Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About ten minutes with actual walking. My DO knows I'll cheat cause she's been my doctor since high school. Lol. Explicit instructions to walk around and not just sit in the car.
I like her ;) best of luck on your trip!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
About ten minutes with actual walking. My DO knows I'll cheat cause she's been my doctor since high school. Lol. Explicit instructions to walk around and not just sit in the car.
Hahahahaha I feel that. My family used to drive from Texas to Chicago for Thanksgiving every year. The only time we ever stopped was if it was an actual emergency/ we needed gas.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to drive through Nebraska, let me know if you find anything cool while stopping!

Will do! You going I-80? My undergrad was in the panhandle, so I haven't gone east very often. I think the state is beautiful, but I'm biased. ;)

Hahahahaha I feel that. My family used to drive from Texas to Chicago for Thanksgiving every year. The only time we ever stopped was if it was an actual emergency/ we needed gas.

Best way to travel!!!! My literal get 'er done moment!!!

Yup I'm passing through 22 states! Should see a good chunk of the country :)
Enjoy the beautiful scenery!

Rest, laugh, smile and celebrate!

Hey, I finally saw this secret photo of the REAL Mr. Coopah. You're a lucky gal with him sharing the steering wheel on your road trip!

dog driver.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to drive through Nebraska, let me know if you find anything cool while stopping!

So I only stopped at rest areas cause I didn't want to stop at all. Lol. But they showed several cool things along I-80. Buffalo Bill's ranch home is along there, a pony express station, so many antique malls, some cool historical things, a crane trust place east of Kearney. Of course Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. There's a museum west of Kearney (maybe Lincoln....) that's a massive arch/bridge over I-80.

Driving 7-9 hours from parents' house to Omaha. Must stop every two hours due to doctor's orders. :dead:. Vaguely annoyed.
I usually try to stop only once on the 9 hour trip from TN to FL but unfortunate timing yesterday so ended up stopping 4 times. Probably better for my health but so annoying...

I usually try to stop only once on the 9 hour trip from TN to FL but unfortunate timing yesterday so ended up stopping 4 times. Probably better for my health but so annoying...

The old way I was driving was stopping once between Illinois and home/undergrad. Stop was halfway at ~500 miles

Gotta love my suburban with the 44 gallon tank!

Never realized how comfortable my parents' suburban was for long trips until I got my own car. My butt and back start killing me after 3 hours in my coupe....

Never realized how comfortable my parents' suburban was for long trips until I got my own car. My butt and back start killing me after 3 hours in my coupe....

No joke. My grandpa keeps trying to get me to get a new vehicle. I keep saying no. Lol. Granted, I am waiting to see how my gas milage was with stopping every two hours for this first leg.

I'm doing a 2.5 hour trip to see my best friend in another city and my other friend suggested she drives.

She has three stops planned for food/ bathroom breaks in two and a half hours. Omg nooooo

Y'all are crazy. I need to stop every couple hours. even to get out and stretch my legs. Not nearly as bad in my outback but with my old car my back would start hurting after an hour or so... Plus I need to drink all the caffeine to stay away which means more bathroom breaks. :p

Y'all are crazy. I need to stop every couple hours. even to get out and stretch my legs. Not nearly as bad in my outback but with my old car my back would start hurting after an hour or so... Plus I need to drink all the caffeine to stay away which means more bathroom breaks. :p
If I'm not driving, I like to stop about every 5-6 hours to stretch my legs and pee. If I am driving, I'm drinking all the caffeine and will like to stop every 3 hours. I just like to get there and we can't do that if we're always stopping to pee!!!!

I'm doing a 2.5 hour trip to see my best friend in another city and my other friend suggested she drives.

She has three stops planned for food/ bathroom breaks in two and a half hours. Omg nooooo
Whyyyyyy
I regularly drive 4 hours up north and do not stop at all. I just want to get there and get out of the car. I don't need no stops

Whyyyyyy
I regularly drive 4 hours up north and do not stop at all. I just want to get there and get out of the car. I don't need no stops
The only time I usually stop is in pinconning for cheese on the way up

Jesus. She realizes that's wasting time? That's adding at least half an hour to your trip!

What kind of cheese is pinconning cheese (unless that's not the type of cheese you're stopping for)
Cheese in pinconning is Colby I believe

So... I finally got my medical records from the hospital in VA which show that I got rabies shots #2 and 3. But rabies shot #1 still hasn't been added to my record of immunizations that I get from my dr. So waiting on that to be fixed so they can mail it to me and I can finish getting that business taken care of.

Still need to buy a parking pass, a stethoscope, a combination lock, hopefully a new laptop, hopefully a new backpack, and get my health insurance waiver done... but the list of "things to do before classes start" is steadily getting smaller.

Also, I survived my research presentation today so that was a beautiful thing. There was basically radio silence during time for questions though so that was uncomfortable.

Reactions: 10 users
So... I finally got my medical records from the hospital in VA which show that I got rabies shots #2 and 3. But rabies shot #1 still hasn't been added to my record of immunizations that I get from my dr. So waiting on that to be fixed so they can mail it to me and I can finish getting that business taken care of.

Still need to buy a parking pass, a stethoscope, a combination lock, hopefully a new laptop, hopefully a new backpack, and get my health insurance waiver done... but the list of "things to do before classes start" is steadily getting smaller.

Also, I survived my research presentation today so that was a beautiful thing. There was basically radio silence during time for questions though so that was uncomfortable.

Woo!!! Congrats on presentation Finn. I'm so not looking forward to buying that parking pa$$. I'm waiting on my Rabies titers to come back, but got my Tdap boostered 2 weeks ago, and in August need to get a new TB test done. New backpack is definitely on my list. Would also like a new computer but can't decide if that's truly a need just yet. And I have a combo lock on my work locker at the teaching hospital that I assume I'll give up when I become a student, so I just need to grab that.

