Class of 2019 say watsupppp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shinobiz11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! When's your wedding date?
I've been married for about 2 years, and she's not going to be able to join me in Kirksville at first. Medical school will be taking up most of your time so it will be important to pencil or schedule time in for your wives. My wife and I are going to force ourselves to talk on the phone for 20 minutes every night.

You might also have to have some critical conversations with them because not only will you not have much time for them, but their support will be critical during this time.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox, just wanted to lend my two cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Same here!! Technically got married in may but still a newly wed indeed. No honeymoon unfortunately, no time. Planning for one in December after first semester. You guys?

Dang! :( sucks about the honey moon!

We get married this Friday and honeymoon until July 5!

I've been married for about 2 years, and she's not going to be able to join me in Kirksville at first. Medical school will be taking up most of your time so it will be important to pencil or schedule time in for your wives. My wife and I are going to force ourselves to talk on the phone for 20 minutes every night.

You might also have to have some critical conversations with them because not only will you not have much time for them, but their support will be critical during this time.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox, just wanted to lend my two cents.

Oh yes we've had these convos a many. In the 5 years we've been together we've lived about 50 miles apart with opposite work schedules (I worked 3am - 12 pm) she works (10pm - 6am) added with my full time school schedule. So safe to say we are very use to not seeing each other for 2,3 weeks ha-ha.

But yes I agree their support I'd absolutely essential!

I'm pumped y'all! Let's do this!

And congrats to basically everyone in this thread on their recent/upcoming nuptials.

Reactions: 1 user
Ditto on the congrats. I found a very good book that I had my wife read: Med School Confidential. I got it on Kindle. Specifically, I had her read Chapter 29, which is for spouses/SOs/etc. She thought it was a pretty good read.

We've been married for about eight years with a couple of kids. My wife has full-time employment so we will definitely be balancing out work/school/social/kid calendars as best as we can.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you all! I'm another newly married student ha (March). We don't start at my school until August so I'm feeling anxious...just trying to put in the hours at work to get whatever money saved I can.

PS Nice pic Nontrad_DO_143

This countdown feels like it's taking forever. But I don't think it will be as fun once we're there

Sup everyone! I am 28, married and have 2 kids (3yr old son and a 3week old daughter). Going to LMU-DCOM and totally stoked. I feel like I won the lottery. Has been my dream for the last 6 years. My biggest concern during med school is financial. How does everyone do it with a family???? My wife is not going to work the first year due to new baby. We will be living 100% off loans. It is such a scary feeling thinking about making it work.

@OsteopathicHopeful I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe @abolt18 can give you some insight. Did you save some saving by any chance? Maybe this is a good time to use it. Fed loan may not be enough and you might need to use credit card.

Sup everyone! I am 28, married and have 2 kids (3yr old son and a 3week old daughter). Going to LMU-DCOM and totally stoked. I feel like I won the lottery. Has been my dream for the last 6 years. My biggest concern during med school is financial. How does everyone do it with a family???? My wife is not going to work the first year due to new baby. We will be living 100% off loans. It is such a scary feeling thinking about making it work.
BUDGET!!! Live cheap. You have a big car payment? Yeah, you need to downsize. Walk or ride your bike when you can. You may have to make some sacrifices on living someplace a little cheaper (we had a 3 bedroom but no storage, a small kitchen, and no garage, while all our friends had a garage and bigger 3 bedroom places, they were super strapped for cash). I actually sold my car to buy a bike that I could ride. Only just bought a new (cheap) car for rotations. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you whatever other info I can. Also, there is government assistance set up to help. WIC, medicaid, foodstamps, etc. See what's available to you when you arrive in your new home. Good luck! It's do-able. I've got a wife and 2 kids. We keep a tight ship. My wife is a stay-at-home mom and we have finished each year with loan money leftover in our account.

BUDGET!!! Live cheap. You have a big car payment? Yeah, you need to downsize. Walk or ride your bike when you can. You may have to make some sacrifices on living someplace a little cheaper (we had a 3 bedroom but no storage, a small kitchen, and no garage, while all our friends had a garage and bigger 3 bedroom places, they were super strapped for cash). I actually sold my car to buy a bike that I could ride. Only just bought a new (cheap) car for rotations. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you whatever other info I can. Also, there is government assistance set up to help. WIC, medicaid, foodstamps, etc. See what's available to you when you arrive in your new home. Good luck! It's do-able. I've got a wife and 2 kids. We keep a tight ship. My wife is a stay-at-home mom and we have finished each year with loan money leftover in our account.
We might have no other choice but to use medicaid. How quickly were you able to set that up. I will have insurance until September through where I worked. Would that be long enough time to put my whole family and I on?

We might have no other choice but to use medicaid. How quickly were you able to set that up. I will have insurance until September through where I worked. Would that be long enough time to put my whole family and I on?
Probably. Depends on the local office.

@abolt18 did you get a car for 3rd year rotation? I wonder how this and next year will pan out for you.

@abolt18 did you get a car for 3rd year rotation? I wonder how this and next year will pan out for you.
Yep. Got it for about 1500 bucks. Used money we'd saved from our tax return the previous year. So I saved a bunch in gas, insurance, registration, and maintenance during the first 2 years. Biking isn't an option 3rd year when your rotation is a 30 minute drive away.

Yep. Got it for about 1500 bucks. Used money we'd saved from our tax return the previous year. So I saved a bunch in gas, insurance, registration, and maintenance during the first 2 years. Biking isn't an option 3rd year when your rotation is a 30 minute drive away.

Just leave earlier

with school right around the corner i have no idea how I'm gonna handle 27 credits a semester

I've been so busy with moving and getting ready for school, haven't been on SDN in forever. Orientation in 5 days!

Class of 2019 what up :cool:

I feel I'm not 100% ready, but who is? Really excited to start next week!

Everyone still alive? So far we've only had anatomy that's been a load. 8 molecular medicine lectures this week. :eek: I find it funny how every second year has told us that our "doctor" classes are all crammable and focus on the hard science. Loving the OMM so far!

I just found this thread and it made me smile. I remember being in the same situation. Excited, nervous, full of hope.
Then you start and the grind literally grinds your soul down to nubs.
Then you remember, "hey, I'm in med school. I'm gonna be a doctor!" And you can put in another hour of studying.

Keep on, keeping on colleagues.