Class of 2015 TEXAS A&M HSC!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorforlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please join if you will be attending TAMHSC for Class of 2015!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a pre-match, so as of right now I will be attending! It's possible that I might rank something higher depending on what city my SO will be in, but I would be happy to be in this class when all is said and done.

I might be in this class too!!! Still trying to decide on all my match ranks and such. I am setting time aside this weekend to start that...but I would be REALLY excited to come here. Does anyone happen to know how I go about doing a second look on the other campus I didn't interview at?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got prematched, but I am currently considering another school. Well see what the financial incentives are.

Who is going with me!?!?!?

I might be in this class too!!! Still trying to decide on all my match ranks and such. I am setting time aside this weekend to start that...but I would be REALLY excited to come here. Does anyone happen to know how I go about doing a second look on the other campus I didn't interview at?

I think you can contact Leila Diaz and she can schedule for another date. She said that usually you have to do it on a Thursday or Friday since those are the interview days and they can just squeeze you in.

You realize there's already a school specific thread right?

I'm new to the site, but I got my acceptance earlier today and will be attending A&M HSC next year! It's my first choice, so it's pretty much locked in.

I'll be there in the Fall! This was my top choice, and I pre-matched on the 15th. My name is Jordan, and I'm a 23-yr-old female non-trad with a husband and 5-month-old daughter.

Hey everyone, I haven't posted on SDN in quiet awhile, but I'm a second-year in College Station, and will be moving to Temple next year. Feel free to ask me any questions about campus designation or anything else.

WELCOME, AGGIE DOCS!

I started a facebook group. I'm not sure how it works--I think I can either add you (if you add me as a friend first) or you can request to join (probably without us having to be friends on FB)...but I can't tell for sure since I can't see it from the perspective of someone who's not group admin. So y'all let me know if you have any trouble.

Join up if you're accepted already and set on A&M--and I guess even if you're not sure. If you decide you like us, you'll pick us, and if not--just leave the group later.

It's called Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine: Class of 2015

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I haven't posted on SDN in quiet awhile, but I'm a second-year in College Station, and will be moving to Temple next year. Feel free to ask me any questions about campus designation or anything else.

WELCOME, AGGIE DOCS!

:thumbup:

C/O 2015: several TAMHSC students of various years are on SDN from time to time. If you've got questions, post 'em.

M2 in Temple for all four. Welcome new class!

To any of the current TAMHSC students,

I was just wondering what surgical and medical electives are available for clinical rotations your third and fourth years. A&M easily became my first choice during the interview day, and I know it's early to think about that sort of thing, but I'm curious. Thanks in advance!

What so far has stood out about A&M for you?

I have yet to check out College Station, and really liked Temple-- my only concern is the split up nature of coursework, and taking classes via videoconference. How have you found that to be? And-- I forget if this was addressed-- is attendance mandatory during lecture, particularly if it's a video lecture? I feel like if I'm going to be watching a video lecture anyway, I may as well be able to fast-forward/pause/etc. the video for my benefit while note-taking.

Scott & White was super impressive. I got in here and Tech El Paso, so I'm trying to decide between those two-- I really like the geographic location of PFSOM, but am not sure how I feel about the unproven curriculum (read: no data on Step scores yet), its small size, and mandatory attendance. I'm a pretty independent learner, and like the idea of being able to teach myself in a more efficient way if that's what I feel works for me.

I dunno. Choices are hard. Any insight into why A&M is the most fantabulous place in Texas to get your medical education? For other potential future Aggies, some of the videos (http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/institut...unications/video-gallery/med-video/index.html) were pretty exciting to watch. :)

Oh, also, does anyone know where I can find the actual match lists for A&M from the last couple years? They have data on the website about which specialties people went into, but not which actual residencies.

To any of the current TAMHSC students,

I was just wondering what surgical and medical electives are available for clinical rotations your third and fourth years. A&M easily became my first choice during the interview day, and I know it's early to think about that sort of thing, but I'm curious. Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure there's a decent selection, but will defer to someone to answer from experience.

my only concern is the split up nature of coursework, and taking classes via videoconference. How have you found that to be? And-- I forget if this was addressed-- is attendance mandatory during lecture, particularly if it's a video lecture? I feel like if I'm going to be watching a video lecture anyway, I may as well be able to fast-forward/pause/etc. the video for my benefit while note-taking.