Yay congrats on being done with your research stuff!!

Woo!!! Congrats on presentation Finn. I'm so not looking forward to buying that parking pa$$. I'm waiting on my Rabies titers to come back, but got my Tdap boostered 2 weeks ago, and in August need to get a new TB test done. New backpack is definitely on my list. Would also like a new computer but can't decide if that's truly a need just yet. And I have a combo lock on my work locker at the teaching hospital that I assume I'll give up when I become a student, so I just need to grab that.

Sadly new computer is approaching being a need for me. My current laptop doesn't charge anymore, the mouse pad is pretty worn, the keys are rubbing off, and one of the keys actually keeps falling off. I can survive on it for now, but it gives me trouble and I foresee it just flat out dying at some point. Would like to replace before that happens so ideally I want to do that before classes start but... depends on whether I have the money. May or may not go for getting the one time budget increase to cover it but even if I go that route, it's a reimbursement so that money has to initially come from somewhere. Blah.

So I started this low carb diet a month ago to lose enough weight to apply for the HPSP... I've lost 18.4 pounds and 11 body fat percentages (based on the army scale). I have 13 more percentages to go.. I meet with her again in a month to check in on my progress. Hoping to meet it in 1-2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Sadly new computer is approaching being a need for me. My current laptop doesn't charge anymore, the mouse pad is pretty worn, the keys are rubbing off, and one of the keys actually keeps falling off. I can survive on it for now, but it gives me trouble and I foresee it just flat out dying at some point. Would like to replace before that happens so ideally I want to do that before classes start but... depends on whether I have the money. May or may not go for getting the one time budget increase to cover it but even if I go that route, it's a reimbursement so that money has to initially come from somewhere. Blah.
I had to buy a new computer this month and it was so worth it. My old computer had a midlife crisis halfway through undergrad and was shoddily repaired, but I still managed to get 6 years of use out of him. He would randomly decide not to save or open word files, internet was butt slow, couldn't play music, movies, or Netflix/YouTube . . . I bought a refurbished laptop from Dell. It came with a Windows operating error that was frustrating but fixable (there was a lot of info online, and my mom knew how to write the code I needed) and now it's the best computer I've ever worked on. Just under $500 for computer and Microsoft. I didn't realize how many headaches I was putting up with until I started using a machine without them.

So I started this low carb diet a month ago to lose enough weight to apply for the HPSP... I've lost 18.4 pounds and 11 body fat percentages (based on the army scale). I have 13 more percentages to go.. I meet with her again in a month to check in on my progress. Hoping to meet it in 1-2 months.

Awesome job!! Wtg @cheathac!! Keep up the hard work! You've got this!:claps:

I mean... not completely done yet but almost there and the hard part is over. All I've got from here on out is the poster and a final paper which should both be fairly straightforward.
So are you not going to the D.C. research thingy? But also I'm glad the hard part is over!!

Yay cheathac!!!!

Sooo.... some of the teaching dogs have came in this week and I've spent some time with them and have fallen in love with one. Just turned 1 year old a few days ago... a sweet yellow lab that will crawl in my lap and lick me all over! Super calm, doesn't bark, and is potty trained. She's also a smaller lab. Really thinking about adopting her next Spring. The person in charge of the program has seen how much I like her and is going to try to put me with her for our husbandry class. I'm talking to current vet students who have adopted dogs from this program to see how it works with school. There is actually a doggie daycare about a mile from me that I would bring her to a couple times a week.

Sooo.... some of the teaching dogs have came in this week and I've spent some time with them and have fallen in love with one. Just turned 1 year old a few days ago... a sweet yellow lab that will crawl in my lap and lick me all over! Super calm, doesn't bark, and is potty trained. She's also a smaller lab. Really thinking about adopting her next Spring. The person in charge of the program has seen how much I like her and is going to try to put me with her for our husbandry class. I'm talking to current vet students who have adopted dogs from this program to see how it works with school. There is actually a doggie daycare about a mile from me that I would bring her to a couple times a week.

I'm going to be an enabler and enable you.

DOOOOOO IIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to be an enabler and enable you.

DOOOOOO IIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!

DOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT

@SkiOtter @Awapi @batsenecal Like how can I not? My mom is cool with it... apartment lets us have dogs.. we get discounts on food/vet care as vet students.. she comes from a great breeder than donates dogs every year... the first day of class I'm going to have to tell the members in my group that I'm planning on adopting her! I just hope she gets along with my cat. All the vet students that have adopted these dogs have told me it's a good deal! She'll have all of her shots and will most likely be spayed if she's not already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

Well take one thing off the list for now, I don't think parking passes are for sale until the beginning of August.

I don't know what your options are, but if anything offers rights to both lot 91/92 get that. 91 is much closer to where classes will be

View attachment 221857

@SkiOtter @Awapi @batsenecal Like how can I not? My mom is cool with it... apartment lets us have dogs.. we get discounts on food/vet care as vet students.. she comes from a great breeder than donates dogs every year... the first day of class I'm going to have to tell the members in my group that I'm planning on adopting her! I just hope she gets along with my cat. All the vet students that have adopted these dogs have told me it's a good deal! She'll have all of her shots and will most likely be spayed if she's not already.

Ugh she's so cute. Better claim her day 1 before your group mates can before you

Ugh she's so cute. Better claim her day 1 before your group mates can before you

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I've already expressed interest to the lady that is in charge of the program. She looked at my name and is going to hopefully put me in her group. They're also pretty selective on who the dog goes to. They want the dog to choose their person and want students to know how big of a commitment it is. She said I picked a good one though. I know this is a big commitment, but if I'm going to get a dog, I want one that is as good as this one!