Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They didn't give an exact reason, but I think it's because they have a different income standard for a working age male than a pregnant female (i.e. A pregnant female can be making more than a male and still qualify). Since my wife is working I believe our income was to high for me to qualify but she still did.
I wasn't sure if you were working or not is why I asked. When you start school and are not working you should be able to reapply and also receive Medicaid. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Just got our orientation schedule!!! Wow this summer is really flying by. Excited but nervous!
UGA starts in exactly 3 weeks, and we haven't received the student manual or our orientation schedule. :panda:

UGA starts in exactly 3 weeks, and we haven't received the student manual or our orientation schedule. :panda:

3 weeks! Our first day at MSU is August 28th and we've had our orientation schedule and just yesterday got our student hand book.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
3 weeks! Our first day at MSU is August 28th and we've had our orientation schedule and just yesterday got our student hand book.
Yikes! Iowa orientation starts August 16 and the schedule has been up for months, same with the class schedule.

Reactions: 1 users
I've had my class schedule for a week at least!! That's something. Did your schools provide you with a list of items to buy for the upcoming year as well?

They sent ours mid June! It's like... 42 pages. It's kinda insane.

One odd thing is that they included a weekly calendar for every week this fall (schedule changes a lot). So it's kinda nice to be able to write it all down in my planner, but it's weird to see exactly what I'm gonna be doing between 9 and 5 late November.

They sent ours mid June! It's like... 42 pages. It's kinda insane.

One odd thing is that they included a weekly calendar for every week this fall (schedule changes a lot). So it's kinda nice to be able to write it all down in my planner, but it's weird to see exactly what I'm gonna be doing between 9 and 5 late November.
We have a weekly calendar too. It actually really bothers me that our classes aren't at the same time on specific days. I feel like they kind of played tetris when it came to scheduling everything lol

We have a weekly calendar too. It actually really bothers me that our classes aren't at the same time on specific days. I feel like they kind of played tetris when it came to scheduling everything lol
for the most part, it's kinda the same. But there seems to be at least one thing a week that throws the schedule off.

Our schedules are different every damn day. I have not found even similar patterns that are consistent. Oh hey look we usually get out fairly early Fridays.... never mind. It doesn't help that we do only one class at a time for a few weeks a piece, so our schedules change as we complete each class.

What??? That's... I don't even understand. What? Why one class at a time?
We take a different approach, instead of doing a typical first year schedule with like what 6-8 actual classes at a time we have the same 6-8 classes individually over the year for a few weeks. For instance our first actual class is heme/lymph/coag. It will cover basically everything about those subjects. We don't do the anatomy one class, normal status in another and potential problems in a third while in a fourth look at it in lab, while potentially having these classes over years and not necessarily coincided for when the information is presented. We have the one class for about 6 weeks 5 days a week and cover everything. Then we take the final for that class and move on to the next subject. That way there's no conflicting tests, or end of year panic.

We take a different approach, instead of doing a typical first year schedule with like what 6-8 actual classes at a time we have the same 6-8 classes individually over the year for a few weeks. For instance our first actual class is heme/lymph/coag. It will cover basically everything about those subjects. We don't do the anatomy one class, normal status in another and potential problems in a third while in a fourth look at it in lab, while potentially having these classes over years and not necessarily coincided for when the information is presented. We have the one class for about 6 weeks 5 days a week and cover everything. Then we take the final for that class and move on to the next subject. That way there's no conflicting tests, or end of year panic.
Personally I like the idea a whole lot. And I appreciate the time and effort put into developing it. It was actually a major draw for me about the school. So yeah, every day ends up being a little different, but as a whole, I believe everything is reinforced really well.