Oh, also, does anyone know where I can find the actual match lists for A&M from the last couple years? They have data on the website about which specialties people went into, but not which actual residencies.

Videoconferencing occasionally has a technological issue or two, but most of the time, it's just fine. People don't generally feel strongly one way or the other about it, and some people prefer teleconferencing instead of constant physical presence. Don't sweat it.

As of now, attendance is not mandatory for 95% of what you'll see on a class schedule, but there are always rumors about someone wanting to change this.

About the match lists: for the last two years I've seen them, there has been a decent spread of residencies across the country. Many choose to push for staying in -- or just match in -- Texas, but grads have gone all over the country, including some very well-known places.

What so far has stood out about A&M for you?

I have yet to check out College Station, and really liked Temple-- my only concern is the split up nature of coursework, and taking classes via videoconference. How have you found that to be? And-- I forget if this was addressed-- is attendance mandatory during lecture, particularly if it's a video lecture? I feel like if I'm going to be watching a video lecture anyway, I may as well be able to fast-forward/pause/etc. the video for my benefit while note-taking.

Scott & White was super impressive. I got in here and Tech El Paso, so I'm trying to decide between those two-- I really like the geographic location of PFSOM, but am not sure how I feel about the unproven curriculum (read: no data on Step scores yet), its small size, and mandatory attendance. I'm a pretty independent learner, and like the idea of being able to teach myself in a more efficient way if that's what I feel works for me.

I dunno. Choices are hard. Any insight into why A&M is the most fantabulous place in Texas to get your medical education? For other potential future Aggies, some of the videos (http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/institut...unications/video-gallery/med-video/index.html) were pretty exciting to watch. :)

People who rely on the lectures being recorded are occasionally disappointed due to technological malfunctions (when I say occasionally I mean like ~ 5 times per year). That being said, the powerpoints are released and contain everything you need to know for the test.

As of now the only things that are required are professionalism/ethics and clinical skills. I have heard from the M1 class that the anatomy department has made lectures de facto required by having weekly quizzes.

I don't know anything about El Paso, but the one benefit of A&M is the flexibility about where you can live. Temple is small, family friendly and close to everything (Austin, Dallas). CS has a more student-atmosphere and access to all the university amenities (rec center etc.)

i've also got a prematch here and am trying to decide between a few schools. is there anything special clinically about the round rock location? and how would you say patient population/clinical exposure compares with other schools (primarily say, san antonio)?

most importantly, are most students pretty happy being here? =] hahaa

i've also got a prematch here and am trying to decide between a few schools. is there anything special clinically about the round rock location? and how would you say patient population/clinical exposure compares with other schools (primarily say, san antonio)?

1. Have not spent much time in RR, but I've not heard many complaints about it.

2. I'd say patient exposure for M3-M4 is going to come out in the wash, at least to some extent. Sure, some schools have bigger-named hospitals than others, but I will say that I've heard several M4s say that "A&M prepared me well for my away rotation(s)" and that they didn't feel at a disadvantage compared to other students from other schools. Scott & White in Temple is a good, good thing to have. You'd have to ask someone who's done an away at other places, or other students who rotated at a TAMHSC facility, to get a really good comparison.

3. Med school is rough and self-selects for anal, "type A" people as a rule, but yeah, I think A&M is more on the laid back side of the spectrum, and the vast majority of its students are happy with where they are. :thumbup:

I know for a fact that I had had more training and more patient experience by the end of first year than a medical student in Tech.

I am in second year and am having some frustrations with the curriculum and the style of teaching of some of the professors. That being said, anyone who says that they never get frustrated with stuff like that is full of it.

Not to step on anyone's toes, but I'll chime in briefly. I prematched here this year, so I can't speak for A&M yet, though I'm looking forward to finding out. What I can speak to specifically is San Antonio. I've been a gross anatomy TA working with the med students at UTHSCSA for the last 3 years and they are pretty happy on the whole. The third year option to go down to Harlingen is amazing, as there are no real residents or interns to speak of, so you are given a lot more responsibility a lot faster. On the other hand, I'm sure Scott & White has equally amazing, though different, clinical opportunities.

