Class of 2012 Match Thread - Where are you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitlnoize

Rock God
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go! Best of luck to everyone! See you guys around 12-1pm!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Here we go! Best of luck to everyone! See you guys around 12-1pm!!!

won't postin where we land ruin our future anonymity..?? not that it's a huge deal as we arleady posted our ROLs, but just sayin most of the residents and attendings on here wanna remain anomymous so will it be going against the SDN Psychiatry forum grain to be relinquishing our own anonymity on here? On another note, wish me luck on being able to maintain my undivided focus/attention in the MICU this AM..I almost wished I called in, but in a way I'm glad I didn't cuz it should *hopefully* help the time pass (though sleep might've worked just as well..) and plus I'm able to get a head start on seeing all the outlandish St. Patrick's Day apparel on staff to start preparing for what's sure to be a very fun St. Patrick's weekend..:luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
won't postin where we land ruin our future anonymity..??

Maybe, but many of us have already lost our anonymity. At some point I'll probably start over with a new attending account, but for now I don't care that much.

Maybe, but many of us have already lost our anonymity. At some point I'll probably start over with a new attending account, but for now I don't care that much.

At this point in your career, it's probably best practice to post such that you wouldn't be ashamed to have it associated with your real identity. You're never as anonymous as you think you are in this day and age, anyway. Try to post as though your chair (whoever that will be after noon today!) is reading your musings with his/her morning coffee (or evening scotch).

Hope everyone has happy news today!

Try to post as though your chair (whoever that will be after noon today!) is reading your musings with his/her morning coffee (or evening scotch).
This bears repeating. It's also worth remembering that most chairs grew up with social networking (hell, the Internet) as very much a second language unlike most folks matching now. While "It's just Facebook/SDN/The Well..." may have meaning to you, to many others, written word is written word.

I only stay anonymous-ish because my PD asked me to. The day I become an attending, if I'm at another institution, I may very well start dropping names. But I am by and large happy about my program and especially fellowship, so even if I did have things to say, they'd be pretty warm.

I guess I'll start. Matched to MUSC and couldn't be happier! It's where my gut said I should be all along. I'm a very happy man (or woman since we're all suddenly so worried about anonymity ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)
I wont publicly disclose where I matched except to say I am very happy and will be even happier once I unionize the housestaff! (if for some reason you are interested I would be happy to say where I matched privately)

I will as promised now publish my FAQs for IMGs wanting to apply to top psychiatry programs as there are many threads asking the same things.

I wont publicly disclose where I matched

I guess we will never know what the #10 program to avoid is . . . .

Just a reminder:

*DISCLAIMER: Like other rankings, this is purely arbitrary, shamelessly controversial and inflammatory journalism - please take with a pinch of salt, a lime, and a shot of tequila*

There have been many attempts to rank the best, but what about the rest? Well some of these programs deserve to be on this list, however a few of the top programs have deliberately been included to provoke ire in residents and insecurity in applicants! These rankings are based on rumors, half-truths, hear ‘say, and gossip!

Don't take too seriously!

I wont publicly disclose where I matched except to say I am very happy and will be even happier once I unionize the housestaff! (if for some reason you are interested I would be happy to say where I matched privately)

I will as promised now publish my FAQs for IMGs wanting to apply to top psychiatry programs as there are many threads asking the same things.

If you really do decide to unionize the housestaff let me know! We can work together try a pincer attack on our various programs. My other dream is to demolish the NRMP.

If you really do decide to unionize the housestaff let me know! We can work together try a pincer attack on our various programs. My other dream is to demolish the NRMP.

oh i really do! my program has been trying (and failed) to unionize for the last 40 years (when they first threatened to go on strike) - what they need a european marxist to step up to the challenge! there are a number of unionized programs (e.g. michigan, cambridge) - i think all programs should join the CIR (http://www.cirseiu.org/). at my previous program back in my home country, when they overworked us and tried to bully us into lying about the hours we were working we successfully beat them AND secured a 10% salary rise to take into account the additional hours that were worked. When you consider the revenues generated for hospitals using residents as manpower and cannon fodder, arguments about medicare funding become untenable. Residency can be a gruesome time that not only includes various transitions in life, it also places high demands on individuals. Despite spiraling tuition fees and other costs related to undergraduate medical education, residency salaries remain low. If healthcare reform is successful (and i hope so) there will be a decrease in earning potential following residency. This should be accompanied by an increase in salary during residency considering one argument for keeping residency salaries (or 'stipends' as some have called them) low has been the promise of riches afterwards.

As a bare minimum all residency programs should:

• have 4 weeks of vacation a year
  • 1 week of professional leave a year
  • reimburse the cost of step 3
  • have pay progression that accounts for the increased responsibility with each year of training
  • renumerate residents for emergency call cover
  • match retirement contributions
  • offer medical, dental, mental health, vision, and long and short-term disability insurance, the majority or totality of which should be paid for by the hospital
  • an educational stipend of at least $1500 or a suitable salary increase

won't postin where we land ruin our future anonymity..

OPD and I will be hosting an anonymity party and all of the posters at SDN are invited where everyone shows up wearing masks.......

