HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
First thing's first... I've started buying books. I'm not shelling out tons of cash or anything, but I am looking out on Amazon.com for good deals on books that I am fairly certain I will need. I am not spending more than $50 on any book until school starts. That is my guideline.

I have purchased the following:

- BRS Phys
- Rapid Review Path
- Rohen's Anatomy
- Netter's Anatomy (this is actually left over from undergrad anatomy)
- First Aid 2008
- Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously easy (awesome book)

I think I might have one or two more. I've paid $20-30 for most of them by looking in the right places and being patient.

Looking through these books, I've come to the conclusion that we all have our work cut out for us. I mean there is a **** ton of information that we are going to have to learn. The volume is such that I see why everyone says not to bother studying before getting to school. There is just no way to make a dent.

On the other hand, I did have one resident (PCOM grad, at that, and one of the best residents we've had in recent memory) tell me to hit the books now and get a head start. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing much of this though. I just don't see a point in it.

Having said that... everyone who keeps telling me to "enjoy my free time"... **** YOU!!!! I work 50-70 hours/week at two jobs. This mythical "free time" you keep telling me about is simply a construct of your overactive imagination. Bring on school.

slim78

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've started studying biochem. I never took it in undergrad and so even though they say not to bother studying before school, I want to at least know my arse from my pie hole (or whatever the biochem equivolent is).

That is really the only class I SERIOUSLY worry about, so if nothing else at least it helps calm my nerves a bit.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Biochem is awesome. One of my favorite undergrad classes. I took two semesters of it, and it really tied together everything I learned about metabolism as a kinesiology major.

About the Ads

LauraDO

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've started studying biochem. I never took it in undergrad and so even though they say not to bother studying before school, I want to at least know my arse from my pie hole (or whatever the biochem equivolent is).

That is really the only class I SERIOUSLY worry about, so if nothing else at least it helps calm my nerves a bit.

I am taking biochem right now slim, if you want I will let you do some of my homework?

I know, I know, no need for thanks, I am just really looking out for you!

DC DOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2007
Believeland
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I inherited from my brother-in-law a bunch of old USMLE review books and some others like: Phys, Biochem, Mosby's Diagnostics, and pharm. I have been looking at them just to see what the material is like, but nothing too serious. I am more worried about being completely ready to 24/7 study all the time and getting everything that I need to take care of before we take off and go: Fin Aid, housing, medicaid, food stamps, you know the works.

endocardium

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Having said that... everyone who keeps telling me to "enjoy my free time"... **** YOU!!!! I work 50-70 hours/week at two jobs. This mythical "free time" you keep telling me about is simply a construct of your overactive imagination. Bring on school.

So what? It's still more free time than you'll get in medical school. While it's true that people's study habits will vary (there is always that group of people that can party up a storm and still somehow do okay in their classes...how they do it is beyond me), but for the most part, people do a considerable amount of studying in medical school, likely more than you are accustomed to. Anyway, it isn't even that you are spending a lot of time studying, it's that you are thinking about school all the time... You can't escape it, no matter what you do, even when you are drinking with your buddies. Even when you are on top of things, you still think you should be studying, so your mind isn't free to relax very often. The pressure is pretty constant. School always tends to be in the back of your mind.

Anyway, enjoy being carefree of school for a bit, even if you are working as much as you are. At least you don't have that ever-looming feeling in your mind all the time... It gets to the point where you almost totally forget how to have fun, even when you do have time off. No joke, you almost feel guilty for taking time off. I'm no stranger to hard work (I'm used to working 120 hour work weeks) and medical school has eaten my soul slowly, in some considerable ways.

I don't mean to scare you, because it ends up being okay. You learn to adapt and do fine; you find the time to do stuff you need to do and like to do. Eventually, you learn how to relax a bit in the midst of the craziness, mostly because you learn to be okay with a certain level of performance.

You'll probably understand what I am saying when you are deep into school. You might look back at your words and wonder if you were ever that carefree...

