you can have some of mine if you want! Anyways, i dont think buffalo makes you collect teeth, if they do ive never heard of it before.

Thanks for the offer :) . I will call Barbara to check.

Lake Powell Lvr said:
Other things to do would be (I got these from my ultra-organized wife):

5. Change address with gov't agencies, magazine subscriptions, cell phone carrier, friends & family, etc.
6. Cancel utilities. Set up utilities at new house.
7. Forward mail to new address.
8. Change any kind of insurance (car, homeowner's, renters, health, etc.)
9. Get new driver's license, cell phone, etc.
10. Sell or give away anything you don't want to bring with you.
11. Get all the wakeboarding & waterskiing you can get in before August. - most important one

Tore my ACL last summer, would advise strongly against the wakeboarding.

STARCITY said:
Tore my ACL last summer, would advise strongly against the wakeboarding.
I feel your pain! I did the same thing playing high school football. You would be suprised how easy your ACL will blow with a 330 pound tongan hitting you below the knee. :laugh:

I did my ACL/MCL playing soccer last summer.

Yes you need to collect teeth (at least for most dental schools). Take jars to all the dentists and oral surgeons around where you live and pick them up every few months. The more teeth you have, the more discriminating you can be when selecting one for a lab project.

Also here is something I wish I knew when I was in your shoes. Putting the teeth in the recommended 1:10 bleach solution is worthless. It doesn't disinfect (they smell really bad), but it does destroy the teeth (especially the roots) over the course of a few months. If you can get access to it, USE FORMALIN. Studies have shown that it actually sterilizes the teeth inside and out, and does not harm the mechanical properties of the teeth.

If you live near your dental school, you might be able get formalin at the school form some of the professors. Endo professors are especially concerned with the quality of the teeth you collect. So go to your school's endo department with some empty jars and ask.

ou_jay said:
Yes you need to collect teeth (at least for most dental schools). Take jars to all the dentists and oral surgeons around where you live and pick them up every few months. The more teeth you have, the more discriminating you can be when selecting one for a lab project.

Also here is something I wish I knew when I was in your shoes. Putting the teeth in the recommended 1:10 bleach solution is worthless. It doesn't disinfect (they smell really bad), but it does destroy the teeth (especially the roots) over the course of a few months. If you can get access to it, USE FORMALIN. Studies have shown that it actually sterilizes the teeth inside and out, and does not harm the mechanical properties of the teeth.

If you live near your dental school, you might be able get formalin at the school form some of the professors. Endo professors are especially concerned with the quality of the teeth you collect. So go to your school's endo department with some empty jars and ask.

Is alcohol okay?

Also, things to add to the Preparation List:

12. Get to know your new city...public transportation, good places to eat, grocery stores, meet some NON-DENTAL people! :D

13. Check out Craig's List for your city for apartments, furniture, jobs for spouse, community forums, etc.

14. Sell all the things you won't bring on eBay :)

15. Hang out with your friends where you currently live as much as possible! See everyone so much that you look forward to leaving them for four years :D

16. Save $$$$$$

thanks for letting me know. would the dental school tell us if we need to collect teeth or was it something we were supposed to know already?

emthichrangdep said:
Are you guys serious about the collecting teeth? I've never heard of any schools requiring that. I thought you were all joking..

Is there any school that doesn't require you to collect teeth?

Is it required in Columbia?

I have to finish my maters thesis and submit it.

I think the Canadian schools don't require you to collect. But I know Tufts does. :mad: .....whatever

crazy_sherm said:
Is there any school that doesn't require you to collect teeth?

Case hasn't told me to collect teeth. but whatever, i've already been doing it for fun ;)

Underdawg said:

1. FAFSA / Loans
2. Housing
3. Collect Teeth
4. Physical and Shots
5. ......

thanks for copying my post. you copy alot?

Lidopaine82 said:
Case hasn't told me to collect teeth. but whatever, i've already been doing it for fun ;)

collecting teeth is not required at CASE, the department has a tooth library where you can study teeth for Identification. in any projects requiring teeth, you can request for them at the oral surgery dept, or perio dept ( comes all equiped with calculus, just make sure you sterilize it)

but i heard rumor that the tooth ID exam at CASE is going to be do away with next year, so maybe you wont have to ID teeth at all. which is good, bc its time consuming studying teeth morphology and IDing it, however, the upside is, after studying for a tooth ID practical exam, i knew the teeth morphology or every teeth cold!

STARCITY said:
thanks for copying my post. you copy alot?

Starcity,

Some people don’t think before they talk (or type in this case). I opened my thread on 02-22-2006 at 02:56 AM. You began your thread on 02-22-2006 at 08:06 PM. I will do the math so as not to confuse you…my thread was started 17 hours before yours. Hopefully you are able to follow this logic. It is no wonder that your dad had to get you into dental school. I will assume that you weren’t copying mine because that would just be stupid, wouldn’t it Starcity? Do us all a favor and remove yourself from the gene pool.

Some of you may feel that I am a little harsh on Starcity but you wouldn't think so if you read the pm he sent me. He is either a troll or an idiot....but probably both.