Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My best friend turned out to be pretty allergic to the formalin/formaldehyde or whatever preservative they used. Even when she used gloves and wore a lab coat, the skin on her inner arms and the backs of her hands would get red and irritated. Our group developed a system where she told us what to find/cut and how to locate it, we'd locate it, show her, and then we'd complete the dissection. She did end up touching stuff to study, but we way minimized her contact with the actual tissues.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Old boss lady was such a stickler about gloves. She got mad every time she saw someone wearing them (even though there are many legitimate reasons an assistant would want to wear gloves in a vet hospital . . . ) because they're "so expensive." :rolleyes:
At the last place I worked at, one of the clinicians would chew your a** if she saw you touch any patient without gloves, for any reason. And you better be switching in between too.

Members don't see this ad :)
My Big Sib reached out to me today!! :soexcited:

She lives in the same town where my SO's family owns their farm market (like 40 minutes from our vet school) and she bought a ton of her herbs/veggies from them this year.

Reactions: 10 users

She lives in the same town where my SO's family owns their farm market (like 40 minutes from our vet school) and she bought a ton of her herbs/veggies from them this year.
That's so exciting! I can't wait to find out who my little sib is :D

Reactions: 1 users
Ooh, me neither! I'm so excited! :)

Aww Sandy!! Mom's are great for that sort of thing. My mom and I lived really close to each other until she moved to New Jersey. I really miss all the special things she did for me.

I'm still waiting for mine to match/ reach out to me!

You hear that? If you're on SDN, and you happen to go to OkSU, and you happen to be c/o 20, and you happen to be browsing the c/o 21 thread, and you happen to be my big, you should contact me. Please contact me I want to know who you are.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm still waiting for mine to match/ reach out to me!

You hear that? If you're on SDN, and you happen to go to OkSU, and you happen to be c/o 20, and you happen to be browsing the c/o 21 thread, and you happen to be my big, you should contact me. Please contact me I want to know who you are.
She's a mild stalker... don't worry it's mostly cute!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the first one the street number, the second the street name, and the third what color your house is?

Close. I don't know what color my house is and I'm sure I'll be too lazy to look. I'll give you the color of my car in the driveway. It's gonna be a real challenge.

Reactions: 2 users
So I had a pair of tennis shoes that have seen their time (I bought them in like March of 2014). They're what I run and kick box in (and what I used to climb in them) and I wore them at the clinic for 2 summers and to most of my labs. I've had 4-5 different insoles for them because the others have been worn through. Basically they've been through a lot. I'm getting a new pair of tennis shoes, and I go to throw them out, and I realized that these old ones would be perfect for anatomy so I don't have to worry about them getting gross. (I'm protective of my shoes idk)

So they got scrubbed up and soaked in my favorite stain remover. I scrubbed the rubber and they're soaking, about to go in the washing machine right now for the second time. (I like to rinse and repeat lol. Scrub, wash, scrub, wash) They look great! They'll sit out in the sun and after ~21 seconds in this heat and sun, I'm sure they'll be perfectly dry. :laugh: (Okay maybe more like 8 hours but still)

Saw this in Phoenix today so I stopped to take a pic for you @cdoconn ;)
IMG_5488.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
So I had a pair of tennis shoes that have seen their time (I bought them in like March of 2014). They're what I run and kick box in (and what I used to climb in them) and I wore them at the clinic for 2 summers and to most of my labs. I've had 4-5 different insoles for them because the others have been worn through. Basically they've been through a lot. I'm getting a new pair of tennis shoes, and I go to throw them out, and I realized that these old ones would be perfect for anatomy so I don't have to worry about them getting gross. (I'm protective of my shoes idk)

So they got scrubbed up and soaked in my favorite stain remover. I scrubbed the rubber and they're soaking, about to go in the washing machine right now for the second time. (I like to rinse and repeat lol. Scrub, wash, scrub, wash) They look great! They'll sit out in the sun and after ~21 seconds in this heat and sun, I'm sure they'll be perfectly dry. :laugh: (Okay maybe more like 8 hours but still)
Omg. So obvious wear and tear aside, these cleaned up amazingly. Gotta get a new pair of soles and they'll be good as new. (The rubber hasn't been that white since I bought them hahahahah)

IMG_2914.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Somehow I feel as though they do not have quail eggs
Haha. Somehow I believe you are really smart or really good at guessing ski :D

Do you think I could walk in there and start taking money. "oh don't worry, I own the place. I am egg."
It would be quite amusing if you did. They would probably say something like, "Are you here to make a donation ma'am?" Haha

Omg. So obvious wear and tear aside, these cleaned up amazingly. Gotta get a new pair of soles and they'll be good as new. (The rubber hasn't been that white since I bought them hahahahah)

View attachment 221591
I got scolded by my physical therapist for keeping the same tennis shoes for six months. :rolleyes:

I got scolded by my physical therapist for keeping the same tennis shoes for six months. :rolleyes:
I think your physical therapist is in the pocket of Big Shoe.

Reactions: 6 users
I think your physical therapist is in the pocket of Big Shoe.
True. But I apparently walk really weirdly. I swing my hips to move forward instead of using the full leg/ankle/foot extension stuff (because who has time for that) and it wears out the bottom of my shoes pretty badly.

...I've since been trained to walk normally.

True. But I apparently walk really weirdly. I swing my hips to move forward instead of using the full leg/ankle/foot extension stuff (because who has time for that) and it wears out the bottom of my shoes pretty badly.

...I've since been trained to walk normally.
I can't really picture what this looks like. I'm picturing like, a duck or bird of some sort . . . But hey, walking normally is overrated. ;)

She also cared about how much water we used while cleaning, how quickly we went through paper towels, how many times we reused the same post-it notes . . .
That sounds like my old boss! She never complained about water, but she'd get annoyed if we used too many paper towels, made us re-use trash bags, etc. She was annoyingly frugal.

Did you just not touch anything? I can't imagine touching cadavers without gloves.
Some people in my lab group would occasionally touch things without gloves, it grossed me out. My whole group got very lazy towards the end of the semester, there would be 1-2 people dissecting and the rest of us sitting back reading the book to them and watching. I rarely bothered to change into scrubs or put gloves on. :laugh:

At the last place I worked at, one of the clinicians would chew your a** if she saw you touch any patient without gloves, for any reason. And you better be switching in between too.
:eek: Neither clinic I worked at made us wear gloves with patients, unless we were doing something really gross, or we were concerned the patient may have lepto or something.

:eek: Neither clinic I worked at made us wear gloves with patients, unless we were doing something really gross, or we were concerned the patient may have lepto or something.
I will admit that when I worked at night, I didn't always follow it, lol. None of the other clinicians cared.

Driving 7-9 hours from parents' house to Omaha. Must stop every two hours due to doctor's orders. :dead:. Vaguely annoyed.

Ouch. That's rough. Did he say how long you have to stop for?

About ten minutes with actual walking. My DO knows I'll cheat cause she's been my doctor since high school. Lol. Explicit instructions to walk around and not just sit in the car.

Reactions: 5 users