Anyway, good choice in books, so far. Don't buy textbooks until you've talked to some upperclassmen and figured out what you actually need. In my schooling, I haven't been big on books. I use them if I don't understand something and need further clarification. Most of the time, I find the class notes to be sufficient.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I absolutely agree with endo. I was working two jobs and was a full-time Mom with no family around to help out other than my husband who also worked full-time (and then some), and med school makes that look like a vacation.

*sigh*. i got SO much more sleep when my children were babies than I do in med school. Then again, now that i'm about done with second year, I long for the easy days of gross anatomy. :laugh:

I wish I were kidding. Time becomes so precious you listen to lectures at home on double speed because normal speed is just too darn slow and you have way too much to get done. On the other hand, i'm trying to get through class and have time for board prep, my kids, my husband, the house, shopping, cooking, etc. etc.

nascardoc

Daddy to 2 kiddos
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Livonia, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
First thing's first... I've started buying books. I'm not shelling out tons of cash or anything, but I am looking out on Amazon.com for good deals on books that I am fairly certain I will need. I am not spending more than $50 on any book until school starts. That is my guideline.

I have purchased the following:

- BRS Phys
- Rapid Review Path
- Rohen's Anatomy
- Netter's Anatomy (this is actually left over from undergrad anatomy)
- First Aid 2008
- Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously easy (awesome book)

I think I might have one or two more. I've paid $20-30 for most of them by looking in the right places and being patient.

Looking through these books, I've come to the conclusion that we all have our work cut out for us. I mean there is a **** ton of information that we are going to have to learn. The volume is such that I see why everyone says not to bother studying before getting to school. There is just no way to make a dent.

On the other hand, I did have one resident (PCOM grad, at that, and one of the best residents we've had in recent memory) tell me to hit the books now and get a head start. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing much of this though. I just don't see a point in it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny. Like endocardium and shy said, you think about school all the time, let alone study. And I would suggest taking time off work before school to enjoy this free time we talk about b/c you won't have the free time you think you will in school, in fact, your hours will be fairly similar, more so at test time. You won't regret it if you do take that vacation time, trust me. And look at who is giving you the advice, medical students......we know how it really is in school.

Remember, no one is trying to belittle you by saying to take time off, but you come across like this med school thing is a cake walk. If that is the case, you better where you cup b/c school is gonna kick you in the junk.

PistolPete

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't know how people manage to raise kids and still manage to study and pass all their medical school classes.

I guess it gives a whole new meaning to time management. Hats off to you, ShyRem (and other parents).

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I should add that one of my jobs is full-time night shift at the regional trauma center ER. My sleep schedule is all kinds of ****ed up. In fact, I'm at work now.

endocardium

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I should add that one of my jobs is full-time night shift at the regional trauma center ER. My sleep schedule is all kinds of ****ed up. In fact, I'm at work now.

Yeah, I think I understand a bit where you are coming from. I did night shift for a few years and screwed up my sleep schedule during those years. Look at it as practice for the q3 call you might have to pull during rotations and beyond.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd take at least a few weeks off before school starts, more if you can. In fact, take as much time off as you can. You will be thanking yourself in spades later on... You should go in as refreshed as you can be...believe me, you'll need all the energy you can gather for the start of first year.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Furthermore, I have no family or kids to provide me with additional bull****. It will be a great day when I can, for the first time since high school, worry about nothing but school.

Yes, I know its going to be hard, and constant studying and thinking about school. I can live with that. Right now, there is so much I have to deal with that I just don't care about that it is driving me nuts.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am taking off a couple weeks before school starts. There is a race I want to do in that time too.

If I can stay healthy, I'll be able to spend some time outdoors, which I love.

About the Ads

Thantis

Insert Custom User Title
10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Here is an invaluable book purchasing resource I have used in undergrad and for my MPH days: http://www.campusi.com

(Now don't buy all the cheaper books until after I get my acceptance...dream of dreams).

endocardium

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Furthermore, I have no family or kids to provide me with additional bull****. It will be a great day when I can, for the first time since high school, worry about nothing but school.

Yes, I know its going to be hard, and constant studying and thinking about school. I can live with that. Right now, there is so much I have to deal with that I just don't care about that it is driving me nuts.