It is an interesting idea, that's for sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
Our schedules are different every damn day. I have not found even similar patterns that are consistent. Oh hey look we usually get out fairly early Fridays.... never mind. It doesn't help that we do only one class at a time for a few weeks a piece, so our schedules change as we complete each class.
Sounds like UT lol minus the last part, since most of our classes go all semester

The nice thing is that we only start at 8am 4 times this semester. The rest is at 9 am (which is great because I suck at mornings)

One thing I don't like, is on most Tuesdays and Thursdays we have Phys 2 from 9-9:50 am. A break until 11 am. Phys 1 from 11-11:50 am, and then an hour for lunch (until 12:50). I kinda wish they did the classes back to back, and then gave us 2 hours for lunch. :/

The nice thing is that we only start at 8am 4 times this semester. The rest is at 9 am (which is great because I suck at mornings)

One thing I don't like, is on most Tuesdays and Thursdays we have Phys 2 from 9-9:50 am. A break until 11 am. Phys 1 from 11-11:50 am, and then an hour for lunch (until 12:50). I kinda wish they did the classes back to back, and then gave us 2 hours for lunch. :/
Phys 2 then phys 1?

But yeah, back to back and then long lunch would make more sense because appointments and stuff

Phys 2 then phys 1?

But yeah, back to back and then long lunch would make more sense because appointments and stuff
From my understanding, different material. Idk they use the same textbook, so I assume that they start in different parts of the book. Like maybe phys 1 is cellular & molecular phys & phys 2 is organ-y phys. Idk man loll

From my understanding, different material. Idk they use the same textbook, so I assume that they start in different parts of the book. Like maybe phys 1 is cellular & molecular phys & phys 2 is organ-y phys. Idk man loll

That shet changed after I was already done. But, our class was the first class to not have the longstanding phys professor, and it was a bit of a mess, so they have hopefully figured it out now. Still sucks having to take two different types of phys at once.

And the anatomy professor is different now too, and virology... heck, it's getting less and less like it was. Weird, man.

But like why phys 2 scheduled before phys 1
Name em differently

That shet changed after I was already done. But, our class was the first class to not have the longstanding phys professor, and it was a bit of a mess, so they have hopefully figured it out now. Still sucks having to take two different types of phys at once.

And the anatomy professor is different now too, and virology... heck, it's getting less and less like it was. Weird, man.
Yeah it's all different. It's kinda weird. The new anatomy professor's already introduced herself on our Facebook, which is sweet. I think Maxwell teaches virology now, but I'm not 100% on that.

But like why phys 2 scheduled before phys 1
Name em differently
They're scheduled during the same semester. It's probably just because there's phys 3 in the spring. I really bet it's named like that because of the progression through the books (If there's 30 chapters, phys 1 is 1-10, phys 2 is 11-20, phys 3 is 21-30). But it is what it is!

Yeah it's all different. It's kinda weird. The new anatomy professor's already introduced herself on our Facebook, which is sweet. I think Maxwell teaches virology now, but I'm not 100% on that.

I'll just tell you that I made a face at that, and you can try and guess where it was a good face or a bad face.

Personally I like the idea a whole lot. And I appreciate the time and effort put into developing it. It was actually a major draw for me about the school. So yeah, every day ends up being a little different, but as a whole, I believe everything is reinforced really well.

I would love to have block scheduling. One of my friends had it for undergrad and the idea really stuck with me.

Hey, any chance you can send me that orientation schedule? I'm signed up to work at it, but we've heard absolutely nothing

Our schedules are different every day too, which makes scheduling it into my google calendar a hassle. I was also told during my tour that classes were 8am to 3pm...I was unfortunately bamboozled because we definitely have a fair amount of 8am to 5pm days :(

We have two or three core classes throughout the entire semester, but there are some classes that take up only a few weeks. I suppose that's the reason why they decided to do the scheduling all wonky!

Our schedules are different every day too, which makes scheduling it into my google calendar a hassle. I was also told during my tour that classes were 8am to 3pm...I was unfortunately bamboozled because we definitely have a fair amount of 8am to 5pm days :(

We have two or three core classes throughout the entire semester, but there are some classes that take up only a few weeks. I suppose that's the reason why they decided to do the scheduling all wonky!
Do you have labs in the afternoon? First year our afternoon labs are technically scheduled until 4 or 5, but we often got done early depending on what we were doing.