AND THAT'S IT, NOTHING ELSE. The password to get in is "Fidelio" and please, do tip blindfolded the piano player and consider getting rid of unsightly body hair before you enter.

Yes I am joking.

As our wise moderator said, you really shouldn't put anything on the Internet that you wouldn't be able to back had your identity been publicly known. It's something the APA is endorsing because our patients may obtain information about us and it could hurt the treatment relationship. Employers sometimes can get hold of data of a person through the Internet and use it against that person during job interviews, and frankly speaking, most trollers that initiate flame-wars on message forums wouldn't dare pull that type if they could be held accountable for it at their place of work. (Yep, I'm pretty much saying that trollers are usually cowards).

Last edited:
As our wise moderator said, you really shouldn't put anything on the Internet that you wouldn't be able to back had your identity been publicly known. It's something the APA is endorsing because our patients may obtain information about us and it could hurt the treatment relationship. Employers sometimes can get hold of data of a person through the Internet and use it against that person during job interviews, and frankly speaking, most trollers that initiate flame-wars on message forums wouldn't dare pull that type if they could be held accountable for it at their place of work. (Yep, I'm pretty much saying that trollers are usually cowards).

And then there are those that just don't give a four X.

PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT LOOK AT THE VIDEOS BELOW IF YOU WOULD BE OFFENDED BY SEEING A PSYCHIATRIST BOUNCING AROUND A BED IN HIS UNDERPANTS. (not so much the fact that it's a psychiatrist but the underpants are pretty nasty and could offend imo)

(I think Dr.Of Mind got into a bit of trouble over this but not that much)

http://www.lasvegassun.com/videos/2010/mar/23/3718/

http://www.lasvegassun.com/videos/2010/mar/23/3724/

Last edited:
I'm really surprised by the lack of participation in this thread. I was curious where all the faceless names of the forum would end up.

I'm really surprised by the lack of participation in this thread. I was curious where all the faceless names of the forum would end up.

I'm surprised too! Maybe all that talk from our deans about being circumspect and professional in the 'net has finally caught on. It's probably a good thing. I think I'm savvy enough not to say anything on the internet that I wouldn't say publicly. I like the freedom of sharing and exploring ideas that the internet generates - most of the dialog in this forum reminds me of high spirited coffee-shop discussions among passionate, good natured people.

Me, too. I've got to say I'm a little disappointed because I think we should be able to be open about things like where we're going. I'm not a big fan of internet paranoia, but then I guess I'm unprofessional or whatever.

Me, too. I've got to say I'm a little disappointed because I think we should be able to be open about things like where we're going. I'm not a big fan of internet paranoia, but then I guess I'm unprofessional or whatever.

What gets me is that people are paranoid about posting where they'll be doing residency, but then they go and post in some other SDN forum about how much they love the UK basketball team and are going to go to sooo many games...or whatever.

I don't care so much about people (on SDN, at least) knowing who I am. I just try not to say anything stupid, hahaha. Key word is try.

Do I post my opinions? Sure. But, they're things like, "Medical education needs to be re-tooled, but I don't know how to do it..." Well, duh. Almost everyone agrees with that. I'm not going to go posting about my abortion views, or any other controversial topic.

I'm also not going to post any pics of me celebrating and drinking on St. Patrick's Day. No. Because I'm old and I don't do that anymore. :ninja:

This anonymity issue never seemed to be an issue in previous years.

This anonymity issue never seemed to be an issue in previous years.
Better training? Med schools now typically have a lecture at some point about the danger of making yourself too public online as patients (or their lawyers) can search and bring out comments made. I would think we'll see folks with a much better sense of privacy in the coming years. A few years back folks thought nothing of posting their email address online too.

To each their own. It's likely not that hard for anyone to figure out where any regular poster is doing residency or working (if they're in academia), but I can see why you wouldn't advertise it directly too.

***redacted***

Last edited:
Congrats (on yielding to peer pressure!, and on matching into your number 1 too I guess)

Matched at Harbor-UCLA !!

Here's my biased summary to be fair for all those who shared reviews:

Amazing choice for many reasons. You see and treat everything. Great morale - tight family among residents and faculty. PDs have decades of experience and step up for residents. Small class. Among the best emergency / CL / critical psychiatric training in the country. Start seeing patients in 2nd year. Exposure to private patients as well. All access to UCLA-NPI in 4th year for further training and private networking. No big egos. LAX airport catchment so can fly patients to various countries. Eligible for govt holidays and pension. You get the UCLA name which is the most respected in the southwest. Amazing psychodynamic training from a leader in CBT - the Secretary for the Academy of Cognitive Therapy who is also on the executive board of the International Association for Cognitive Therapy (IACP). You get DBT, CBASP, ACT and phenomenology training as well. Meals are paid for. High moonlighting salary. Location near the beach - easy reach to Hollywood and the OC. You come away ready to handle the worst psychiatric cases without sweating. I like that. Ok I will stop there. Good luck everyone!

is the unfilled program list still top-secret? just curious...

The full list of programs is on the NRMP site. Once you log In its under one if the report links. You can look at specific programs and specialities to see what didn't fill, but there is not an "unfilled" list.

Anyone match at University of Mississippi? What were your thoughts at the interview?