Believe me, I've been there... I still say medical school is much worse. Anyway, it's hard to explain if you've never experienced it. The culture is pervasive. You begin to hate it in some ways because it invades your life like a virus...

Anyway, I don't know about everyone else, but I lived in almost constant fear of not being able to keep up, of not doing well in school, of never being able to squeeze all the information into my brain fast enough... It's like the floor is moving fast beneath you and if you don't keep up, you'll fall hard and never be able to catch up. Sometimes, I felt I wasn't going to pass something or another. I was never tested like that before and I've managed multi-million dollar deals where everything was at risk. Eventually you learn to become comfortable with the craziness, but not before it kicks you in the groin a few times.

The point is that you should endeavor to enjoy the time you have, which isn't filled with the craziness of medical school. :)

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The "feeling" of being in medical school is kind of like this:

Every waking moment you realize that you have a 75 page paper due tomorrow and you haven't even picked a topic yet. This paper counts for 100% of your final grade and if you don't pass it you have to start back over from pre-school and do it all over again. Plus, they'll cut both hands off just to make it a little harder this time.

You can't eat, sleep, drive, or even go to the bathroom without thinking that you are behind and you should be studying. Every time you make a decision (including whether or not to cross the street in traffic) you'll be wondering if you studied hard enough.

The only good thing is that everyone else feels that way too. Eventually, you'll settle into a routine.... but it really sucks at first. It's your brain that never really gets to rest. Rest it while you can.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Here's the difference I see, and knowing a little about myself and what motivates me, I think this will be big:

With my work at the hospital, it is enjoyable and relatively stress-free. My main complaint is that I don't get much quality sleep when I'm working.

My work at the gym is another story. This is what pays the bills. I am the most expensive trainer at my gym, and I work 15-25 hours/week there, and my paychecks are more than the ones I get from the hospital. At the same time, it is tedious, with these stupid sales goals constantly being pushed on me. I hate that ****. Its like a combination of Globo Gym and Office Space.

When I first started working there, and up until about 6-8 months ago, the training staff was great. We had some really awesome trainers, and it was fun for me. Now, there are only a couple who are worth a ****. That is also frustrating.

Basically, I am working with no goals that I care about in mind. With med school, at least there will be something to work towards. Right now, not only am I working a lot, but I'm not working towards anything.

As for the pressure, bring it on. I perform well under pressure. Yeah, yeah, I know, I've never experienced anything like it before. It can't get here soon enough.

nascardoc

Daddy to 2 kiddos
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Livonia, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Every waking moment you realize that you have a 75 page paper due tomorrow and you haven't even picked a topic yet. This paper counts for 100% of your final grade and if you don't pass it you have to start back over from pre-school and do it all over again. Plus, they'll cut both hands off just to make it a little harder this time.

You can't eat, sleep, drive, or even go to the bathroom without thinking that you are behind and you should be studying. Every time you make a decision (including whether or not to cross the street in traffic) you'll be wondering if you studied hard enough.

The only good thing is that everyone else feels that way too. Eventually, you'll settle into a routine.... but it really sucks at first. It's your brain that never really gets to rest. Rest it while you can.

Yeah....that's how it is....straight up :thumbup:

But somehow, among all the chaos, it has been the most enjoyable school year of my life....awesome wife, awesome friends, awesome school.

Kateb4

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Chicagoland
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
*sigh*. i got SO much more sleep when my children were babies than I do in med school. Then again, now that i'm about done with second year, I long for the easy days of gross anatomy. :laugh:

:(

What did I get myself into? If I have to compound the sleeplessness of having a baby and med school, I may be a real [email protected]!% to have to be around.

Thantis

Insert Custom User Title
10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I would really like to hear the views and schedules of the people who party alot (which endo had mentioned previously). Just want to see the range and get some perspective. Hearing all this is daunting, but all good things come with great toil and hard work.

nascardoc

Daddy to 2 kiddos
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Livonia, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Here's the difference I see, and knowing a little about myself and what motivates me, I think this will be big:

With my work at the hospital, it is enjoyable and relatively stress-free. My main complaint is that I don't get much quality sleep when I'm working.