I've been trying to get my rabies vaccination series done before school starts just to avoid the hassle. The health department never answers their phones, even during business hours. I've left them two different messages, giving them a week in between, and they haven't returned any of my calls. It's driving me insane! With my hectic work schedule, it's hard enough to make time to call/get the vaccines during business hours, so the least they could do is call back. I'm getting ready to just show up and be a little irate about it. :mad:

I've been trying to get my rabies vaccination series done before school starts just to avoid the hassle. The health department never answers their phones, even during business hours. I've left them two different messages, giving them a week in between, and they haven't returned any of my calls. It's driving me insane! With my hectic work schedule, it's hard enough to make time to call/get the vaccines during business hours, so the least they could do is call back. I'm getting ready to just show up and be a little irate about it. :mad:
Ughhh. I'm just getting them when I get there (per surgeon's orders), but that sucks. Ughhhhh. I'm sorry!

Ugh, I feel you. Trying to deal with unresponsive people is infuriating!

If you haven't already, check with your school about availability to get them there. I can only speak to UGA, but they will do them once you are there for a reasonable price in the student health office and they'll even help schedule you. I also heard from some current students that if you don't have them when you get there, you might even be paid to get them for joining a study (they give you the shots, draw blood along the way to monitor immune response, you get paid). Of course, it may be different for other schools, but I'm sure most that don't require you to have completed the series by day 1 probably have something in place that might be easier than working with your local Health Department. (As an aside: I am one of the 2 rabies SMEs for my state health department, if you lived in my state I would respond! I'm actually up responding to after-hours consultations right now. We're not all bad!).

OKstate schedules set times for first years to get them if I recall correctly. Makes it hassle free. I luckily had mine a couple years before due to working with wildlife. Kaiser paid for them in their entirety too. I miss good insurance. haha

OKstate schedules set times for first years to get them if I recall correctly. Makes it hassle free. I luckily had mine a couple years before due to working with wildlife. Kaiser paid for them in their entirety too. I miss good insurance. haha
Oh do they? That's nice- hopefully they do that. They gave us a scheduling number for UHS with the message "It is imperative that you call us early to reserve your medication!"

Also recommend checking and double checking with your current insurance to see if the pre-exposure rabies series is covered. Had been told by an older vet student that Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA covered it, but when I called BCBS, the representative couldn't seem to get past the word "rabies" and kept saying you have to go to the ER for a rabies shot and that it would not be covered. Couldn't get them to understand it was a pre-exposure vaccination. At the end of the day, our primary care doctor wrote a prescription that was filled by Walgreens. The pharmacist checked and confirmed that it was indeed covered by BCBS and was FREE!!

If you haven't already, check with your school about availability to get them there. I can only speak to UGA, but they will do them once you are there for a reasonable price in the student health office and they'll even help schedule you. I also heard from some current students that if you don't have them when you get there, you might even be paid to get them for joining a study (they give you the shots, draw blood along the way to monitor immune response, you get paid). Of course, it may be different for other schools, but I'm sure most that don't require you to have completed the series by day 1 probably have something in place that might be easier than working with your local Health Department. (As an aside: I am one of the 2 rabies SMEs for my state health department, if you lived in my state I would respond! I'm actually up responding to after-hours consultations right now. We're not all bad!).
The health department's price was significantly cheaper than the university's but at this point I may just end up going with the university if I can't get anything done with them when I drive up after work tomorrow. And I would jump on the chance to do a study if it were presented to me. I have no problem being a lab rat. :) That's super neat that you work specifically with rabies-related things at the health department!

Anyone have any gloves suggestions for anatomy? The only kind I've used are the Henry Schein nitrile gloves (the kind that come in the colorful boxes based on size yellow, pink, blue, black, grey, and the gloves are a purpleish color) and it doesn't appear that I have the ability to order those. ??

Anyone have any gloves suggestions for anatomy? The only kind I've used are the Henry Schein nitrile gloves (the kind that come in the colorful boxes based on size yellow, pink, blue, black, grey, and the gloves are a purpleish color) and it doesn't appear that I have the ability to order those. ??
Erm. I ordered some nitrile gloves on amazon lol

I felt like nitrile blocked the smell a little better than latex (which was what I used), but I don't have a good recommendation about where to buy them. I asked the supervisor of my lab if she'd miss one box of gloves if they happened to grow legs and walk away and she said no, so...

...... Does Amazon sell bright pink gloves?

...... Does Amazon sell bright pink gloves?
Like these?

IMG_2864.jpg