All of that said, there are a few things that have swayed me to A&M next year (beyond not prematching at UTHSCSA), not the least of which is the vibe I got from the students. Like I said, all of the kids at UTHSCSA are amazing and I wouldn't trade my time with them the last few years for anything, but the ones I've spoken to and know from A&M are, on the whole, more laid back and seem to enjoy their experience a little more.

On top of that, I know UTHSCSA is going to be revamping its preclinical curriculum drastically in the next two years to be closer to what is already established at A&M, so it made sense to me to go where it's already been established.

I can't reiterate enough, but both are GREAT schools, and either place you decide to attend will, I'm sure, give you a quality education that can carry you far. In the end, it will probably be more of a matter of personal fit than anything else, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents from someone with a similar dilemma.

Not to step on anyone's toes, but I'll chime in briefly. I prematched here this year, so I can't speak for A&M yet, though I'm looking forward to finding out. What I can speak to specifically is San Antonio. I've been a gross anatomy TA working with the med students at UTHSCSA for the last 3 years and they are pretty happy on the whole. The third year option to go down to Harlingen is amazing, as there are no real residents or interns to speak of, so you are given a lot more responsibility a lot faster. On the other hand, I'm sure Scott & White has equally amazing, though different, clinical opportunities.

All of that said, there are a few things that have swayed me to A&M next year (beyond not prematching at UTHSCSA), not the least of which is the vibe I got from the students. Like I said, all of the kids at UTHSCSA are amazing and I wouldn't trade my time with them the last few years for anything, but the ones I've spoken to and know from A&M are, on the whole, more laid back and seem to enjoy their experience a little more.

On top of that, I know UTHSCSA is going to be revamping its preclinical curriculum drastically in the next two years to be closer to what is already established at A&M, so it made sense to me to go where it's already been established.

I can't reiterate enough, but both are GREAT schools, and either place you decide to attend will, I'm sure, give you a quality education that can carry you far. In the end, it will probably be more of a matter of personal fit than anything else, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents from someone with a similar dilemma.

Ditto to this. You will get a good education anywhere you go. In my opinion the most important factor is where you want to live. UTH is right in downtown Houston. Scott & White is in dinky temple. College Station, Lubbock, Dallas, San Antonio. All have pros and cons, and a person who is perfectly at home in Temple or Lubbock may cringe at the thought of living four years in downtown Houston. You know who you are and what kind of environment you would be most comfortable.

thanks so much for all the input, guys! :D it's a great help!

and i have to say, A&M is definitely sitting pretty high on my list right now. =) i interviewed at CS and can't wait to check out Temple on a second look visit soon.

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but where on the TMDSAS website do your prematch offers show up, and when? I've gotten the email and all, but still can't see it on the website.

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but where on the TMDSAS website do your prematch offers show up, and when? I've gotten the email and all, but still can't see it on the website.

Just go to the TMDSAS site, log in, and click on the bright red button that says "Click To Go To School Ranking". That should take you to your school preferences ranking list.

Thanks! I have no idea how or why I missed the obvious.

Congrats to everyone who's made it in so far. I'm a M2 who's doing all 4 in temple. If any of you have any burning questions before narrowing down the pre-match list to 1, feel free to post it here or msg me.

hey sportstownusa, what made you choose to do 4 years in Temple? how is Temple in general (aside from Scott and White)? :]

also, i was wondering how much time is allotted to study for Step 1 and Step 2? thanks!

Hey Everyone, I know this might be too early to ask, but I was just wondering when exactly do classes start at A&M?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Everyone, I know this might be too early to ask, but I was just wondering when exactly do classes start at A&M?

Thanks in advance!

Orientation week is usually late July -- 25th, 26th, whatever that Monday is this year. Class officially starts the following week.

Congrats future aggies docs!

I am an M1 up in college station and all 4 years in CS. Let me know if you have any questions

Congrats future aggies docs!