My work at the gym is another story. This is what pays the bills. I am the most expensive trainer at my gym, and I work 15-25 hours/week there, and my paychecks are more than the ones I get from the hospital. At the same time, it is tedious, with these stupid sales goals constantly being pushed on me. I hate that ****. Its like a combination of Globo Gym and Office Space.

When I first started working there, and up until about 6-8 months ago, the training staff was great. We had some really awesome trainers, and it was fun for me. Now, there are only a couple who are worth a ****. That is also frustrating.

Basically, I am working with no goals that I care about in mind. With med school, at least there will be something to work towards. Right now, not only am I working a lot, but I'm not working towards anything.

As for the pressure, bring it on. I perform well under pressure. Yeah, yeah, I know, I've never experienced anything like it before. It can't get here soon enough.

Why couldn't you have said it like this before.....you don't come across so pompous and arrogant. Granted, we know it was partly in fun, but what you wrote here makes sense and is understandable. Yes, med school can be one of the best times in your life (and it has for me and others in my class), but it is a ton of hard work, and different from anything else one can experience. If you go into school with this mentality, you will be OK, both academically and socially. But if you go into school with guns blazing, kicking down doors and saying bring this on and F-you, it won't be much fun and people won't like you....at all.

Bonsante

Avalokiteśvara's Emperor
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
About the Ads

nascardoc

Daddy to 2 kiddos
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Livonia, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would really like to hear the views and schedules of the people who party alot (which endo had mentioned previously). Just want to see the range and get some perspective. Hearing all this is daunting, but all good things come with great toil and hard work.

Oh, you definitely will be able to go out....thats not an issue at all. In fact, after our test tomorrow, there are a group of people going to a classmate's house to play guitar hero and rock bank all night. Then the next night, SOMA is thorwing a vdeo game night at school. So, there won't be any studying getting done by anyone at school for the next couple of days. But its definitely not undergrad where you could do whatever, whenever. There is a lot more time management now, and as long as you do that, going out won't be an issue. I don't go out all the time, but I hang out with and study with great people. Honestly, this has been the most fun I have ever had in school, at any level. So things are NOT all doom and gloom.....nothing close to that....just a lot of stress. :D

I think what I, and the other med students who replied, had an issue with was the way the last paragraph came across in TT's first post. It seemed as if this whole med school thing was nothing to sneeze at. I think he mixed a little too much sarcasm with true feelings (which he talked about just a post or two above) and it just came across a little too strong. No harm, no foul....just TT. :)

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Nascar: I have never had a problem with people liking me. That doesn't worry me one bit. You can take my post for what it is, or you can take it too seriously if you want to and get upset about it.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Nascar: I have never had a problem with people liking me. That doesn't worry me one bit. You can take my post for what it is, or you can take it too seriously if you want to and get upset about it.

Nah, it's nothing to get upset about. We want the best for you and all the other incoming first years. We want you to have the benefit of our experience. Look at it like, "what I would tell myself if I could do it all over again," kind of thing.

Ki45toryu

In this corner...
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I thought about studying the summer before...then decided not to. I'm glad I didn't. It wouldn't have made a difference anyways.

I was coming straight from undergrad, and it was actually my first summer off...and it was great.

For anyone coming straight from undergrad, I would say take it off.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If I was coming straight from undergrad, that's exactly what I'd do. My fun was mostly the last year or two. I started doing triathlons, I partied all the time, etc.

Now I'm working all the time. I want to save some money to buy some stuff before I move, and I'd like to try and pay down some of my car.

bravesfan113

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
GA
Status (Visible)
how do you guys study without getting sleep? if i don't sleep, i can do a lot of things perfectly fine. any job i have ever had... waiting tables, vending, manual labor, working at a hospital, or even going to class

but the one thing i can't do when i don't sleep is study. i am terrible at studying if i am tired. trying to study on little sleep is pretty much worthless for me, and i might as well take a nap and just study less but more efficiently.

i like my sleep too. i'm talking 7+ hours. any less than 7 and i've gotta nap if i'm gonna try and hit the books.

everyone talks about sleepless night in medical school. i'm fine with all nighters/sleeping 3 or 4 hours the night before a test... but i can only do it right before i take a test and there's no way i can study the next day. i'm a zombie

how do you guys deal with this? it's the main thing i'm worried about w/ med school :confused:

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
how do you guys study without getting sleep? if i don't sleep, i can do a lot of things perfectly fine. any job i have ever had... waiting tables, vending, manual labor, working at a hospital, or even going to class

You'll be able to sleep. It's not like you're going to have to limit yourself to 4 hours each night. The BIGGEST thing in my mind is to manage your time wisely and then you'll have time to exercise, sleep, have a little free time here and there. True, you may not be able to get 7+ hours each night, but in order to study well you WILL need to get enough sleep. I probably average 5-6 hours each night (more if I'm sleeping in on a weekend) without any problems.

fireflygirl

The Ultimate Blindian
10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would like to do some general review as well before I begin but all my first and second year friends have told me that it isn't worth it since the depth you will go into within the first few weeks is just so far beyond what I could do on my own. However, I am taking biochem right now and I have been advised to pick up a good anatomy atlas or website and become familiar with terminology. Otherwise I am looking forward to traveling and working for most of the summer :D

Punchap

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Florida
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

:(

What did I get myself into? If I have to compound the sleeplessness of having a baby and med school, I may be a real [email protected]!% to have to be around.

Hehe...Kate, you can be my lab partner. :) I'll take one for the LECOM-B team. J/k ;)

About the Ads

sunny08

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

I feel your pain. Rotating shift work.
7 days of 1103-2330
1.5 days off
7 days of 1930-0730
2 days off
7 days of 0730-1930
2.5 days off.
4 days of 0630-1630
4 days off.

PLUS all the extra hours that aren't factored into the schedule. Ends up being between 70 and 120 hours per week. I lose all track of days. What day is today, again?:sleep:

DannMann99

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I believe it would be your 'arse' from your active site...

MLT2MT2DO

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
gl C/O 2012, I hope the following class is as informative and interesting as you all, as I continue to buzz around the boards waiting my turn.

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would like to do some general review as well before I begin but all my first and second year friends have told me that it isn't worth it since the depth you will go into within the first few weeks is just so far beyond what I could do on my own...

In the first five days of class we had 20 lectures and 4 Anatomy labs. Our reading assignments were 113 pages of Anatomy, 7 chapters of Histology, 5 chapters of Embryo, and some OMM and Clinical Exam reading as well. Keep in mind that this isn't just reading. You are expected to know everything in it-- every minute sentence and every chart and highlited box is fair game for testing purposes. We flew through all the stuff you could ever review in the first two hours. Just have fun this summer.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
The Edge. Pushing the Envelope
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Great, just like my undergrad experience .

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

You and I seem to be a lot alike, except for the fact that you're in shape, and I'm not. :)

Trust me when I say this, there will be days when you wonder what it woul be like to be back to only working 50-70 hrs. a week in a meaningless job that PAID.

You will be ready for a break a year from now.

But, it's SO worth it. That's something I know with every bone in my body. Every time I think about what I was thinking giving up my cush job and my trips to football games and bball games and going to the lake every weekend...having every weekend off, spending time with my wife, etc...I have to remind myself how miserable I was while at work and remember how fortunate I am to have been given the opportunity I've been blessed with.

Oh, and enjoy your free time...cause there will be a day that comes (like today for me) when you have free time, and you have no idea what to do with it.

rockdascrubs786

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
hmmmm, i intend to work a little and enjoy my time relaxing. I will play a ton of xbox360, relax/pick up girls at the beach and hangout with friends and family b/c my *** will be 700+ miles away starting mid july. lol

VALSALVA

**** or get off the pot
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I agree that a lot of people have this type of experience. However, some folks don't study, stress, obsess or lament as much as others. I know this for a fact. I played a hell of a lot of golf during med. school - more than I did during undergrad...and I did just fine. There's no telling the type of med student you'll be until you begin and get a feel for things.

jp104

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
NYC
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I agree that a lot of people have this type of experience. However, some folks don't study, stress, obsess or lament as much as others. I know this for a fact. I played a hell of a lot of golf during med. school - more than I did during undergrad...and I did just fine. There's no telling the type of med student you'll be until you begin and get a feel for things.