I am an M1 up in college station and all 4 years in CS. Let me know if you have any questions

Is it really hard to get assigned to your top choice track? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did you include as the reasons for your choice? I just wanna know what defines a good reason to get your top choice.

Thanks

Is it really hard to get assigned to your top choice track? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did you include as the reasons for your choice? I just wanna know what defines a good reason to get your top choice.

Thanks

I don't think it is hard to get your top choice especially if you are pre-matched or matched.
I explained why college station was a huge draw for me. I mentioned that College station had a great catholic community and how that would play a role in my development. I also mentioned how being surrounded by the primary attending during the clinical years was a huge advantage. And I mentioned how there were many intramurals in CS and a fencing team. Just get your application early and I am sure you will get your top choice

while we're on the track subject, is it possible to change tracks/locations later on for your 3rd/4th years?

say you were on a 4 years in CS track, but a family circumstance changed for you during your 2nd year, and you'd now much rather be in Temple for your 3rd and 4th years? or something similar?

while we're on the track subject, is it possible to change tracks/locations later on for your 3rd/4th years?

say you were on a 4 years in CS track, but a family circumstance changed for you during your 2nd year, and you'd now much rather be in Temple for your 3rd and 4th years? or something similar?

You can certainly request that, yep. And you'll be given a form to (re)designate your preferred home site for M3/M4 before you start rotations.

Of course, it'll depend on slot availability / other requests / your reasons / etc.

Congratulations everyone! I got pre-matched to A&M and it is my 1st choice, so I am excited!

I am a non-trad 31 yoa married female switching careers to do what I have always wanted.

Questions....
1) "Oh, also, does anyone know where I can find the actual match lists for A&M from the last couple years? They have data on the website about which specialties people went into, but not which actual residencies."
Where can I find this actual match list?
Also, where did you find the data on the website?

2) For financial aid, do most students use FASFA? Does anyone know about other loans that have a lower interest rate than 6.8%? Should I start applying for FASFA now?

Congratulations everyone! I got pre-matched to A&M and it is my 1st choice, so I am excited!

I am a non-trad 31 yoa married female switching careers to do what I have always wanted.

Questions....
1) "Oh, also, does anyone know where I can find the actual match lists for A&M from the last couple years? They have data on the website about which specialties people went into, but not which actual residencies."

2) For financial aid, do most students use FASFA? Does anyone know about other loans that have a lower interest rate than 6.8%? Should I start applying for FASFA now?

1. The generalized data is here: http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/student-affairs/residency.html

I have never seen a list of actual residencies on the school's site, but it does exist within the school -- suffice it to say that there's a wide array of residencies on it. Several primary care programs at various locations (including some well-knowns, if that's what you're interested in), and several other big names in other specialties throughout.

2. Yes, I personally don't, and I don't imagine you need to have it done right.this.moment -- in that order. As far as actually getting financial aid: it's pretty painless once you get your stuff in (FAFSA, deposit forms, etc.), though first disbursement may not be until late July or thereabout, when orientation is. Not sure if that's changed.

Questions....

There's a residency match list for the class of 2010 in the folders given out on interview day.

To all current students,

I really need to ask someone that is doing 2CS/2Temple and is already at Temple a couple of questions about this track. Please let me know if you can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

I got a pre-match, so as of right now I will be attending! It's possible that I might rank something higher depending on what city my SO will be in, but I would be happy to be in this class when all is said and done.

same here ursa!! wish you the best of luck!!

Hey guys,
Congrats on your match. I happen to stumble on this post when I was looking for a place to post a housing listing so I thought I thought I'd post this here too. I'm currently a resident finishing in June and looking to sell my house. If any med student is interested please contact me. I'm still in the process of finalizing how much we are going to offer it for, but the info I can give you is that it is in Temple, TX, 7 mins drive from S&W. 3 bedroom/2 bath. We've enjoyed it during our time here and I think others will love it as well! Please contact me via personal message and I'll get back to you.

To all current students,

I really need to ask someone that is doing 2CS/2Temple and is already at Temple a couple of questions about this track. Please let me know if you can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

I am a MSIV who is a 2+2 (CS-Temple). Feel free to shoot me any questions you have and I'll answer what I can. If I don't know I'll try and get you in touch with someone who can.