I think it depends on the grading system a school has as well. We have pass/fail and once you realize you'll never get honors the stress decreases dramatically. I typically have 1-2 weeks of total slacking with 1-2 weeks of abject terror per month :)

Flushot

10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
In the first five days of class we had 20 lectures and 4 Anatomy labs. Our reading assignments were 113 pages of Anatomy, 7 chapters of Histology, 5 chapters of Embryo, and some OMM and Clinical Exam reading as well. Keep in mind that this isn't just reading. You are expected to know everything in it-- every minute sentence and every chart and highlited box is fair game for testing purposes. We flew through all the stuff you could ever review in the first two hours. Just have fun this summer.

How do you work through this? I mean, sure set up a schedule and take it little by little, but I don't know how I can fathom it until I actually do it. I'm guessing this is the ultimate case?

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
How do you work through this? I mean, sure set up a schedule and take it little by little, but I don't know how I can fathom it until I actually do it. I'm guessing this is the ultimate case?

No secret or special way. I was a procrastinator in undergrad, so the big thing for me is just to not get behind and treat it as my full time job and study each day. If you manage your time well and actually spend good quality time studying when you do study then you'll be able to make time for other things in life. But there's no secret, just do what you can each day and realize that you just will not know it all. Also depends on your curriculum. I especially can't let myself get behind here because each test usually covers anywhere from 20-40 chapters of material and it's all from our actual textbooks that I have to read. There's just no way to way until a week or two before the test to try and get through all that stuff.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
The Edge. Pushing the Envelope
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

THe D.O. I shadowed is a really laid-back kinda guy. I was talking to him about medschool and prepping for boards. He replied to something along the lines of " I really didnt stress at all for boards or anything really, I really tried not to worry a whole lot about anything. Actually I played a lot of softball with my wife. By the way, the guys/gals who graduate at the top of the class, they're weird." :laugh:

VALSALVA

**** or get off the pot
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
THe D.O. I shadowed is a really laid-back kinda guy. I was talking to him about medschool and prepping for boards. He replied to something along the lines of " I really didnt stress at all for boards or anything really, I really tried not to rry a whole lot about anything. Actually I played a lot of softball with my wife. By the way, the guys/gals who graduate at the top of the class, they're weird." :laugh:

Hey now! Don't be hatin'. At least to me, it seemed like the folks who actively maintained hobbies and had fun finished towards the top of the class and ended up matching to a lot of great residencies. It was the students that struggled that seemed to be studying obsessively, stressing, struggling, etc.

The guy that finished #1 in my class drank regularly on weekdays and was typically my playing partner out on the golf course (2-6 times a week depending on exam schedule). And, we NEVER talked shop out on the course.

fireflygirl

The Ultimate Blindian
10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Yeah this is exactly the kind of stuff that I hear from other friends. I guess it makes me more comfortable with the travel plans I have this summer but at the same time, it makes me so nervous about how to even think about comprehending all this information once I get started. **sigh** I guess I'll just deal with it like everyone else does once I get started :rolleyes:

Punchap

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Florida
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I really enjoy my free time, so much that I'm afraid I won't be able to take pleasure in all the things I would ordinarily do with it like pleasure reading, drawing, taking my dog for a walk, etc. when I know that I have a million things to be studying during medical school. Have any of you been able to successfully push med school out of your mind long enough to enjoy a good movie, do a sudoku puzzle or sleep in on occasion?

This balance is really important to my well-being, and I'm afraid I won't adjust well to all medical school all the time. It's not that I'm lazy, I just want to have some balance in my life without constant guilt.

Hmmm...any thoughts?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads